Fluval 305 canister - will it restart after power is turned off for 1hr

Hi guys over the next week there will be a new electricity meter installed on my property, to install the meter the electricity company will need to turn the power off for approx 30min -1 hour. They haven't given me a specific time so I can't turn my filter off at the wall in advance and most likely I will be at work so I can't make sure everything is running smoothly with the filter anyway once the power returns.

My question is will my Fluval 305 canister filter restart no problems once the power is turned back on?

Edited by salvo

I use to have a 205 and we lost power every winter ( still do ) 20 to 30mins, and it always started up again on its own.

I still wouldnt feel good about not checking it though. Anyway you can get home ( once you get the time ) to make sure ?

Hi guys over the next week there will be a new electricity meter installed on my property, to install the meter the electricity company will need to turn the power off for approx 30min -1 hour. They haven't given me a specific time so I can't turn my filter off at the wall in advance and most likely I will be at work so I can't make sure everything is running smoothly with the filter anyway once the power returns.

My question is will my Fluval 305 canister filter restart no problems once the power is turned back on?

Hi salvo.....how are you today my friend?

I operate two Fluval 305's (along with several others) in my two 4 foot tanks. If you compare this electric power loss you expect with that of a routine filter clean, you will have no restart problems.

What I would suggest, is if you expect to be at work when the meter installation occurs, don't only turn off the filter in advance before leaving (a several hour shut-off shouldn't affect your tank water conditions too dramatically, and even if it does, they will soon recover), but also shut off the flow valve as if you were disconnecting the tap to clean the filter canister. This would prevent any reverse syphoning of the water in both the extractor and the return pipes during the disconnection.

What I would also suggest is that there's a possibility that your return pipe may have some internal furring/algae/gunge present....to prevent loose deposits of this entering the tank, just place a piece of panty hose over the return outlet on re-start. Secure this with an elastic band, and leave it in place for several minutes following the re-start; remove it when you are happy no debris/gunge is entering your tank....

If you do experience large amounts of these deposits entering your tank ( they won't harm the fish, it's just that they don't look too pretty inside your tank, and could take some time to disperse), you may wish to consider removing the return pipe completely, and clean the internal surface of the tubing. Such algae/gunge accumulation in extreme conditions will also affect, and reduce your return flow rate....not good!!

Believe me...you will be OK... hope this helps. :thumb:

Edited by Phillyn17

Thanks guys for all your replies :)

I take it you dont have a car battery and power invertor to keep the filter going?

No Flips no battery, power will only be turned off for a short while tho

Phillyn thanks for your lengthy reply, I would turn the filter off in advance and shut off the flow valve however the problem is I don't know what day they are coming to install the meter all I know is it is within the next 7 days so it could be any time any day next week. I love the idea of putting the stocking over the outlet to stop the gungy stuff going back into the tank that is a great tip!

So it sounds as tho the fluval should restart fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

I am not sure they will do this .. BUT it wouldn't hurt to call and tell them you have special fish ( hey they are special to us right?) that require the electricity to be on and you are worried about filter turning on and off. Maybe they could at least tell you the specific day. It never hurts to ask (or beg) LOL

Good luck!

Thanks guys for all your replies :)

I take it you dont have a car battery and power invertor to keep the filter going?

No Flips no battery, power will only be turned off for a short while tho

Phillyn thanks for your lengthy reply, I would turn the filter off in advance and shut off the flow valve however the problem is I don't know what day they are coming to install the meter all I know is it is within the next 7 days so it could be any time any day next week. I love the idea of putting the stocking over the outlet to stop the gungy stuff going back into the tank that is a great tip!

So it sounds as tho the fluval should restart fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Hi salvo....everything OK with you today?

If the energy company are unable to provide a specific day for the shut down, I would just fit the stocking over the return outlet on the days in question, but leave the pump powered up. That way, if the electricity is lost while you are out, the restart will not result in the expected "gunk" entering your tank.

You'll be fine.... ;)

Take care!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

Hey salvo...I forgot this weekend was my scheduled filter line/pipe overhaul (I do a line clean every 3 months, filter contents every week).

I've recorded some images of the stocking over the return outlet, and the same outlet after the pump was turned back on........

SAM_1270_zps42e9991f.jpg The stocking over the outlet....

SAM_1266_zpse77506ce.jpg This is the outlet in position, and the pump turned back on....

I also took some images of the main tap/valve...you'll notice the before and after, and how the flow can be affected by the "gunk/gunge" than can accumulate in the filter lines and valve.....

SAM_1275_zps1928d0b7.jpg Valve diameter before the clean.....

SAM_1280_zps3ff41c80.jpg Valve bore diameter after the cleaning process....

It's surprising how the gunk accumulates isn't it?

As I mentioned, this amount of gunk took just 3 months to accumulate....a pristine filter is no use if the main feed and return pipes are clogged up....

I hope this helps my friend....take care!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

Thanks for your replies guys :)

I will call the company tomorrow to see if I can get a specific time and date.

Phillyn thanks for your amazing post and pictures :thumbup2:

I am quite embarrassed to admit I HAVE NEVER cleaned the hoses or valves there's a good 2 years of gunk probably built up in there!

I do clean the filter ever 4-6 weeks and of course 50% of the water weekly anyway will definitely clean the hoses/valves soon.

What do you use for the hoses? A long pipe cleaner?