Can I put my snails in Main tank?

Mikey

I have had them in a bucket with daily WC and feeding with algae wafers. I have had them for about. 2-3 weeks now. Would it be okay to put them in?

As long as they look healthy you can add them.

(But you are already overstocked, hun. I wouldn't add more to that tank that will add to the bioload. :( )

:(. I didn't think if that. But yes they do look very healthy. And the one snail is tiny and doesn't take up much space at all. And the other one is bigger. I have an ivory and black mystery snail.

Those guys get large and produce a good amount of waste. :(

I know :cry. I don't know what to do? My pet store probably won't take them back (we just can't keep snails we don't know why). And I really just don't know. :(. I am trying to get in the routine of doing at least a 50% water change on the weekends.

There are 6 small Goldie's and 2 AC filters 600 GPH in total.

What about putting an add on crage list ( i think its called ) and try to sale them, or give them away. Trade for a plant or something.

Good luck.

What about putting an add on crage list ( i think its called ) and try to sale them, or give them away. Trade for a plant or something.

Good luck.

I can try that :). But I do have an under stocked ten gallon so I was thinking about putting the smaller one in my 55 and the larger one in the 10. :)

Don't you have a goldfish in the 10? If you do then no the snails cannot go in there.

Have to agree, wouldn`t be a good idea. if you do.

If you really want to keep them another 10g setup would be the best. they have there needs as well.

Don't you have a goldfish in the 10? If you do then no the snails cannot go in there.

No I would not put the snail with that goldfish :). I have 2 ten gallon setups. The one I am putting it in has 0 across the board and a pH of 7.0 :)

Have to agree, wouldn`t be a good idea. if you do.

If you really want to keep them another 10g setup would be the best. they have there needs as well.

Nope :). I have two 10 gallo. Tanks the one I am putting it in has 0 across the board and a pH of 7.0 :D!

Snail sizes are deceptive. While they may look small, they are major waste producers and have a big impact on the tank's bio load.

They can also incubate diseases that won't affect them, but can sicken your fish. Snails are great hosts for bacteria and illness. When possible, just say no to snails in goldfish aquariums. :)

Do you have some cycled media to put in the filter? That might be a great setup for the snails for now, just to get them out of the bucket. :)

The tanks been running almost a year :). Then should I try nerite snails like Sakura has?

Edited by mikeydude319

Snail sizes are deceptive. While they may look small, they are major waste producers and have a big impact on the tank's bio load.

They can also incubate diseases that won't affect them, but can sicken your fish. Snails are great hosts for bacteria and illness. When possible, just say no to snails in goldfish aquariums. :)

What about the nerite snails that Sakura has? Can I try those?

Edited by mikeydude319

The snails would do fine in the 10 gallon set up! Just make sure to not put them through a cycle, and use some cycled media in the filter. It might be fun to do an invert tank, if you are planning on doing a 10 gallon just for the snails. Maybe add a couple of colorful nerites, and some dwarf shrimp with a bunch of plants along with them?

No, nerites are just as wasteful. Please no more snails or fish in the main tank until you can rectify your stocking situation.

Which tank has been running for a year? The empty 10 or your main?

(edit) Jamie has some good ideas there!

Edited by ChelseaM

What about the merits snails that Sakura has? Can I try those?

Darlin' the point people are trying to make is that you shouldn't add ANYTHING to an overstocked tank. It isn't a question of what variety of snails being added- it is a question of not adding anything else that will add to your tank's already overwhelmed bioload. Sorry. :(

Do a 10 gallon invert tank, then you can keep your mystery snails, get a couple of nerites, and even add a few shrimp... don't overstock it, though, and give them lots of pretty plants. It will be a really pretty tank, even with no fish.

No, nerites are just as wasteful. Please no more snails or fish in the main tank until you can rectify your stocking situation.

Which tank has been running for a year? The empty 10 or your main?

(edit) Jamie has some good ideas there!

Okay here are my tanks. A 55 that has been running for 3 years

A QT ten gallon running for a month or two

And a ten gallon with sand, driftwood, and plants running for almost a year. It has 3 sunny fish.

(I am releasing the sunny fish back into the lake when it's warmer). My friend caught them and set me up a tank for them so I kept them for a little and now they are going back to the lake when it's warmer. So all I would have is snails in there.

Edited by mikeydude319

What about the merits snails that Sakura has? Can I try those?

Darlin' the point people are trying to make is that you shouldn't add ANYTHING to an overstocked tank. It isn't a question of what variety of snails being added- it is a question of not adding anything else that will add to your tank's already overwhelmed bioload. Sorry. :(

Do a 10 gallon invert tank, then you can keep your mystery snails, get a couple of nerites, and even add a few shrimp... don't overstock it, though, and give them lots of pretty plants. It will be a really pretty tank, even with no fish.

Could I put a crayfish in there? I have shrimp pellets for it and I could get elodea for the tank :).

Pardon my ignorance, but what are 'sunny fish'?

I really couldn't tell you. My friend brought them over from the lake and set me up a tank. They are maybe 1 inch each.

Let me find a picture of one.

Edited by mikeydude319

You'd have to wait to do an invert tank, until the sunfish were released.

Appropriate stock levels for a 10 gallon invert tank would be right around your 2 mystery snails, 2 of the larger nerite snails, and right around 10 dwarf shrimp (like the cherry shrimp, snowflake shrimp, or bumble bee shrimp, etc)

Crawfish are usually recommended for 30 gallons minimum, and if you did get one that woud stay small enough, you would have ot really REALLY watch him to make sure he didn't harass and/or kill your snails.

You'd have to wait to do an invert tank, until the sunfish were released.

Appropriate stock levels for a 10 gallon invert tank would be right around your 2 mystery snails, 2 of the larger nerite snails, and right around 10 dwarf shrimp (like the cherry shrimp, snowflake shrimp, or bumble bee shrimp, etc)

Crawfish are usually recommended for 30 gallons minimum, and if you did get one that woud stay small enough, you would have ot really REALLY watch him to make sure he didn't harass and/or kill your snails.

I'll just get the shrimp maybe :). But my mom said in order to upgrade my tank, I would need to talk about it in the summer and take that tank down I will try and convince her tinker me keep it running though. What do shrimp eat? I have shrimp pellets I could throw in.

Sunfish are a wild type of lake fish, and usually get to be about 6"-10" or so. You can usually find them the same places you find rock bass, bluegills, and crappies. They are similar to the bluegills and crappies. They usually need pretty large tanks, to be kept for a long time, as they do get fairly large, and are very heavy waste producers.