Sign in to follow this  
ztm

Floating on Soilent Green too

My floater is floating on Repashy's Soilent Green too... more than ever.

I'm pretty desperate :(

I've tried every kind of food, only spinach and tangerine are good (peas aren't, haven't tried every vegetable), but I would feed some variations...

Tangerines are high in sugar, so that should be fed only very very rarely. A small piece maybe once a week or so.

Have you tried other more natural foods? As for protein sources, chopped up cooked shrimp or fish, or even boiled egg white. Are frozen foods like blood worms, brine shrimp etc available to you?

Other great veggies that usually rarely make fish floaty are pretty much any leafy green (not cabbage though, might make the fish gassy/floaty), green beans, cucumber, zucchini.

How much Soilent Green do you feed in one go? Will the fish float even when being fed only one or two small bite sized pieces at a time?

ZTM, my fish is not a floater but does poorly on SG. So poorly that while I had thought about making it a treat, I may just have to give it away. All veggies, egg white, cod, Hikari pellets are tolerated very well. He alternates meals between proteins and vegetables - small meals given frequently.

Have you tried growing some duckweed and trying him on that?

I've tried every kind of commercial food, except for frozen ones (sticks, pellets, dried, gel, etc.).

I was sure Repashy's would have been good, because of everyone's feedback, but the floater is going up almost immediately with a tiny bit of it.

Will try some other vegetables or (rarely) fruit: spinach and tangerine are ok, zucchini and peas were ok only sometimes, I should make some more tests.

I'm really frustrated, but I will stick to some natural foods, trying to give them enough variations.

Duckweed: should I grow them in the tank?

Only give what you want them to eat in the tank or it will all be gone. Grow the duckweed in a seperate container, or in a breeding box in the tank.

Edited by ahardeay

The egg is floaty too. Only green leaves seem ok. Is it a suitable diet?

Edited by dnalex

The egg is floaty too. Only green leaves seem ok. Is it a suitable diet?

How are your fish doing?

Green leaves are OK, but not enough. How do they do with frozen blood worms?

Aren't bloodworms usually for treats, not for staple foods? :(

Aren't bloodworms usually for treats, not for staple foods?

Feeding them a few times a week is fine. :)

It's more a matter of how much you feed at any one time.

Aren't bloodworms usually for treats, not for staple foods?

Feeding them a few times a week is fine. :)

It's more a matter of how much you feed at any one time.

Ohh, nice to know. I've been feeding them just 3 bloodworms every 2 months. :yikes

You can do much more than that! If you have orandas, the bloodworms will really help to bring out their wen. :)

Haven't tried frozen food... the only one I'm still missing.

After the egg white I fed, the foater conditions have worsened, now spinach too make him float.

I tried to starve them for a couple of days, with no success.

How could I feed only one of the two? I wouldn't like to starve the one that has never floated in his life too...

The fasting won't harm your non-floater. Fasting for a day or two before feeding green beans, spinach or peas is quite useful when dealing with constipation.

If you're really concerned with your non-floater not eating, are you able to separate the two during feeding? Something like a breeder box would suffice. :)

I have finally managed to stop the floating, now the spinach are good again.

Going to try some other vegetables, but I don't want to risk too much, as the egg made him float for one week...

About the non-floater: I'm not concerned about fasting, but I would like to use some other food, as I have every kind of food and everything's good only for the non-floater :)

Now is a good time to train to hand feed each fish! :)