Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

How much can I sell my tank for?

I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, but I would want to know how much you all would think this tank is worth.

I have a 55 gallon tank and I will include a filter at 300GPH, full hood and lights, stand, and airpump. The tank has been running for 3 years and has minor scratches and I will make sure the algae is scrubbed off and everything is clean. I was thinking maybe $200.00-$300.00. I would just like your opinions. Thanks everyone!

I guess it depends on where you live and supply/demand. Generally the 1$/gallon for used tanks applys, and you add a little extra for the extras you include.

IMO (personally, no offense) I wouldnt pay more then $80 for a 55 with filter and what not. I can scoop up a Brand new Fluval 55 starter kit with stand, filter, heater, light, net, food, etc etc for just over $200.

I couldn't get anyone to buy my 90 gallon with supplies and ended up selling tank, stand, light, canopy for $115.

Honestly it all really depends on what people are willing to pay :) You may sell with ease or you may have issues.

Edited by Calamity

I guess it depends on where you live and supply/demand. Generally the 1$/gallon for used tanks applys, and you add a little extra for the extras you include.

IMO (personally, no offense) I wouldnt pay more then $80 for a 55 with filter and what not. I can scoop up a Brand new Fluval 55 starter kit with stand, filter, heater, light, net, food, etc etc for just over $200.

I couldn't get anyone to buy my 90 gallon with supplies and ended up selling tank, stand, light, canopy for $115.

Honestly it all really depends on what people are willing to pay :) You may sell with ease or you may have issues.

They are on my craigslist here for just tank stand and light for about 100-150 so I really don't know.

Where I live its 200$ used :( sometimes in the low 100$

I guess I could put it as $250.00 or best offer.

That would go, with stand, for $125 to $150 here, asking price. Probably actually would sell for $100 to $120.

In my area, I don't even look at used 55 gallons at $200 even when they are being sold with all the extras. I could get a brand new set up for the almost the same price and it typically requires driving some distance.

Do you need it sold quickly or are you in no rush? I wouldn't list it more than $150 obo and if you are willing to part out you could probably sell each item for a bit more.

Edited by sarajo

I got my 55 with stand, tank, heater and lights for 199.99 brand new. So I think that would be hard to see for more than $150.

You have to understand, your equipment is used, no matter how much you include it won't change the fact you won't get anywhere near as much as what you paid for it. People will be comparing your tank at the price of a new one. Aquariums will never be worth more than they cost to set up. People dont want to pay so much for used equipment. Check your local Walmart and check their price on a 55 gallon starter kit, your tank probably won't get close to the same amount. If you expect some crazy amount, you probably won't get it. Sure, the pieces by themselves were expensive, to you, but do you think people looking for used equipment want to buy something expensive? They might be good quality, but how many people do you think will look at your aquarium knowing that? They will just see used items that may need a new light bulb, most people will probably think they have to buy new cartridges for the filter, and some might not even see the use of an air pump. It's a hard market. I see the same ads for "like new 10 gallon full set up -60$ firm" over and over and over. Be a bargain and you might just sell (;

Edited by LovelyChaos

I have no firm number to suggest, but I think you can get a good idea of where to set your price by going to see the going rate for your size tank in the local CL.

Good luck! :)

You have to understand, your equipment is used, no matter how much you include it won't change the fact you won't get anywhere near as much as what you paid for it. People will be comparing your tank at the price of a new one. Aquariums will never be worth more than they cost to set up. People dont want to pay so much for used equipment. Check your local Walmart and check their price on a 55 gallon starter kit, your tank probably won't get close to the same amount. If you expect some crazy amount, you probably won't get it. Sure, the pieces by themselves were expensive, to you, but do you think people looking for used equipment want to buy something expensive? They might be good quality, but how many people do you think will look at your aquarium knowing that? They will just see used items that may need a new light bulb, most people will probably think they have to buy new cartridges for the filter, and some might not even see the use of an air pump. It's a hard market. I see the same ads for "like new 10 gallon full set up -60$ firm" over and over and over. Be a bargain and you might just sell (;

I am in no rush and I also have plenty of tanks to sell that are in my shed so I will definitely have enough money to buy a good 100 gallon tank. I will list mine at $200.00 obo. Not to bad, right?

I have no firm number to suggest, but I think you can get a good idea of where to set your price by going to see the going rate for your size tank in the local CL.

Good luck! :)

They are actually a decent price I think. Maybe 100$ for only stand and tank. But I will check again before I post. Hopefully I will have a bigger tank by the summer :D!

I disagree with almost everyone on this subject. I would pay $150 - $200 in a heartbeat for a tank in good condition with all the extras. I say list it at what you want and you can always come down if it doesn't sell.

I am a CL queen ..... buying and selling. Always include OBO ...

Also to get your sold before anyone else, use all the pictures you are allowed. If you know any HTML link them to your CL add with med sized pictures. The more pictures of the things you have the more likely yours will sell before the one that costs less but with one one picture of the whole thing. Try to have a background that is a wall with only the stuff selling in your listing is pictured, cut out all the extra "noise" in the picture you can, and have everything as clean as possible. People are judging you on how took care of the tank by the surroundings of "your" place.

Its all in the pictures.

Good luck!

And don't take the first lowball, unless you want too :)

Hey Mikey there is hope, I sold my 50 gal today with stand and light fixture for $240 Edited to add, I just listed it yesterday on CL.

Edited by CindyGen