New Tank And Stand

Guest tooterfish

Guest tooterfish

i have a 7in comet currently in a 7 gal bowfront. She was supposed to get a 10gal for christmas, and now i'm glad i waited.

the information i've gotten here made me realise that 10gal wouldnt be big enough either, so i went looking for larger than 10.

i had fallen in love with a 46gal bowfront and stand, but was afraid of the size. i decided i just wasnt ready for a tank that big.

This evening i purchased a nice stand that will go nicely with the look of my livingroom. and a 20gal regular kit. I wanted long, but the stands werent quite right. i want the fish to be happy, but i need to be happy too :)

Its not a bowfront *sigh* but i decided that the 46gal will still be there, when i feel more comfortable with that much water.

So, i will be assembling the stand, heh then i will rinse everything, then kinda set it up. I waited on the decorations, only because the last time i purchased a "log with plants," when i put it into the tank it was much too big, so now my son uses it as the whomping willow with his matchbox cars. I didnt want to have that happen again.

I did purchase larger stone gravel, so my fish cannot get them all the way into her mouth, like she can now. I had thought about going gravel-less but hmm, didnt think i'd really like the look, so there will be only a light layer of gravel.

i'm going to have to fight the urge to just put her in there. (once the temp comes up and the chlorine is gone) Cycling is new to me. Very new. As new as it can be. I understand the process, but can i wait for the process to be done?

So here goes.... **grabing trusty screwdriver** ...wish me luck

-Tooterfish

• Admin

Thats so great.......If you need any help in cycling or anything we are here. The best thing to help cycle is to use water from the older tank and anything like gravel, plants, filter media and things like this. It will help the tank cycle much faster. Keep your eyes on the water levels, ammonia, nitrites and then the nitrates. :D

Guest Dee2rob

way to go i have a 48 gal bow front and I love it not hard to maintain at all so if you look to go bigger that is a good tank for it not too big not too small

Guest tooterfish

stand all put together, love those instructions :)

ok, so shortly it will be where i want it... then i'll rinse everything....

then i....

take some water out of the tank she is in? and fill the rest (some) with aged water (i only have 5 gals sitting)? No, cause if i take out some water, i'll have to put the aged water back into her tank.. hmmm...

and using tap water will kill any buggies in there? even with the declorinator?

*sigh* i thought i thought i knew what i was doing (but it is almost midnight, so brain isnt working as quick)

alright.. so if i fill the tank with some tap water, and dechlorinate it, then add some of her water.... (will the temperature flux affect the buggies?)

fill her tank back up... refill jugs for tomorrow heh

do i want it full enough to get the filter running? and all the airstones/wand?

i suppose i'll get it right eventually

Guest Ceridwen

Use the water from the old tank, plus some of the gravel (you can probably put it in a nylon stocking if you dont want it mixing with your new gravel) from the old tank, and take the filter media from the old tank and put it in your new filter. Fill the new tank with dechlorinated tap water, add fish.

Guest tooterfish

i didnt get the tank filled last night... my brain exploded.

so today.. i'm adding water, and declorinator and gravel and bubble wand and stones, waiting for the temp to come up (hubby: **just put the heater in,... will you put the heater in!...oh for crying out loud, put the heater in)

I had one blow up on me once when i was younger, was not fun.

my hubby (who claims he is not very interested, but he reads this forum alot lately, just got back from the store with a few more fish things (a godzilla of a pump that even has an extra outlet! for the pump i have now!)... and a "drop in the water thermometer... hubby: **so we can test the temp of the water she is in now.. and see how off the new tank is... ~mumbles~ so we can put the heater in**

anyways....

had to move the guinea pig cage (cause that was the perfect place for for the tank) which meant i had to move the plant stand and telephone table, which meant i had to move my hubby's side lamp, which meant i had to move his chair (this might not go over well) and the room is still wrong somehow.

there are things piled on my kitchen table... air line, silk plants, suction cup air line clip things, test kits, jugs of water.. gawd.. plus i have a bowl of rinsed rocks on my counter, instructions for all my new gadgets... everywhere i look has some fish stuff... i think i have gone insane, my brain may have just exploded again. i just may be enjoying it. :)

Archived