Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Goldie color question

Hi everyone!

First of all, wanted to say a big THANK YOU for making me feel so warmly welcomed here :) I love the community and everyone is so knowledgable and helpful!

I'm writing today because my goldfish have started to change color. Nothing alarming - I read that this can happen a bit when they're babies. I would say mine are definitely under a year old, maybe even under 6mos. old.

Buttons, my black moor, looks like he's starting to turn bronze. His belly scales are a shiny bronze, but he's getting some scales on his upper abdomen area that are bronze/metallic purple. They're really pretty, and his fins are totally normal (no rips, frays, holes, etc) and he isn't in distress. Is this normal? How long does it usually take them to change color?

Speckle, my calico ryukin, has started to get some metallic silver scales where black spots used to be. Part of me wonders if the black wasn't just a burn healing, or maybe some other past injury/bruise, because the scale is like BRIGHT WHITE and shiny. It's just one right now but I can see others in the area that look like they're about to change.

Neither fish has LOST scales, they just seem to be changing color. All of this happened in the past week or so.

Is this good? Bad? Neither? What does it indicate, if anything?

Thanks!

Do you have a test kit? Could you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How big is the tank and when was the last water change? Color changes can be normal, the one in my pic to the left is my moore going through a change, but a paleing of color could indicate stress or other issues.

The black and colour variants of black are the first on a fish to fade. Some fish fade fast and some fade slowly, some never lose this colour.

I cannot say anything about healing of burns on a calico as I would need a picture to confirm that as well as water parameters to verify.

Bright White and Shiny scales dispersed among regular colouring and scales are known among calicos. It is called nacreous scaling and the extra shiny are called mettalic scales.

Yup! Sure thing.

My tank is still cycling (got off to a rough start with the hobby a few months ago...was basically doing everything wrong), but I've been using Prime as a conditioner and it has helped a lot. Right now the readings are as follows (not sure how much of the ammonia is bound by the Prime, because my water test registers ammonium as well):

Last water change was today, ~50%.

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Temp: ~71 F

The tank is 30 gallons, fish are all under 3 inches. I'll be moving them to a bigger tank when I'm no longer in a dorm, ha.

And again, she isn't getting lighter/paler - it's just this one scale and a few around it that appear to be metallic.

ibtbnHHkTflOUC.jpg

Speckle is the fish in the middle. Right in the middle of the black coloration is where the random bright metallic scale is

Just double prime for the ammonia right now while you are cycling and do a 50% everytime the level gets above 1ppm. Let us know when you start getting nitrites :)

http://www.kokosgold....com/cycle.html

Edit: Looks like a normal calico to me :) I don't see any evidence of ammonia burns.

Edited by bodoba

Ok - thank you! I had been a little nervous to double Prime...even though it says it's safe. I will add some more now.

Will nitrites show up if I am using Prime?

EDIT: I only ask because the tank has been cycling for about a month now.....and still no nitrites, but I have been using Prime

Edited by kiwikacey

Yes, Prime doesn't impeded the testing of the API drops kit :)

Ok, thank you!

Nitrites can take a while to show up but once they do . . . :yikes Watch out! It seems they go into overdrive . . . But daily testing and water changes galore and you'll be OK. :)

Nice looking fish BTW. :)

Edited by fantailfan1

Ok...I will be sure to do that. Another question semi-related: I am going home for spring break (2hr trip, will be transporting fish in a 5gal bucket) and will be temporarily housing them in a 10g tank. It will only be for 10 days - but with the filter only partially cycled, and such a big decrease in tank size, I am wondering if they will be ok. After 10 days they will be back in the 30 gal again. I have no one here to feed them, and didn't want to leave them 10days with no food.

I would bring the filter with you. Keep the media in a bucket of tank water for the trip. Once you are home can you set up some sort of sterilite/food safe container? You could put your filter on that and continue cycling. You should be able to find a fairly large one rather inexpensively . . . That way the fish would have more water volume and you won't lose the cycle you've got started. :D

You can't leave them for 10 days in a cycling tank for sure! :o

Very good idea! I have a lot of plastic storage bins in the basement (used for clothing). They are basically just big rubbermaid containers. If I sterilized one and made sure it was watertight, that would probably do fine, right?

And yup! Planned to transport the filter media in a little 2 gallon bucket so I could continue the cycle :)

I really love my fishies and want to make sure they're here for a LONG time!

As long as the tubs are foodsafe they are ok to use and that would be a great solution!! :) Target has $40 gal ones for about $15 I believe.

My calico bubble eye will have black spread down his side, and it slowly goes away, leaving behind a metallic scale. This is also happening on one of my ranchu. Don't know why or how it happens but its no cause for alarm.

You're doing good KK......keep up the good work!! :clapping:

Just keep a careful eye on those Ammonia levels. ;)

Thanks, all! Here's an update: Speckle's scale is still there - Buttons seems to be turning either bronze or orange, slowly. Additionally, everyone did fine for the drive today and all seem to be in good spirits tonight. I found a Sterilite bin in my basement, sterilized it, and the fish are in it now. Found a thread on here that said Sterilite was food safe!

The only thing is, the bin is about 16.5 gallons. Biggest food safe bin I had. Better than the 10gal, so I hope they'll be okay for the 10 days they'll be in it. Then, it's back "home" to the bigger tank :)

[Edit]: I don't have a Target, or a Wal-Mart, anywhere near me. I'm in a suuuuper tiny town, so unfortunately it's pretty much whatever I have in the house....is what I have

They all have appetites and are still eating out of my hand, so they can't be too stressed out, right? I'll let you guys know about the water test readings tomorrow. Thanks, again!

Edited by kiwikacey