Does being handicapped make life not worth living?

HappyPercy

i pretty much concur with what others have said..

i deal with Mr Disabled daily, however, there is more movement with him than what Speckles displays. Mr Disabled is at least able to right himself during moments of food hunting etc.. but, the moment he stops, he's laying on his side again, same side as always.

i don't see any reason why Speckles is living an unhappy life, disabilities do not always depress and affect ones moral if conditions are right and feeds are yummy :)

if he's not being picked on or pushed around during times of no feeding, i see no reason why he can't continue sharing the same tank as his tankmates. the only thing is yes, the gravel needs to go.. even with the gravel gone, you need to keep up with scrubbing the bottom glass for him since he will be in constant contact with it. biofilm build up can trap and breed bacteria too.

otherwise, a fish in this condition, i see absolutely no reason why happiness cannot be achieved.

Thanks Helen, that is encouraging. I will consider removing the gravel for sure. Should I do it gradually?

I'm sorry to hear your stepfather passed away :(

Thanks Tithra, I appreciate that. :(

I am sorry about your step father :(

Also, I have only posted half the info about my own fish. He is in a 10g by himself (90-100% w/c every 2-3 days though) and with the decreased water level and lower current he has significantly improved. Of course I can not say if this will work just the same for Speckles, but it probably wouldn't hurt ot give it a try to see how he does that way :)

I had read your post several hours ago but didn't have time to respond but wanted to now.

I am so sorry for the passing of your step father. This time must be very difficult for you and your family.

To answer your question in your title: Does being handicapped make life not worth living? I think your beautiful Speckles answers your question himself. No. It's worth living to him when he see's you as he gets all excited. And he still gets excited to eat.

Your speckles is so adorable. It is sad that he hasn't gotten better but you sure are a wonderful fish owner and have been so good to him. If he enjoys the company of the other fish I would keep him in your bigger tank without the gravel. But then again, If Speckles was in the qt tank you can lower the water and see if he perks up. Maybe once he seems better in the qt you can then move Speckles in the bigger tank with his mates once all the gravel is out. I wish you and Speckles well.

I would like to add that I don't know if I would be able to do what your doing for Speckles. Either decision. It's what is best for you and your little guy.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I had read your post several hours ago but didn't have time to respond but wanted to now.

I am so sorry for the passing of your step father. This time must be very difficult for you and your family.

To answer your question in your title: Does being handicapped make life not worth living? I think your beautiful Speckles answers your question himself. No. It's worth living to him when he see's you as he gets all excited. And he still gets excited to eat.

Your speckles is so adorable. It is sad that he hasn't gotten better but you sure are a wonderful fish owner and have been so good to him. If he enjoys the company of the other fish I would keep him in your bigger tank without the gravel. But then again, If Speckles was in the qt tank you can lower the water and see if he perks up. Maybe once he seems better in the qt you can then move Speckles in the bigger tank with his mates once all the gravel is out. I wish you and Speckles well.

I would like to add that I don't know if I would be able to do what your doing for Speckles. Either decision. It's what is best for you and your little guy.

What a kind message. Thank you, that means a lot. I really appreciate you noticing that I have been trying. I really have, I go out of my way for these fish. :) It's worth it in the end though. I have him in the QT tank for now, until I can get all the gravel out of the main tank. The other fish do enjoy being able to sift through the gravel searching for food though.

I'm sorry to hear about your stepfather, Percy. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

2nd, Speckles is gorgeous! I hope he can recover soon. I agree with you about it being heartbreaking. I am dealing with a floaty/upside down fish myself and it breaks my heart to watch her struggle.

Keep your head up, we are all here for you :)

:hug

Edited by danielle15

I'm so sorry about your stepdad passing away. :hug And, second of all, look at him trying! You can do it Speckles, you can do it! :heart

Sorry about your Stepdad,

Maybe a harness would help temporarilly.

Might be worth a try whilst Speekles recovers.

WOW. that is unbelievable!!! It looks like a baby in one of those bouncy chairs they can sit in LOL. How would you even make one of those things?? That's just amazing! The fish doesn't even care either!

Sorry about your Stepdad,

Maybe a harness would help temporarilly.

Might be worth a try whilst Speekles recovers.

WOW. that is unbelievable!!! It looks like a baby in one of those bouncy chairs they can sit in LOL. How would you even make one of those things?? That's just amazing! The fish doesn't even care either!

aww... well its a nice idea at least!

Oh no hun... I'm so sorry to hear about your stepdad! We're all here for you :grouphug

I'm happy to see that Speckles is trying his best :). I recently adopted a fish with no fins and a half of a tail and my ryu has issues with buoyancy too. I know how hard it is, but I know that whatever you end up doing will be for the best and meant with the best intentions :).

Good luck hun!

What a kind message. Thank you, that means a lot. I really appreciate you noticing that I have been trying. I really have, I go out of my way for these fish. :) It's worth it in the end though. I have him in the QT tank for now, until I can get all the gravel out of the main tank. The other fish do enjoy being able to sift through the gravel searching for food though.

I've been thinking of you and thought I'd check to see if you video taped an improvement on Speckles. (I don't see one here.) I do hope he has gotten better.

Speckles is such a trooper, doing great!!!

I've been thinking of you and thought I'd check to see if you video taped an improvement on Speckles. (I don't see one here.) I do hope he has gotten better.

Thanks so much for checking on him. Sorry I've kind of lost touch with kokos. I've had a lot going on with my stepdad's death. Speckles is doing great, eating and spunky as usual even if he is mostly on the bottom! I'll get a video soon.

I am so sorry for your loss, Percy :(

Speckles is adorable and he seems like a little fighter! And I am really happy that he is getting better. And you are doing an amazing job looking after him.

A few months ago I was facing similar decision to yours. I have rescued a little oranda from a pet store, where she was mercilessly bullied by the other fish in an overstocked tank. She had very damaged fins, kinked tail, and serious buouyancy issues. I set up a small QT for her with some pond weed, treated her external wounds with some bio-bandage, and I put her in that plant to give her some sense of security. I kept thinking what should I do with her as at that point her chances looked really slim. Next morning, she was not moving at all and I thought she was gone - but she was just resting in her plant. And then I decided to fight for her as she clearly was not ready to go. It took as months to get her back on her fins! She is my special needs girl as she never fully recovered from her ordeal. She has better and worse days in terms of her buouyancy. I transferred her to a main tank and she loves it. She has enough space to exercise, She has a lot of pond weed to tangle herself in when she needs to rest and the rest of the gang welcomed her with open fins! And now when they need a rest, they all go to her and they rest together!

I wish you and Speckles all the best and hope that the little fella will be around for a long time :)

IMG-20130326-00962_zps1f396f0e.jpg

img5060h.jpg

I finally removed all the gravel for Speckles. I put this on the tank thread too. What do you think? I don't use too much decor because the fish i have right now are very active and love to swim the whole length of the tank. :)

Edited by HappyPercy

I think your new setup on your tank looks good. I had said on your other thread that Speckles won't be rubbing/touching the gravel now. You can add in that ball that your other fish like to play with to keep them busy.

I am so sorry for your loss, Percy :(

Speckles is adorable and he seems like a little fighter! And I am really happy that he is getting better. And you are doing an amazing job looking after him.

A few months ago I was facing similar decision to yours. I have rescued a little oranda from a pet store, where she was mercilessly bullied by the other fish in an overstocked tank. She had very damaged fins, kinked tail, and serious buouyancy issues. I set up a small QT for her with some pond weed, treated her external wounds with some bio-bandage, and I put her in that plant to give her some sense of security. I kept thinking what should I do with her as at that point her chances looked really slim. Next morning, she was not moving at all and I thought she was gone - but she was just resting in her plant. And then I decided to fight for her as she clearly was not ready to go. It took as months to get her back on her fins! She is my special needs girl as she never fully recovered from her ordeal. She has better and worse days in terms of her buouyancy. I transferred her to a main tank and she loves it. She has enough space to exercise, She has a lot of pond weed to tangle herself in when she needs to rest and the rest of the gang welcomed her with open fins! And now when they need a rest, they all go to her and they rest together!

I wish you and Speckles all the best and hope that the little fella will be around for a long time :)

IMG-20130326-00962_zps1f396f0e.jpg

Thank you so much for your kind message. It makes me feel better that there are other people who deal with this too.