Mouth Fungus? Help!

opis_fin

Help please :(

I got this fish 6 days ago. When I got him his mouth was showing a tiny bit of a red mark. I thought it may have been just a sore, as if he swam into something. Two days ago I took the first photo when I was slightly but not massively concerned, I showed the shop I got him from this photo and they suggested metafix so I'm doing a course of that for him. And today I took the second photo and I'm really concerned for him. Personally I haven't seen this before as I'm fairly new to fish keeping, but by doing some research I have a feeling it's Mouth Fungus.

I've looked around for treatments online, however all I seem to dig up is "make sure water conditions are good" etc., the basic stuff I do anyway...

I bought Pimafix while at the shop, would it be worth doing a course of that instead of the Metafix? Or finish the Metafix then do Pimafix?

In general, what would you guys/gals suggest I do??

Cydon2_zpsf1ced9f1.jpg

Cydon3_zps16dad084.jpg

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 5 -10 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.4
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops API Master Freshwater
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua One 101F
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Water conditioner
  • * Water temperature? 27 deg C / 80 deg F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago and 75%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40L / 10gal (temporary)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? either Hikari Pellets, blood worm or Soilent Green Gel, fed twice daily
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? API Metafix
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) None (new fish)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Possible fungus on mouth? other than that looks fine
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? a little bit of bottom sitting - eats fine however
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - This tank was originally just my plant growing tank, however has had to become some what of a quarantine tank for this lil guy :( We have only had the fish for 6 days
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Edited by LuluLisa

Hello, I'm sorry he's having issues. It looks like he has a rather very advanced case of mouth rot. This looks to be bacterial, and could be columnaris. We do need to treat, and fast, to help save his mouth.

This is what I would like for you to do:

1. Immediately jump the tank to 0.3% salt. That's 3 grams of salt for every liter of water. Put the salt in a pantyhose, and let it dissolve.

2. Do 100% WCs daily, and replace salt every day. Pickling salt (or any salt without any additives) is very cheap. :)

3. Do daily salt dips as well. Instructions are down below.

4. Call the fish shops and see what they have by ways of antibiotics. Post here, and let me know, and we can decide together.

Hang in there.

SALT DIP

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.

2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.

3. make sure you have some sort of timer

4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.

5. start timer.

6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.

7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.

9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Is Epsom salt ok or table salt? I'm not good with my salts, sorry!! if not I will have to go get different salt now. And I will call my LPS to see what they have in the way of antibiotics :)

No, Epsom is an entirely different kind of salt.

We want sodium chloride, or the common salt, but without any additives. There should be several varieties that have no additives, including sea salt and pickling salt, but you do need to check on the label that there is nothing but salt in there. :)

hun, if it's only a 40 litre, buy the API aquarium salt. that way, you know 100% its safe for the fish.

Hi Helen, thanks :) luckily that's what I got.

He has had his salt dip, lasted 2 minutes then fainted. He is in the recovery tank at the moment. Then we will put him back in the quarantine tank, of which we have also done a 100% water change.

Our poor little man, I hope he gets through this!! I will keep you guys updated on his progress...

My partner and I are going to be getting a bigger quarantine tank tomorrow. The one I have is just so small and very old.

• Supporter

hun, if it's only a 40 litre, buy the API aquarium salt. that way, you know 100% its safe for the fish.

Hi Helen, thanks :) luckily that's what I got.

He has had his salt dip, lasted 2 minutes then fainted. He is in the recovery tank at the moment. Then we will put him back in the quarantine tank, of which we have also done a 100% water change.

Our poor little man, I hope he gets through this!! I will keep you guys updated on his progress...

My partner and I are going to be getting a bigger quarantine tank tomorrow. The one I have is just so small and very old.

awesome!.. i am not sure when again you can salt dip. i mean, we normally wait a day between salt dipping, however, this case is very extreme and we fear the fish will lose it's mouth. i am very sure Alex is contacting a source here in AU that might be able to supply you with some medicine that we know can help.

hang tight :)

looking forward to the updates. and please, do take progress pictures so that we can compare.. sometimes, little differences on the improve go unnoticed :)

I forgot to mention earlier that if you don't have an air stone/bubble disk in your QT tank, please get one if you can. Helen has a really nice round one that I think is great for this.

With the dip, the salt, the well oxygenated water, and the daily water changes, the idea is to make the environment inhospitable to the bugs while promoting healing of the fish. :)

Edit: it's OK to do the salt dips daily. Just please update us as well :)

Thank you thank you. Gee if I could get some meds for him I'd be so grateful!!

I don't have an air stone in his quarantine tank at the moment. We can organise for one in his new tank tomorrow though!

I will do another salt dip tomorrow around the same time as we did it today, as well as take some progress photos to post here.

Thank you both so much for your help

It's like the fish equivalent of an human Cleft Palate isn't it.....

Except that cleft palates are failures for the gap to be closed during development, while this is because an infection is ripping the upper lip in half. :(

I hope your fish feels better soon, he is adorable. you are doing an excellent job!

Thank you so much :)

Sorry to hear of the little fella's problem.... It's like the fish equivalent of an human Cleft Palate isn't it..... :(

Thanks, yeah sort of - but like dnalex says Cleft Palate is at development, this for my poor lil' guy is infection.

Sorry I didn't update yesterday my partner and I got home from work and worked on the fish tanks for 2.5-3 hours including this lil' mans salt dip treatment etc. and it was late by the time we had finished it all.

He did so well with yesterday's salt dip, and completed the entire 5 minutes without fainting! And the same with today's dip to :) I'm so proud of him.

I will post progress shots if I can get them tomorrow. But, for now, his lip is not looking the best at the moment. There is a bit more missing now. As my partner says it's as if the infection has stopped on one side and started on the other. I will try my best to get photos tomorrow for you guys!!

Hello,

I look forward to the picture updates. Did you make any progress on finding any antibiotics? Also, please put acriflavine on the list of things to see if they LFSs might carry. :)

Sorry to hear of the little fella's problem.... It's like the fish equivalent of an human Cleft Palate isn't it.....

Thanks, yeah sort of - but like dnalex says Cleft Palate is at development, this for my poor lil' guy is infection.

Yeah sorry LuluLisa....it wasn't a diagnosis, I was just comparing its' appearance.... :oops: sorry!!

Hello,

I look forward to the picture updates. Did you make any progress on finding any antibiotics? Also, please put acriflavine on the list of things to see if they LFSs might carry. :)

He is not looking much better at all... unfortunately it's worse. These are the pictures I got today - the poor little guys whole face is showing red colouring, as if the infection is within his mouth etc...

Cydon4_zps247e15a8.jpg

Cydon5_zpsf9c79035.jpg

I managed to get "Fungus Cure" by Blue Planet from my LFS which has the following active ingredients: Acriflavine and Malachite Green.

The bottle says I need to remove any activated carbon. Does this mean I need to remove the carbon in the filter?

Sorry to hear of the little fella's problem.... It's like the fish equivalent of an human Cleft Palate isn't it.....

Yeah sorry LuluLisa....it wasn't a diagnosis, I was just comparing its' appearance.... :oops: sorry!!

Oh no no don't be sorry :) I know what you mean by the appearance thing. Not a problem matey.

Gosh, poor guy. :(

Let's try the fungus cure according to the directions, while still giving him a daily salt dip.

I am quite certain by now from the progression of things that this is columnaris. Even with readily available stronger antibiotics, chances of recovery are not 100%. I just want you to know not to give up hope, but to give you my honest appraisal of the situation.

Yes, please remove all traces of carbon from the system.

Good luck, and I hope for great news! :)

Is he/she still able to eat?