Is this a comet?

Elle456

I was hoping one of my larger comets gave birth to it, wonder how it got there? Haha

It can still be offspring of a comet. The common goldfish is the most "natural" variety of the goldfish breeds, and all other breeds more or less have commons as ancestors. They all carry the genes for commons, and especially comets - being the breed most similar to the common - often also have short tailed commons as offspring :)

Where is it kept? In a pond? At 7-9cm length he has to be at least half a year old, I would guess. Did you have fry before?

In case of a pond: any possibility that he is a drop off? You know, someone that had this fish as pet and decided they don't want it anymore and tossed him into your pond?

I bought this house 3 months ago and fish were here the pond is 1500 lt, before I cleaned it last week it was disgusting and there were heaps of spots he could of been hiding I also have 3 comets ranging 20-30 cm. I haven't had much to do with fish before but I love these guys and want to expand or breed more! This guy Just surprised me when I was cleaning and fixing the pond I had no idea he was there

Oh ok I see. I bet he was in there before then. Young goldfish have this (neat) plain brownish color which protects them from predators as it makes it difficult to see these guys. He probably hatched before you bought the house, and you never got to see him for the longest time because of the murky water and before that his baby coloring.

Neat fish either way. I love his orange tail with the mostly white body. :)

For an outdoor pond, you will be better off picking some more robust fancies like fantails, ryukins, orandas, ranchus, lionheads.

Shubunkins would be a neat single tail addition if you don't already have any.

As long as the fancy does not fit into the other fish's mouth, they won't get eaten. Single tails and fancies get along just fine, I keep them together myself. :)

I just would not necessarily keep a more "handicapped" variety with the fast single tails, such as telescopes, celestials or bubble eyes since they are to a degree vision impaired and if there is not enough natural food, the fast single tails can out compete them at feeding time.

Pearlscales are more delicate so I am not sure if they would be a good addition.

If you can find watonais or wakins, they are great double tailed pond fish as well :)