Would this filter be good for a 75 gallon fish tank?

I may be upgrading to a 75 Gallon fish tank to accommodate my goldfish. (I need a yes from my mom first) And I would just like to know if this would be a good filter if I did get the tank. (I wouldn't be able to buy it right away; too much money) But I have 2 AC 70 on my 55 right now. And here is the link to the filter. It looks good to me, but I would like to know what you guys think :)!

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF500UV-5-Stage-Canister-Filter/dp/B004GIXCI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363213803&sr=8-1&keywords=canister+filter+with+uv

that filter is 525 gals/hr u would still need your more filtration you need 750gal per hour for a 75 gal tank how much does the ac pump?

that filter is 525 gals/hr u would still need your more filtration you need 750gal per hour for a 75 gal tank how much does the ac pump?

I know :) I forgot to mention I would be adding one of my AC on. It pumps 300GPH for 825GPH in total.

i hope you get to upgrade fingers crossed!!

Thanks! :D :D :D :D! I really want that tank! I have 6 goldfish and I need a bigger tank..... My mom just doesn't understand that all I need is the filter tank and lights. I have the right stand; I can also sell my 55 on craigslist and get the money to pay for the tank too! So I don't know why she would say no. And it would be great for my fish because 20+10+10+10+10+10+10. that is 80 gallons. So if I can get the tank and filter with UV light, I could squeeze in 7 goldies :D!

Actually since this is a canister, the filtration is good enough. With canisters you can go down to about 7x filtration or even less since many canisters hold so much bio media that this balances out the flow rate.

If you combine this with one of your current ACs, you will be perfectly set :)

I would even keep it at 6 Goldies in a 75. 7 doesn't follow the minimum stocking rule, as 5 gallons is not the same as 10 gallons. It's best to let them have a chance to grow without adding more strain on the bio load.

Edited by LovelyChaos

I would even keep it at 6 Goldies in a 75. 7 doesn't follow the minimum stocking rule, as 5 gallons is not the same as 10 gallons. It's best to let them have a chance to grow without adding more strain on the bio load.

True, but with all the fish I am getting I will be ending up with 1 Choco Oranda, 1 R&W butterfly telescope. 1 white Ryukin, 1 blue Ryukin, 1 clali Oranda, 1 orange shukin. I am considering bringing back my shukin to my LFS and getting this adorable little orange lionhead. He is perfect! And has some nice web growth for his size. And then I want a bubble eye goldfish. So now if I upgrade to the 75 I canst least barely have the 7 with the canister filter and HOB with weekly 50-80% water changes. Would that be okay?

Actually since this is a canister, the filtration is good enough. With canisters you can go down to about 7x filtration or even less since many canisters hold so much bio media that this balances out the flow rate.

If you combine this with one of your current ACs, you will be perfectly set :)

Great! An when I take down my one AC I can put its media in a basket. (I need to save up money to buy the 75 and filter though). So I don't know long it will take to upgrade u also need my mom and step dads permission.

True, but with all the fish I am getting I will be ending up with 1 Choco Oranda, 1 R&W butterfly telescope. 1 white Ryukin, 1 blue Ryukin, 1 clali Oranda, 1 orange shukin. I am considering bringing back my shukin to my LFS and getting this adorable little orange lionhead. He is perfect! And has some nice web growth for his size. And then I want a bubble eye goldfish. So now if I upgrade to the 75 I canst least barely have the 7 with the canister filter and HOB with weekly 50-80% water changes. Would that be okay?

Considering that the stocking rule is actually closer to 20 gallons per fish, I would stick with 6, the reason being is even with the canister, your fish are getting only around 12.5 gallons. The fish will grow and fill out that space rather quickly. Fewer fish means that it takes longer for pathogens to find a host, meaning illnesses will take longer to spread through the tank. Adding a 7th fish will leave you at 10 gallons a fish, which is a little too crowded for comfort. You would still be 'overstocked' with 6 in a 75, but the extra filtration will help with that, but it is best not to push it to the limit. Most people who have 75s will cap out at 5 fish. Bubble eyes have really specific needs too, and unless you can set up your tank to be bubble eye safe, I wouldn't get one. I hope that makes sense (: it's hard to say no to new fish, but why not just enjoy the ones you do have and give them the best possible home until you are old enough to decide for yourself how many tanks you want? Trust me, it's no fun to push the limits of your stocking.

Can you post a pic of your shukin? I had no idea you had one.

I need to do a water change today... Plus I need to study for a social study test. I don't know what to do because the amount of water I want to take out it would take me an hour to fill.....

Considering that the stocking rule is actually closer to 20 gallons per fish, I would stick with 6, the reason being is even with the canister, your fish are getting only around 12.5 gallons. The fish will grow and fill out that space rather quickly. Fewer fish means that it takes longer for pathogens to find a host, meaning illnesses will take longer to spread through the tank. Adding a 7th fish will leave you at 10 gallons a fish, which is a little too crowded for comfort. You would still be 'overstocked' with 6 in a 75, but the extra filtration will help with that, but it is best not to push it to the limit. Most people who have 75s will cap out at 5 fish. Bubble eyes have really specific needs too, and unless you can set up your tank to be bubble eye safe, I wouldn't get one. I hope that makes sense (: it's hard to say no to new fish, but why not just enjoy the ones you do have and give them the best possible home until you are old enough to decide for yourself how many tanks you want? Trust me, it's no fun to push the limits of your stocking.

I have 6 now in my 55 :(. I do have 600GPH though. So I know I need to upgrade or get rid of 1-2 fish. But I couldn't do that, all the fish in there are just so cool... especially my Blue Ryukin. I don't know what the big deal to my mom is. I can put my fish in a ten gallon tank with ten gallons of the tank water and put my sponge and media in a bucket and and sell my tank (I would have all this done the day the person that is coming for my tank. I would include the tank, hood, and lights. And I would need to search around for a 75 gallon and have that purchased. I don't even need to change my stand so I don't know what the big deal is. All I need to do is get the filter (I don't have $130.00 at this time though)

Keep your shukin! If you "groom" it, it could be gorgeous!

How do I groom it? All I am doing is feeding blood worms, Pro-Gold, and occasionally peas.

Keep your shukin! If you "groom" it, it could be gorgeous!

I can't upgrade my tank..... My parents said no. I just don't understand why though. I would have sold the 55 gallon and bought the 75 I don't need to get a new stand or filter I just don't understand.... I mean I will even wait for the dollar per gallon sale at Petco. They can't refuse that! $75.00 for a 75 gallon tank! I mean come on.

I think usually the dollar per gallon caps at 55 gallons /: could you maybe get some sterilite tubs? Like a single 30 gallon and move two of your fish there? What are your water changes like?

I think usually the dollar per gallon caps at 55 gallons /: could you maybe get some sterilite tubs? Like a single 30 gallon and move two of your fish there? What are your water changes like?

I try to do weekly water changes of 50-80%. I have to see if my pet store still has the extra python tubing. If so, that saves me so much time. All I would need to do then is drain my tank and fill it back up and I wouldn't even need to lug buckets :D! (I only have 2 one gallon buckets to refil my tank)

Well, I can see it being possible to house your 6 in the 55 if you can do as many water changes as possible, at least until you can convince your mom to upgrade. What's your feeding schedule for them?

Well, I can see it being possible to house your 6 in the 55 if you can do as many water changes as possible, at least until you can convince your mom to upgrade. What's your feeding schedule for them?

Once or twice a day I give them pro-gold and as a treat once a week I give them frozen blood worms.

I just thought of something ;). If I show my mom how much water I'm taking out and putting back in so often she might back down and let me upgrade so I don't have to do those water changes so often. And then, I will have 7 Fancies in my tank and I will have the cool canister filter with the uv light (I found it $99.99) on eBay! It is I want to say 530 GPH plus my AC 300 that's perfect! And the uv will help so much! I am going to start a new thread to see if anyone has this filter. :)