Sign in to follow this  
megaredize

Temp. Goldfish food

I've only had my goldfish for a few days and didnt have money for good food. I bought crappy nutrafin max flakes. I get paid this week and will be ordering hikari pellets and some repashy but untill it comes, i ahve this flake food, which i feed a bit in the morning. I do have peas so they got that lastnight. I also do have frozen bloodworms which i havent given them yet. but i have hikari tropical micro pellets, because my fiance had tetras. i gave them a bit 2 days ago, i presoaked a bit and they ate it up. the pellets are really small but my fish are really small. My question is are those pellets okay to use sometimes untill i get the good stuff? Im thinking it might be better than the flakes i have lol

Those tropical pellets will suffice until you get the "good stuff." Your goldfish can also eat most seafood that you eat. Mine have always loved cocktail shrimp diced finely (rinsed well to remove salt), crab, tilapia, sole, etc.

Just my opinion, but feed what you have. Your baby will be just fine. When you run out of food, you can upgrade.

ya i dont eat seafood really lol ill probably break out the frozen bloodworms soon i havent used those in awhile. i also have a betta so he loves those and i've seen other people feed them to goldfish. as long as shipping does take to long. im in canada and ill be ordering the food from the tastyworm place that is kokos lovely sponsor.

Idk the availability in Canada, but I got Omega 1 at petsmart for a back up food, it's not expensive at all.

Frozen bloodworms and greens would work just as well as those pellets, if the wait isn't too long. Part of a treatment for floating that I was instructed on had me feeding only bloodworms and kale for a week, with no ill effects. Fresh Spinach, green beans, and peas work well too. Peas, though, can cause gas so I wouldn't feed just those every day. :)

Bloodworms are pretty important in the goldfish diet. :) Raingarden's Steve Hopkins really looks into that in his article: http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms_legos.pdf

I feed them 2-3x per week for protein and as a treat, and it really helps my Oranda's wen to grow huge quickly. The fish also really love them, and go nuts when I get their cup out to thaw them in.

Veggies are good. :)

Fresh vegetables will be great too! A cucumber costs around 70-80 cent, depending on where you get it, and will feed your fish for at least a week. It surely is not the most well balanced food, but it will work as only food for a short while. :)

oh ya i havent been feeding peas daily, they have only gotten that once, and as per petsmart i live in a very small town, i pretty much have to order everything, i cant even get hay for my guinea pigs here without ordering it online lol. so im just gonna get some repashy super green, and hikari fancy pellets from tasty worms. im sure it wont take too long, most stuff from the states only takes a week sometimes to get to me.

I do have cucumber so i can feed them that. ooh i have hikari seaweed extreme pellets, i bought that for salt water hermit crabs but then stupid bristle worms killed the crabs :( it says its for marine herbivores thats why i havent used it yet.

You have little fish that need calories and protein to grow. The cheapest grade of goldfish food has these in abundance. Vegetables, with the exception of peas, have virtually none of these. That's why you get to eat them on a weight loss diet. Vegetables are excellent for adult fish. while they are good as an extra, they are no substitute for fish food for growing youngsters.

ya im not trying to only feed them only veggies. that i ahve been doing is giving them flakes every morning and then in the evening, i have been giving them the hikari tropical micro pellets. one day i gave them peas because i want to do that weekly to keep their system running smoothly. and im going to try a bit of frozen bloodworms tomorrow. i wanted to do it today but my fiance gave our betta regular betta food before i had the chance to tell him not to feed the betta. since the bloodworms comes in squares, i dont need much blood worms, a lot goes to waste. but once i place my order with tasty worms ill have hikari fancy pellets to feed as a staple and getting some repashy as an extra