What are my fish doing?

asha

I got these two fish 2 weeks ago and after about a week, Mango, my red and black oranda started picking on Peach, my red and white oranda. He didn't chase her but he would follow her everywhere and nip at her fins and face and started pushing into her with his head (I don't know what they're genders actually are). I noticed Peach started getting pretty stressed out so a couple days ago I bought a tank divider (they're in a 30 gallon). The water parameters have been great the entire time I've had them. Also, Peach is looking much more perky and less stressed since they've been separated.

Today I decided to try and put them together again and see what happens. Here's a video of what they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJphgbjRkg4

Wow, they are really going at each other!

Any chance you could get up up close pics of both fish? I am curious about gender of these fish. To me it does look like some courting behavior, but they seem to switch roles occasionally, and I haven't personally seen fish nip at each other like that as part of breeding behavior :idont

Is this happening all the time or is it just around feeding times?

Guest Jessie

This is what happened to my fish, too, when I started keeping goldfish.

Can you please answer these questions down below? :)

How big of a tank do you have? Goldfish can be very nippy when it is too small

By any chance, do you know the gender of the fish? This could POSSIBLY be rough breeding...

Also, can you get close pics of the fish fins? Are they torn?

Waiting, then we could go on! :)

EDIT: Whoops sorry! So they are in a 30 gallon tank? Ok, so since they are both in ONE section, which means they both are in a 15 gallon? Alright, I think I know what to do! :D

Edited by Jessie

Wow, they are really going at each other!

Any chance you could get up up close pics of both fish? I am curious about gender of these fish. To me it does look like some courting behavior, but they seem to switch roles occasionally, and I haven't personally seen fish nip at each other like that as part of breeding behavior :idont

Is this happening all the time or is it just around feeding times?

it was happening all the time before I separated them, but it got worse at feeding time. Now during feeding times I see them try to get at each other through the divider.

Alright, waiting for pics of the torn fins and what not! :)

Mango doesn't have any torn fins and Peach just has one very small tear on her tail fin. And yes they each have 15 gallons to themselves.

That looks like the same aggression my fish show after feeding and when I added a new fish to my tank. If this is constant then separating them is a good idea, especially if they came from separate locations when you bought them and haven't lived together long.

That looks like the same aggression my fish show after feeding and when I added a new fish to my tank. If this is constant then separating them is a good idea, especially if they came from separate locations when you bought them and haven't lived together long.

I got them at the same time and they were living in the same tank :)

I hope your fish are going to be okay and are not too torn up. Sounds like they might need some medical attention. Hopefully a mod will see this and give you the proper help/advice.

Guest Jessie

Alright, I think Jess knows what to do! :D

Ok, I have two fish that did the exact same thing but WORSE. This worked for me.. so here it goes!

Get the biter, and place him in a smaller tank, maybey JUST a few gallons smaller, and keep him in there for a couple of days. Make sure that the water quality and everthing is not too high, test the water 2x a day....

Keep him in there for about.... 3 days or so.

Keep the smaller tank away from the original.

After the three days have passed, take out the divider ( so they would have more room, so they would not be in a tight, compacted area, and observe them.... for about... at least 10 minutes. If they dont bite, great job! if they still do, keep Mango in the smaller tank for about.... 3 more days, and put them together agian. Also, when Mango is in the smaller tank, take out the divider in the original, so Peach would have more space, and wont be stressed. Good luck!

I'd still keep them separated for awhile, as they seem to go at each other a lot. The break might be just what they need.

(edit) I forgot to add before I hit post: observe each fish separately for a few days, and look for any signs that something might be wrong.

Edited by ChelseaM

Guest Jessie

Also, If they keep biting, and they wont stop, go to the diagnosis forum, so a mod smarter than me will help you. It might be a medical ting, just as someone stated. Or, you could just simply seperate them and give them tanks of thier own. :) Good luck!

Ok, I have two fish that did the exact same thing but WORSE. This worked for me.. so here it goes!

Get the biter, and place him in a smaller tank, maybey JUST a few gallons smaller, and keep him in there for a couple of days. Make sure that the water quality and everthing is not too high, test the water 2x a day....

After the three days have passed, take out the divider ( so they would have more room, so they would not be in a tight, compacted area, and observe them.... for about... at least 10 minutes. If they dont bite, great job! if they still do, keep Mango in the smaller tank for about.... 3 more days, and put them together agian. Also, when Mango is in the smaller tank, take out the divider in the original, so Peach would have more space, and wont be stressed. Good luck!

Okay I will give this a try! Thanks!

Guest Jessie

No problem, my friend! This happened to me twice, and this method worked like a charm! I hope it works out for you, too, which it most likely will.:D Also, treat Peach with some nice goldfish treats, and some nice food, so she would be happier and less stressed. :)

Guest Jessie

No problem, my friend! This happened to me twice, and this method worked like a charm! I hope it works out for you, too, which it most likely will. :D Also, treat Peach with some nice goldfish treats, and some nice food, so she would be happier and less stressed. :)

And if this doesn't work, you could get a darker divider, which is found in petsmart or petco, and place it in, so they wont see each other. :)

No problem, my friend! This happened to me twice, and this method worked like a charm! I hope it works out for you, too, which it most likely will. :D Also, treat Peach with some nice goldfish treats, and some nice food, so she would be happier and less stressed. :)

And if this doesn't work, you could get a darker divider, which is found in petsmart or petco, and place it in, so they wont see each other. :)

I don't have an extra tank to put Mango into so would putting in a darker divider work just as well? If not I could probably dig out a storage bin for him.

Just some extra info, I recently found out that my fish have parasites. Here's the thread http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108072-possible-parasite/

I ordered some prazi and it should be here next week. Could this have anything to do with their behaviour?

fyi Peach stopped bottom sitting after she was separated from Mango

Guest Jessie

Yes, when my faintail was nipping my Oranda, my Oranda was bottom sitting as well. It is probaly because Peach was too weak or scared to get up... So I saw you posted in the D&D thread, so after the treatment, see how things gow between them, see if they are still nipping. If they are, start trying my method. :) I reccomend you dig out a meduim sized storage bin for Mango to be in, if you dont have one, meduim - sized ones range about 10-15$ at Walmart. Good Luck! Best prayers. :D

Edited by Jessie

Yes, when my faintail was nipping my Oranda, my Oranda was bottom sitting as well. It is probaly because Peach was too weak or scared to get up... So I saw you posted in the D&D thread, so after the treatment, see how things gow between them, see if they are still nipping. If they are, start trying my method. :) I reccomend you dig out a meduim sized storage bin for Mango to be in, if you dont have one, meduim - sized ones range about 10-15$ at Walmart. Good Luck! Best prayers. :D

I found a 10 gallon storage bin for Mango. Should I still put him into it, or wait until after treatment? The prazi won't arrive for over week.

Guest Jessie

Darn... I would wait for the treatment... Alright, set up the ten gallon storage bin, and put Mango in it. Wait for the Prazi to come, and treat them.So Mango would have to wait longe, which is better for both of them. Peach would have more of the tank to herself, and feel less stressed, and Mangos method could be longer which is better! Ok! this is doing good so far. Also, treat Peach with good treats, but dont treat Mango, because that is just rewarding him for picking on Peach, I may sound crazy, but this really works. Good luck! :)

Jessie, I believe it might be best for Mango and Peach to stay in the same tank, so no treatment gets mixed up and to make it easier and less expensive to treat the pair. If the divider is in place there will be little to no chance of them hurting each other anyway.

Guest Jessie

Jessie, I believe it might be best for Mango and Peach to stay in the same tank, so no treatment gets mixed up and to make it easier and less expensive to treat the pair. If the divider is in place there will be little to no chance of them hurting each other anyway.

Alright, I guess so. :)