Betta tank/filtration questions

KrazE

I have had a 10 gallon tank that has not been in use, and recently I have decided that I will not be getting any new goldfish to add to my 75g. I'm fairly certain that once my big brutes pass away (which I hope won't be for many years to come!), I will likely switch the tank into a planted tropical.

But back to the 10 gallon.

I changed it's location and set it up last week, I removed the rock cave, one of the fake plants, and a piece of driftwood from the goldfish tank & added it to the 10 gallon. I also have cuttings of pothos sticking out of the filter, and a section on the side.

The filter on the tank is an AquaTech 5-15 and I have some substrat Pro and filter floss in it taken directly from my Eheim on the goldfish tank; I won't be putting anyone in it for awhile though.

I added a new 75W heater which has been maintaining a temp of 78F, and a glass thermometer with a weighted base to monitor the temp.

My questions are (since I haven't had a betta in many many years)..

Is the aquatech enough filtration for a betta?

Is a 10 gallon tank too big for one betta?

If the aquatech is fine, how frequently would the tank need a WC?

What is the optimum water temp for a betta?

Should I remove the deco I added, or just some of it?

Would a betta want lots of free swimming room, or places to hide?

Would the tank need to have substrate or can I keep with the bare bottom tank that I prefer?

Any other info would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by KrazE

I don't know about the aquatech but I can help with some of the questions!

1. 10 gallons isn't too big for a betta at all! I personally think it's the optimal size for a single male and perhaps a few shrimp/otos as tank mates.

2. water temp should be around 27-28ºC (80-82ºF according to google).

3. I think it would be better if you add extra plants so the betta has more places to swim through as enrichment/hide if it feels the need to! I like my betta tanks more densely planted but I know live plants aren't for all.

4. I'm not too sure about substrate but I think bettas would not mind either way, since they generally do not stick around the bottom of the tank - they're usually mid to upper level swimmers, especially because they need to breathe air.

Is the aquatech enough filtration for a betta? Yep! I have a 10 gallon betta tank, with the same filter, and when my betta sorority tank was in a 10 gallon, it was also run with one of those filters. Worked just fine!

Is a 10 gallon tank too big for one betta? Not at all! I am sure he would love the space.

If the aquatech is fine, how frequently would the tank need a WC? Depending on what else you stock the tank with, a 25-30% change weekly would be fine.

What is the optimum water temp for a betta? The 78 the tank is at will be just fine for your betta- they are pretty adaptable to temperature, and just need somewhere between 70 and 82 to be happy and healthy.

Should I remove the deco I added, or just some of it? Depends on how you want your tank to look!

Would a betta want lots of free swimming room, or places to hide? Lots of places to relax and explore, with some free space to swim, too.

Would the tank need to have substrate or can I keep with the bare bottom tank that I prefer? I don't see why you couldn't do bare bottom, if that is how you like your tank! They really aren't picky fish.

A betta will love having 10 gallons and will surprise you with how much he uses it. After seeing my own betta (quite a while ago now) in a big tank, I'm even more saddened by the awful little betta bowls and tiny tanks typically used for them.

I would think that filter would be fine, as long as it doesn't produce an overly strong current. Bettas don't like to be blown around. You could do fairly small water changes for one betta in 10 gallons. 25% once a week should be fine. More if you're in the mood. ;)

Bettas like it warm, 81 to 82ish.

Deco is totally your call. A hiding place or two will be appreciated. But bettas can become very social and may not use them. They do appreciate having a plant or two (real or fake) to rest on though.

Substrate or not is also up to you. Bettas aren't big substrate pickets (they're mainly surface eaters) so he won't mind either way.

Bettas are enjoyable little fish! Be sure to share a photo when you get yours!

P.S. You'll need to "feed" the BBs (beneficial bacteria) in the tank until there's a fish in there, since you already moved cycled media into the filter, or else they will just die off. They need ammonia to eat.

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I really haven't decided on the final look, and I have plenty of time to decide anyway, but I did need to get the cave out of the goldfish tank since I've had it blocked off to keep the big piggies from trying to fit through it, and I wanted to steal some good bacteria with some established algae :D

ive had lots of bettas, 78 is the minimum temp i had all there tanks at. as for the filter its fine, they onyl need light filtration. i used to use an aquaclear 20 with the flow set to its lowest. bettas dont like a lot of flow. the more coverage the better, so either silk plants or real plants, i wouldnt use plastic because it can tear there beautiful long fins. i used to do weekly water changes just like goldfish, you dont have to do 50% though with bettas but i have since im so used to goldfish and the betta was fine. 10 gallones is not too big for a betta, you can always add a snail or sometimes ghost shimp stay alive with some bettas, some bettas eat shrimp some dont. driftwood is excellent for bettas it usually lowers the pH. they do like to have caves. i used to use terra cotta pots, but if you have enough coverage he should feel safe enough. oh and substrate, i have always had gravel and none of my bettas hurt themselves on it.

would love to see pics of your tank :)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

The common temp seems to be 80, so I'll bump it up a tad.

The fake plant in there is very soft, but I forget the type so I'd have to look it up another day. It was in with the gf and did not cause any fin tears when they swam through it.

I will likely not add any substrate though as I'm just not a fan of it, and I might chop down the driftwood to a smaller piece, but I'm still thinking about the exact look I want.

Pic will come when I finally settle on the final look :)

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

well it sounds great, im sure the betta will love it. ive recently moved my one betta i have now to my 5 gallon spec and it is bare bottom, it still looks good and we have drift wood bunch of anubias and moss balls, fish seems to like it fine

Honestly 80F is very much the optimum temperature for these guys. It's the temperature where they really get optimum metabolic function, they're digestive systems function a lot better, and as a result, their immune systems are also much stronger.

Really anywhere between 78-82F is fine as a permanent temperature, but I wouldn't have it sitting 74 and below, or above 82F permanently, although they can handle both ends of the spectrum, whilst it not being preferable and metabolically suitable for the long term. Keep in mind that although they do require warmer waters, it does decrease their lifespan, which is why you can often see bettas in poor conditions (providing they do not get ill) will often outlive very healthy bettas in proper conditions- but I guess it's the quality of life that counts rather than the quantity of it!

Tall, flowing plants are best, since it provides a sense of security, and makes the surface air more readily available especially when they're resting. I personally think plants and large rocks are the better option over things such as caves since caves are very secluded areas, with not much room, meaning if the betta is stressed, he could easily become limited to that one spot. Large rocks are much better, and plants will provide much more coverage in the tank, providing a secure environment for an active betta, even when a little stressed.

Issue with substrate, is, that although it isn't necessary for a betta to be happy and carry out natural behaviours, the reflection of the glass can be issue, especially if you have a fin nipper, or a particularly stress-sensitive betta (which can often develop nipping issues). It's not something you have to make a decision on now, but if there is an issue in the future, I would be laying a thin layer of substrate, or even painting the bottom of the tank or making sure the tank is sitting on a stand with a whitish surface. Bettas will take time to adjust to reflections though, and it could be an instance of flaring at the bottom more so than swimming for the first few days to a week, and then getting over it completely, so time-adjustment is important.

:)

The flaring/reflection thing is interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

I should clarify that the 'cave' is really just a large rock arch and not an enclosure; it was in my goldfish tank which would never contain anything that could hold stagnant water :)

The 'cave' is the rock arch on the right, and the long flowing soft (fake) plant is in the same location near it - those were moved to the future betta tank

Tank1_Dec8.jpg