Sign in to follow this  
crabs

What is the best food to buy in the uk?

I buy normal fish flakes but would like to know I am feeding the best for them. what is the best brand and type of food to buy, and why?

Hikari products are good. Many people here have good experiences with Repashy.

Thanks . What is better flaks or pellets?

Good brands , saki hikari , repashy !

However sometimes its not the 'best brand ' its what works with your fish so I would just try out a few different foods and figure which ones best :)

Thanks . What is better flaks or pellets?

Pellets are generally thought to be preferable :)

I buy normal fish flakes but would like to know I am feeding the best for them. what is the best brand and type of food to buy, and why?

Hi....I do my food shopping for my little fella's at Maidenhead Aquatics....I feed Aquarian flakes @ £11.99 for 200 grams, and Tetra pellets @ £5.15 for 80 grams (images below).

SAM_1245_zps8647419f.jpg

I find them just as good as sinking pellets, just immerse them under the water surface prior to releasing the flakes/pellets.

I hope this helps you.... :clapping:

Edited by Phillyn17

Pellets are better as generally it's thought that flakes contain little nutritional value in comparison.

I feed a mix of Tetra Prima Granules and New Life Spectrum Thera+ A (the 1mm size as my babies are still fairly small) They also get frozen bloodworms, daphnia, shrimp and larvae. I can get everything except the New Life Spectrum from my local fish store or Pets at Home. The New Life Spectrum I ordered online. The pellets need soaked for 10 - 30 seconds before feeding.

I also feed fresh veggies now and again. I've tried making my own gel food but it wasn't something I wanted to do long term.

I do have a packet of Repashy which I intend on trying out soon, this is something which has recently become very popular with members here :)

Thankyou everyone I feed Tetra gold fish sticks and king british flakes. They also get blood worms and peas . do you think this is ok ?

Thankyou everyone I feed Tetra gold fish sticks and king british flakes. They also get blood worms and peas . do you think this is ok ?

Yeah....you're doing good my friend, just keep a little variety going!! :thumb:

Edited by Phillyn17

I also love ProGold pellets from Goldfish Connection and making goldfish gel food yourself is really good! My fish gobble up Tithra's recipe like there isn't going to be another meal ever again!! :rofl3

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

That thread has her recipe plus a bunch more from Alex and others! It's really fun to make and really not too complicated and recipe makes a good amount so you can freeze it and pull it out as needed. My fishies also like blanched veggies especially spinach and romaine. I'll boil a leaf of romaine until it's soft and clip it to the top of the tank and then they all will make a skeleton out of it!! It takes them awhile on the peas though... it's like I have to force feed them almost.... :P

ProGold pellets from Goldfish Connection can only be gotten in the USA, kinda sucks :(

ProGold pellets from Goldfish Connection can only be gotten in the USA, kinda sucks :(

yeah... I didn't read the whole title... :oops:

when I had goldies, I had them on Saki Hikari (the purple bag) before I decided to try homemade gel food. I based my recipe on several I saw on Koko's, which included things like broccoli, tinned tuna or salmon, frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms, and cucumber. my lot absolutely loved it, so I stuck to that (one batch was enough for several months, kept in the freezer). :)

I'm a big fan of variety. Newton has had the aquarian pellets, pro-gold (smuggled in from the US), repashy and, currently, the Hikari sinking pellets. In addition, he gets tons of veggies - favorites are peas and spinach - and some cooked egg white.

Of all of this, I think the Hikari sinking pellets with some veggies are the diet I've seen the best growth/behavior.

yeah... I didn't read the whole title... :oops:

:wa

I'm a big fan of variety. Newton has had the aquarian pellets, pro-gold (smuggled in from the US), repashy and, currently, the Hikari sinking pellets. In addition, he gets tons of veggies - favorites are peas and spinach - and some cooked egg white.

Of all of this, I think the Hikari sinking pellets with some veggies are the diet I've seen the best growth/behavior.

Can I come and live with you MRC......he gets more food variety than Lyn gives me!!! :icecream :beer: :g025::Scoff::theater: