55 Tank Update!

KingKong

So after getting some gravel and some live plants, I managed to buff up my tank a bit - not really.

I've also added a AC 70 ($32 off Ebay), topping off with a total tank filtration of 650 gph.

So here are the pics:

IMG_3910-vert.jpg

Not much of a change...

IMG_3987.jpg

Anacharis - already starting to root (except for the uprooted one)

IMG_3983.jpg

Marimo Balls.

IMG_4003.jpg

Whats left after my goldfish's Dwarf Hairgrass Rebellion....

IMG_4009.jpg

Replanted all the hairgrass twice - now it's just a gunky clean up job for me...

IMG_4006.jpg

The AC 70! (Very silent - love it better between my Penguin already)

About the fish:

- My orange ranchu died awhile ago after getting all recovered from fungus and then getting suck in the Penguins intake tube after the strainer fell off. :blowup:

- All got used to 76 F water - no more mating behavior (caused the fungus on the ranchu who passed away), and they all seem more active!

- Got a new lionhead two weeks ago that I couldn't pass down. (Only quarantined it for a week..... :oops: )

I'll get photos of the new guy soon.

Looks cool dude. i just worry about the amount of gravel you have in there :o

Not enough?

Hi KK...how are you keeping? :thumb:

Far too much I'm afraid my friend.....that thickness of substrate would attract and collect unfriendly and unwanted bacteria. :no:

BTW...Apart from that minor criticism the tank is looking brilliant with you!!!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Edited by Phillyn17

Looks great! :)

Like others said, it looks like you may have a little more gravel than is necessary (but pictures can be deceiving). What you can do is keep a decent amount of gravel where the anacharis is (about an inch should be fine) and remove gravel from other areas of the tank that are not planted to keep it at about 1/4-1/2 an inch at most in unplanted areas :)

• Admin

Looks cool dude. i just worry about the amount of gravel you have in there :o

Not enough?

Hi KK...how are you keeping? :thumb:

Far too much I'm afraid my friend.....that thickness of substrate would attract and collect unfriendly and unwanted bacteria. :no:

BTW...Apart from that minor criticism the tank is looking brilliant with you!!!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

:bingo:

I really like the look of the tank WITH substrate. It just looks too spartan and too much unlike any ecosystem without.

I echo the others in saying that while substrate is great, a little goes a long way. :)

• Supporter

It looks so cool. I really like the way you did the gravel. I had issues with deep gravel when I first started out keeping goldfish. I caused me to lose all but one of my goldfish. Bad, bad bacteria loves to live in deep gravel. It's a pitty because what you did looks amazing. :)