Roulette is pineconing

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)5
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6, kh = 110, gh = 60
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 eheim canister filters
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime + Gold buffer
  • * Water temperature? 26*C
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% every week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday 50% threw in an extra change due to being away last week.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 240 Litres 60+ US gallons, been up ans running since 2010
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 largest fish 3/4 inches not including tail
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy, Saki-Hikari fancy goldfish sinking pellets, green beans occasional fruit, sometimes hard boiled egg. i try to mix it up a bit.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)nothing with this fish that i can remember, she is floaty sometimes.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? she has a strange split in he dorsal, I think it was from a breeding frenzy about 8 months ago, she also lost some scales during this time. I'll try to get a pic
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She is not swimming much, but since she hs been in the QT tank she seems to be swimming more. Nose diving from time to time, on her side at the top of the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Wormer plus was added to the main tank last month, all the fish were given metronidazole for an issue months ago now.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. I'll get pics and a video up soon

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i'm panicking a bit, this seems to have come on very quick.

I have got metronidazole in 250mg and in 200mg. I have weighed Roulette, just now and she weighs 39g

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

911 is for cases like dropsy and other serious issues, so it's the right place :)

In the mean time, is the pineconing isolated, or all over?

EDIT: Yep, that's the correct epsom dosage.

Edited by Narny105

Ok no problem. I'll wait for the photo, but I think it's safe to say that you can make up a small batch of metro food for a 14 day treatment

Dosage is 1 gram of metro per 100 grams food (wet weight)

How bloated if Roulette for the epsom? If she's not bloated or constipated, I don't think you will need to add it.

Edited by Narny105

If you've added it, that's fine, but if it's not needed, I would prefer it be removed sooner rather than do a full 8 days treatment :)

EDIT:

Just saw the pictures. Roulette does look a little bloated to me, but I really am not too good at telling so I'll shout out for a second opinion.

You can begin metro once you've made it and do a 14 day treatment.

I'm off to bed now, so good luck! Someone will step in if you need further help :)

Edited by Narny105

Thank you Ashlee and Derek! She has eaten all the food I gave her, she was just taking her time. ;)

Roulette seems to be a little bit more swimmy. The filter is pathetic in this tank, but I think that is helping her to swim better than she was able to do in the big tank. :)

Hi Becs,

It seems that you have gotten excellent help, and I don't really have much to add, except best wishes for Roulette. Best wishes to you, and I look forward to a wonderful update soon!

The food set fine. It took some elbow grease to get it smooth but it worked out eventually. I have given her some, but she doesn't seem to be very hungry. I've got a very close eye on her at the moment. :)

I am actually quite concerned with making any medicated food with the Repashy. It sets too quickly, and the solidification happens so fast that we have to add the meds when it's too hot. Even when some of the meds are heat stable, I am concerned that this is not the best way to do things. So, I have always advocated going with making our own foods when doing this. From my experience working with Helen developing the homemade version of various medicated foods, we have found that Repashy is not preferable. The homemade antiparasite preparations always seem to be better than the Repashy-based ones. For this reason, I have always encouraged people not to use Repashy. I highly recommend that you make your own as well. :)

Is there a medicated gel food recipe that is preferred Alex? I've done a little searching but didn't find anything recent . . . I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to keep looking.

Just thought Becs might like a link or have the recipe ready to go? :idont

Thanks Alex! I will get some ingredients tomorrow and make my own gel food. I just wanted to get some meds into Roulette as soon as possible today.

She is acting like a different fish since this morning. I phoned Steve whilst he was at work to say I didn't think she would make it to the end of today :( . But now she is investigating the tank :) .How warm should the temperature of the water be? I don't want her to be too hot.

Thanks Lisa! :hug