Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Buldging eye

• Please help... I accidentally dropped my fish onto tile while I was transferring her to a new tank. Her eye is bulging really bad. :(
  • I feel awful. :(

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/Mushu_21_zps36b6f103.jpg

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/tarannosaurus/Mushu1_zps0c115f46.jpg

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 10 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 72 F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 100% (moved into new house)
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, one year and one month
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancy goldfish, 6-12 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold once per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hope he recover well

I have nothing to add but it does look like Popeye to me

A mod should be here soon enough

Just to clarify, the damage is only on one side and is a physical injury correct? (from being dropped)

Did the injury just happen today? Do you have a spare QT you can set up?

Could you also check your tap pH for us please?

Ouch, I hope she gets better ):

We all drop our fish from time to time, it happens, sometimes worse than others. I accidentally dropped two of my fish who were sick behind my 125 outdoor aquarium, they fell in the mud and I almost couldn't reach them in time.

Dont stress out, follow the mods instructions, and breathe... :hug I would also place her in a separate qt, in the dark, to give her a chance to destress. Especially with the eye, light may startle her or irritate it.

Best wishes (:

Sorry to hear of the accident you had.......don't beat yourself up over it, these things happen. :oops:

Fish are hardy little things....it'll be alright with a little TLC as LovelyChaos suggested...... ;)

Edited by Phillyn17

Hey guys. I just checked the tap pH. It's 7.4.

I don't have a quarantine tank, but I have kept the aquarium lights off.

This is just on one eye.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

You can purchase inexpensive food safe/sterile plastic tubs (10 gallons is fine for a qt tank size). They're much cheaper than tanks and provided they're food safe, they will not leach chemicals.

I think separating him would be a good idea just to give him some time to destress and to prevent the other fish from potentially picking on him. It is also important to have him separated in case we need to add any meds to the water. Narny's suggestion of a sterilite tub is a good one. You should always have a QT on hand, so this would be a perfect time to pick one up along with a cheap small extra filter if you don't already have one. You should be able to pick both of these up at walmart (or similar store) for about 20 dollars :)

For future reference, could you please also get us all the tap values, as well? I would hate to recommend doing a water change or something, only to be putting the fish in potentially toxic/dangerous water, if the tap happens to have ammonia/nitrite/nitrate etc. Thanks.

I think that while it is hopefully that clean water and perhaps a mild dosage of salt will help heal, there may be a need for treatment. For this, QT is necessary. Also, see if you could get some Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, or kanaplex from the LFS. Don't treat with this just yet, but I do think it's important to have on hand.

If it makes you feel any better, I accidently traumatically amputated my black Moore's eye. I was siphoning the tank out and had a split second lapse of concentration where I glanced away. During that time my moore nuzzled the siphon tube and the next thing I know, schloop, it's eye is in the tube. I felt truly awful. I quarantined the fish for a couple of weeks in water treated with triple sulphur and the empty socket healed over really well. The fish reintegrated back into the main tank and is largely unaffected, but does require separate feeding.

Hope the swelling subsides and your fish is back to normal soon.

any updates?