Mouth Fungus? Help!

opis_fin

Gosh, poor guy. :(

Let's try the fungus cure according to the directions, while still giving him a daily salt dip.

I am quite certain by now from the progression of things that this is columnaris. Even with readily available stronger antibiotics, chances of recovery are not 100%. I just want you to know not to give up hope, but to give you my honest appraisal of the situation.

Yes, please remove all traces of carbon from the system.

Good luck, and I hope for great news! :)

Is he/she still able to eat?

Ok thanks Alex I will do - I missed giving him a salt dip last night because the fish guy I saw yesterday to get the fungus cure told me not to do any other treatments while doing this one. But my partner and I can do the salt dip this morning. I will take your word over the LFS's word!! To confirm ... am I still to do 100% water changes with the 3% salt per liter etc... as the fungus cure bottle says 20% water change every 3 days then to repeat treatment if needed?

Progress: the infected area's are a a very strong red colour now... especially under his eyes. It also looks like he is losing mass... (also doing a LOT of poo!)

He is still able to eat, thankfully!

Thank you for all your support you guys!! I appreciate it. I'm staying as positive as I can. While trying to do the best that I can.

• Supporter

hun, i won't be leading you for meds, but would you mind telling us what colour the poop is, is it food colour? does it have any blood in it? can you feel the belly and advise if it is soft or firm? also, are you able to check colour of the gills and report back?

I know it's only been a few minutes since my last post, however, things look like they have taken a turn for the worst. My partner was watching the lil' man the whole time while I was posting here then I joined him after feeding my other crew of goldies.

He was swimming fine when I posted this but before I fed him he started to just float around, bottom sitting as if he has no will to swim. I put some food in for him (hikari sinking pellets) and he didn't go straight for them like he did last night :( in fact I don't think he's eaten one bit...

I keep watching him, looks like right this second he is swimming a little bit.

He definitely is a little fighter, but I fear the end may be quite close.

It's as if he is blowing the food around but can't take it in... and his swimming when he does, doesn't seem to be very strong at all...

• Supporter

i'm sorry hun, columnaris is really aggressive and most times, by the time it can be diagnosed, treatments are unable to resolve matters as it's too advanced :(

but, if you choose to remain as strong as he is and continue fighting, we're here for you every step of the way :heart

hun, i won't be leading you for meds, but would you mind telling us what colour the poop is, is it food colour? does it have any blood in it? can you feel the belly and advise if it is soft or firm? also, are you able to check colour of the gills and report back?

No worries Helen, thanks for the thought though x

His poop is food colour.

His gills look ok,

I would feel for firmness but I really don't want to stress him - he is starting to float side ways now and faint... I think this it :(

At approx 20 minutes ago our gorgeous Cydon (spin off name from Poseidon) lost his life.

To non fish enthusiasts they would not have thought much of it... but to my partner and I even though we only had Cydon for a short time, he was apart of our lil family - we love our fish and spend so much time and energy with them and for them.

We did the best we could for the little guy - if it wasn't for you guys here on the forums for helping along the way I'd have been in a heap and not known what to do.

Thank you so much for your help and support!

xx

So sorry for your loss Lisa.... :rip: .... Cydon........(not a smiley I like using)

People who don't keep fish don't understand the distress and upset caused on these occasions.

As you said, you did your best for the little guy in his short life.....certainly don't go beating yourself up over this. ;)

Take care......