New Lionhead :D!

Mikey

Well, I went to my LFS and saw the most adorable lionhead, I had no choice I had to buy it! But when you look at these photos, don't be mad at me xD. Right now, he is in a 1 gallon critter cage with an aquaclear 20 on LOW setting and filter floss to help block the current so the little guy isn't pushed around. He is going into hopefully by Saturday a ten gallon tank; it is occupied for now :lol. He is being treated with salt I'm doing what Tithra said to do 1 tablespoon per gallon every 12 hours for 3 days to get it at .3%. I will be doing 75-100% water changes daily. And now some pictures :D!

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/mikeydude319/photo2_zpsacf1e6e1.png

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y459/mikeydude319/photo1_zps3d0f2b0b.jpg

It is one teaspoon per gallon for .1% you have the dosage wrong!!!! Did you already do a tablespoon? Don't add more if you did.

OMG!!! I READ IT WRONG! I WILL CHANGE HIS WATER RIGHT NOW!

Salt is 1TEASPOON per gallon every 12 hours three times to get to 0.3%. Not for 3 days and not tablespoons.

I'm assuming the filter is cycled? I would still keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites as 1 gallon is very small.

He is really cute. :D

(I thought you were already overstocked? :idont. )

Cute fish!

Well, I went to my LFS and saw the most adorable lionhead, I had no choice I had to buy it! But when you look at these photos, don't be mad at me xD. Right now, he is in a 1 gallon critter cage with an aquaclear 20 on LOW setting and filter floss to help block the current so the little guy isn't pushed around. He is going into hopefully by Saturday a ten gallon tank; it is occupied for now :lol. He is being treated with salt I'm doing what Tithra said to do 1 tablespoon per gallon every 12 hours for 3 days to get it at .3%. I will be doing 75-100% water changes daily. And now some pictures :D!

http://i1275.photobu...zpsacf1e6e1.png

http://i1275.photobu...zps3d0f2b0b.jpg

I want to clarify this. Salting is 1 teaspoon per gallon (10 tsp for your 10 gallon). This will get you to .1%

12 hours after that, add another 1 teaspoon per gallon (you will now have a total of 20 tsp). This will get you to .2%

In another 12 hours, add another 1 teaspoon per gallon (now you will have 30 tsp). This will get you to .3%

After this you only add salt when you do a water change and you only add the amount of salt you took out. So if you do a 50% water change, add back in 15 tsp. If you do a 75% change add back in 22.5 tsp. Please let us know if you need more clarification on this. You want to make sure you don't overdose salt.

Please wait to start salt until you get him into the 10 gallon. 1 gallon is very small, I would do 2x daily water changes until you can get him into the 10 gallon.

Cute fish!

I want to clarify this. Salting is 1 teaspoon per gallon (10 tsp for your 10 gallon). This will get you to .1%

12 hours after that, add another 1 teaspoon per gallon (you will now have a total of 20 tsp). This will get you to .2%

In another 12 hours, add another 1 teaspoon per gallon (now you will have 30 tsp). This will get you to .3%

After this you only add salt when you do a water change and you only add the amount of salt you took out. So if you do a 50% water change, add back in 15 tsp. If you do a 75% change add back in 22.5 tsp. Please let us know if you need more clarification on this. You want to make sure you don't overdose salt.

Please wait to start salt until you get him into the 10 gallon. 1 gallon is very small, I would do 2x daily water changes until you can get him into the 10 gallon.

Again I meant every 12 hours.. Im tired today.... :/ :lol

Well, I went to my LFS and saw the most adorable lionhead, I had no choice I had to buy it! But when you look at these photos, don't be mad at me xD. Right now, he is in a 1 gallon critter cage with an aquaclear 20 on LOW setting and filter floss to help block the current so the little guy isn't pushed around. He is going into hopefully by Saturday a ten gallon tank; it is occupied for now :lol. He is being treated with salt I'm doing what Tithra said to do 1 teaspoon per gallon every 12 hours for to get it at .3%. I will be doing 75-100% water changes daily. And now some pictures :D!

Salt is 1TEASPOON per gallon every 12 hours three times to get to 0.3%. Not for 3 days and not tablespoons.

I'm assuming the filter is cycled? I would still keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites as 1 gallon is very small.

He is really cute. :D

(I thought you were already overstocked? :idont. )

Filter is not cycled :(. And yes every 12 hours 3 times I am tired. (I know what I mean in my head but when I type it out it comes out as something else) :rofl2

And yes, but I found a way to have all my water changed out of my tank in about 5 days. :) I will be doing daily 10% WC and I will hope to have a 75 gallon sometime in the near future :).

Cute fish!

I will do my best to do his 2x daily WC. I have school and all but I will be able to do them on the weekend though :). Thanks for your help :D! And nevermind about the teaspoon dosages with the 15 and 22.5 my bad again.

Edited by mikeydude319

Okay everyone, no-name (Names anyone?) now has fresh clean water and NO salt until the ten gallon as Tithra advised. I will be doing my best to do WC 2X a day. I treat with Prime and the filter is on low and filter floss covers the output slowing the water to make it safe for no-name. I also have a sponge on the intake and ammo-carb in the filter to keep his water very good if I happen to miss a WC. Thanks Everyone :D! :newfish

Grats !! What a cutie!! I love lionheads!!

Thanks :D! Me too ;). Except my LFS doesn't normally get them in so I figured act now and take the one of the two that looked healthiest and the best shape. Lol. How is his shape anyway? Is his back okay? This is my third lionhead and my first one was deformed due to being from Petco it had moutrot and I cured him. (He did pass though :cry). He was a tancho lionhead too!

How is his shape anyway? Is his back okay? This is my third lionhead and my first one was deformed due to being from Petco it had moutrot and I cured him. (He did pass though :cry). He was a tancho lionhead too!

Looks like a nice smooth back with no bumps, and that's what you want. He's going to have an amazing caudal fin!

How is his shape anyway? Is his back okay? This is my third lionhead and my first one was deformed due to being from Petco it had moutrot and I cured him. (He did pass though :cry). He was a tancho lionhead too!

Looks like a nice smooth back with no bumps, and that's what you want. He's going to have an amazing caudal fin!

Yay :). And why's a caudal fin?

Hi Mikey,

:Congrats: on the new fish, and at the risk of offending you, I really think that you need to put a brake on getting new ones. You are already way overstocked, and until just now, you have said that between your school schedule and the incompatible sink faucet, you have not been able to do much/very big WCs. I feel that you are sitting on a situation that will soon deteriorate. At that time, it can take a lot of effort to just control the damage.

I hope that you know that what I am saying comes only from wanting to see you enjoy this hobby, and raise thriving fish. Sometimes the best thing we can do for our beloved animals is to practice restraint and not get more. I know it's hard, but it's a lesson that is really needful. I learned this the hard way. :(

From looking at the pics, there seems to be a good bit of mild finrot present, as well a clamping. These are classic signs of bad water quality, and may possibly indicate parasites. The QT container is too small to keep good water quality, and certainly isn't big enough to even consider treatment, even with something as mild as salt. :(

Hi Mikey,

:Congrats: on the new fish, and at the risk of offending you, I really think that you need to put a brake on getting new ones. You are already way overstocked, and until just now, you have said that between your school schedule and the incompatible sink faucet, you have not been able to do much/very big WCs. I feel that you are sitting on a situation that will soon deteriorate. At that time, it can take a lot of effort to just control the damage.

I hope that you know that what I am saying comes only from wanting to see you enjoy this hobby, and raise thriving fish. Sometimes the best thing we can do for our beloved animals is to practice restraint and not get more. I know it's hard, but it's a lesson that is really needful. I learned this the hard way. :(

From looking at the pics, there seems to be a good bit of mild finrot present, as well a clamping. These are classic signs of bad water quality, and may possibly indicate parasites. The QT container is too small to keep good water quality, and certainly isn't big enough to even consider treatment, even with something as mild as salt. :(

I know what you mean. (I had 12 fish in my 55 when I didn't really know much! :o). And now I think the sink is going to be fixed! I just found our tonight that even when you turn it on the slightest bit, it leaks! So now it's pretty much a need to have it fixed. And believe me if that was fixed I would be doing water changes everyday if I needed to :o. And I am just so excited because I love lionhead a and they are rare to find around here (well in my opinion they are). So I just needed to get him. Except, I am thinking off acing him in the ten gallon as a grow out tank for a while since he will be pushed around by the current and he won't have enough time to eat. So I will have 6 in my 55 and 1 in a 10 gallon. Is that okay?

That number is do-able when you have young fish (which you do), but it cannot be a permanent solution like that. Just increase your WC and keep up with the maintenance, and you should be OK, at least for a little bit.

I know all about needing just one more fish lol. Trust me. I wish that what I am telling wasn't learned from experience. :rofl

What helps stop me if I see something amazing is "but is it as amazing as getting a female lavender ranchu to match my male would be?" and the answer is inevitably no. A little disheartened but happy I still have the space for "the one," I leave the store and save my pennies.

Or I upgrade my tank! I started with a 20 and a 10 gallon. Now I have a 75, a 56, a 30 and three tubs with babies!

Its too bad you decided to purchase this fish as I will no longer be able to sell you any of my fry which I was looking forward to.

Edited by GreenTea

He is adorable! And just look at THAT TAIL. That is my type of fish :D

Water changes on this small of a tank are very easy to do. If you have a CLEAN (drinking) cup to scoop the fish into for a few minutes, you can just pick up the tank and pour the water into the toilet, and then refill temp and pH matched, gently pour the little guy out of his cup back into the tank - voila! Should not take more than 5 minutes each :)

With doing twice daily 100% w/c you don't even need to have the filter on there for now. This will make the water changes even easier because you do not have to remove the filter each time, but simply have to scoop the fish, dump the water, refill, put the fish back in. :)

What helps stop me if I see something amazing is "but is it as amazing as getting a female lavender ranchu to match my male would be?" and the answer is inevitably no. A little disheartened but happy I still have the space for "the one," I leave the store and save my pennies.

Or I upgrade my tank! I started with a 20 and a 10 gallon. Now I have a 75, a 56, a 30 and three tubs with babies!

Its too bad you decided to purchase this fish as I will no longer be able to sell you any of my fry which I was looking forward to.

I don't know, we will see ;). I might have to put the baby in a ten gallon tank that I'm keeping my lionhead in until I upgrade. Would that be okay? I would do daily 50-75% water changes. Or I could bring back one of my fish. I really don't know. We will see in months time :D!

And at first I had a ten gallon tank, then I was going to upgrade to a 20 gallon, then I was going to take my ex-dads fish tank (36 bow) and the , I ended up with my 55. Such a big change in tank size! You have no idea how much I want to upgrade to a 100-125 gallon tank. The problem is my mom said I can't. I have too much. All in have is a bird. 55 gallon, and now 2 ten gallon. I will have one soon. I'm taking my one ten gallon down. So I don't know why selling my. 55 on Craigslist And upgrading is such a big deal...

Edited by mikeydude319

He is adorable! And just look at THAT TAIL. That is my type of fish :D

Water changes on this small of a tank are very easy to do. If you have a CLEAN (drinking) cup to scoop the fish into for a few minutes, you can just pick up the tank and pour the water into the toilet, and then refill temp and pH matched, gently pour the little guy out of his cup back into the tank - voila! Should not take more than 5 minutes each :)

With doing twice daily 100% w/c you don't even need to have the filter on there for now. This will make the water changes even easier because you do not have to remove the filter each time, but simply have to scoop the fish, dump the water, refill, put the fish back in. :)

I take my siphon and drain it as low as possible (90%) and refil takes me 2 minutes. Lol. But that's what I do with my beta fish is your idea :D!

Sorry but I'll be selling my fish to tanks where they have at least 10 gallons each. If you have room we can talk about it then but right now it won't work. Putt if a still growing young fish in a 10 gallon with maybe once a week changes won't do much for it and it will probably become stunted like the lionhead you got today.