Nymphaea In aquariums

Gcourtney

A water lily? Is it the dwarf type or the full size? The full size will outgrow your tank QUICKLY. My first dwarf variety outgrow a 5g tank.

They like having slightly higher light. They will do fine under lower lite too, but grow to full potential if there is stronger light, and the leaves of the dwarf variety will get a more red color.

When they grow tall and the leaves reach the surface, these can cover a lot of the water surface. I haven't had mine bloom yet so I can not really tell you anything about that. :)

Now we need photos :D

I've tried tiger lotus a few times, and it always seems to become a snack. That could be because the plants are always just the bulb. Each little leaf that tries to pop up, gets gobbled up.

If you have an already started plant, I imagine you'd do ok. :)

I've tried tiger lotus a few times, and it always seems to become a snack. That could be because the plants are always just the bulb. Each little leaf that tries to pop up, gets gobbled up.

If you have an already started plant, I imagine you'd do ok. :)

yep it's already has thick leaves that are about fold out they are half open and my goldfish aren't plant attackers luckily :)

Sounds as though it might be the hardy waterlily "Chromatella". That's a smaller variety, but still pretty big for an aquarium.

Good luck with it!

~Bruce

I like tiger lily (the type you can get as dry bulbs) and I've used it with goldfish. Always a pretty plant, but keep away from filters as they will bash the leaves to bits.

I like tiger lily (the type you can get as dry bulbs) and I've used it with goldfish. Always a pretty plant, but keep away from filters as they will bash the leaves to bits.

I might have to order some my store quit ordering them :(

Can we see some pictures, Gustave?

you betcha

Thank you! Looks fab! How do you have it planted?

I have the two air stone walls holding it down :lol if not for them it would be floating around the tank

Looking good, Gustave! Has it grown at all since you got it?

:lol yes it had hardly a bud on it and in four weeks this is how much it has grown :lol

:o They don't need to be planted into substrates at all? I can't believe they're so easy to grow! :o:rofl

yep my rooted its self into the substrate they need to be planted in a big pot or else the will float up so I buried the bottom of it in the sand and used the air stones to hold it down :lol mission status okie fied:lol