Sign in to follow this  
doddmatic

Not sure what to do about my lighting situation

Hi all

I've just upgraded to a lovely new 220 Litre tank, in the place of a hood though it has two pieces of sliding glass,

My house is quite dark, and I live in a country with very little sunlight so I need a good strong artificial light at this time of year.

I bought this lighting control unit for the tank last week:

3zD56Wz.jpg

And this bulb (An interpet 18W Community Daylight):

gJdrhoY.jpg

However, when I put the light on top of the tank it barely illuminates it, at first I thought that it was not bright enough,

but then I took an old hood (which I have to give away this week) and stuck it on top, like so:

XJkITJQ.jpg

This is the bulb contained in it:

kB2livT.jpg

It's an 18W bulb so I presume it doesn't give off much more light.

Is the issue that I need something with a reflector that will 'trap' and 'direct' the light as with the hood?

Or do I need to buy a double strip light controller or something a little bit stronger?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Derek

Edited by doddmatic

Hi if I were u...

I would get the exact width of yr tank

That will cover from extreme left to right..

*it can even flip-up for easy access!

U notice I got this Aquazonic T5 and not T8 is because T5 is much brighter but look at the wattage!

This Aquazonic T5 can takes up to 4x T5

I only uses 2x T5..

*reducing electricity bills & less evaporation

And I think it works just right!

Im using Tropical Pink for both T5

to bring out the red/orange color in my Fancy!

20130313_002254-1.jpg

20130313_002112.jpg

20130313_002338.jpg

Oh Derek, welcome to my dimly lit world. Some months ago, I did almost exactly what you have done. I purchased a nice, big second hand tank. Mine is also of rather peculiar dimensions.

Then I tried to rig lighting. Buying appropriate lighting (from a pet store) within the country is way out of my budget right now so I have had some shop lighting and now have supplemented with clipped on IKEA LED lights. None of this is sufficient. Spring has saved me from total plant death as the tank is sort of near a window.

Dankriscurly's light is my dream. Here on the shady side, such a light costs the same amount as round trip tickets to London for my family of four so it is not happening.

If you find a euro-solution (brand or ebay store), let me know!

These Aquazonic would cost $189 Singapore Dollars

Or in yr currency......

• Norway Kroner 866 $
  • Irish Pound 91.40 $$

initially i started with some cheaper lightings and even LED but all didnt work out...

No Pain$$$ No Gain :saywhat

I hear yah. They would have to be special ordered and Norway would tack 25% import tax on top of the purchase price. At some point, I just have to drive to Denmark.

Your tank is lovely, by the way. :)

It's funny, most aquarium related gear seems really overpriced in Ireland and the UK compared to the rest of the world. Buying an assembly like that new would probably be out of the question for me at the moment.

I imagine some kind of freestanding light is probably my only option short of building a hood from timber which I think would probably ruin the look of the tank.

I may bring the light controller back to the shop tomorrow and use the shop credit to buy something more powerful, or I'll have a look around on local boards for some kind of assembly

Do you think that a reflector makes a huge difference?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Actually, I do. We have one on our smaller tank and the tiny bulb really lights the tank.

Hi there! So your tank is about 58 US gallons, and you have an 18 watt light.

That really is not very much light, honestly. Growing aquatic plants will be rather impossible in there as you currently sport 0.3 watt per 1 US gallon of water.

Even the plants that require the lowest intensity of light require about 0.7 watt per gallon.

Even without plants, your current light is rather weak.

If you are looking for a cheap but strong additional light, try to find a couple clip on lights sort of like this http://www.gracioushome.com/images/5016814_3.jpg, clip them to each far end of the tank and use a 13watt CFL bulb in each lamp. The 13 watt CFL each equal a 60 watt incandescent bulb and they will illuminate your tank nicely.

This is a very cheap (purchase as well as power usage) but effective way to illuminate a tank, and I even am successful with aquatic plants this way :)

Thanks for the advice, I have an opportunity tomorrow to bring the light controller back to the shop I bought it from in the meantime and get something brighter with two bulbs, should I go ahead and do that?

Your tank looks amazing

Hi if I were u...

I would get the exact width of yr tank

That will cover from extreme left to right..

*it can even flip-up for easy access!

U notice I got this Aquazonic T5 and not T8 is because T5 is much brighter but look at the wattage!

This Aquazonic T5 can takes up to 4x T5

I only uses 2x T5..

*reducing electricity bills & less evaporation

And I think it works just right!

Im using Tropical Pink for both T5

to bring out the red/orange color in my Fancy!

20130313_002254-1.jpg

20130313_002112.jpg

20130313_002338.jpg

Thkq for Liking my Tank

Took me a week to give e used tank a facelift with black vinyl stickers

& believe me...

the old lightings wasnt waterproof & the ex-owner just left 2x T8 with very messy wirings

And I could be electrocuted!

Im glad it looks good now :)

So I got these AquaZonics...

2013-03-09233538.png2013-03-13085404.png

I bought a tank recently with a lid made out of kitchen top with some fluorescent under-lighting attached, I thought it was clever at first

but it was probably just dangerous

Too true, you'll be glad to know that I traded my controller in for a dual 30W T8,I put two 25W bulbs in it this evening and it was absurdly bright so I've taken one out and it seems alright

8ady8e4a.jpg

From the photo it looks like it is throwing a lot of light upwards? You can fix this with a simple reflector, some aluminium foil folded into a trapezoid type shape will suffice. If you go this route, just make sure the foil doesn't touch any of the connectors or the bulbs themselves. Also ensure that you secure it using a heat proof/electrician's tape.

Something like this is an ideal reflector shape:

LightReflectorShape_zpsaea8012f.png

Great, my girlfriend's dad builds furniture so I was thinking of asking him to build something out if wood, hadn't thought of aluminium though, that would work well as a reflector on the inside? We were thinking about using the material from a photographer's light reflector too

Wood with some reflective material inside is a common fix around here. It can be as simple as building a wooden hood for the tank and lining it with foil. A better and more lasting variant can be made with any solid reflecting material - steering away from things like mirrors which could break. A friend got a .... blickenschlager (have no idea what that is in English) .. a guy who makes stainless steel things - countertops and the like... to make her a reflector in the shape Dan suggested. She then built a wooden hood around it.

Great, my girlfriend's dad builds furniture so I was thinking of asking him to build something out if wood, hadn't thought of aluminium though, that would work well as a reflector on the inside? We were thinking about using the material from a photographer's light reflector too

In terms of DIY reflectors, the shiny side of aluminium foil outperforms just about everything. There's a type of white paint that works rather well too (although it currently eludes my memory). Anyway, you should see improvements with the foil, both in regard to light reflection and PAR increase. :)

That's great, kitchen foil being nice and cheap :-)