20 gal 5 tetras and sucker fish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That one is OK ... I just really liked the color of the SUPER blue one ...... I found this image on google and its someones photobucket My LPS said they new have seen bright blues ones before only the powder blue ....

dwarf-gourami-female.jpg

That is a powder blue, my dear. Just up close, and probably under lighting in the 8000 degrees K spectrum, which is nicely color enhancing (the 8000 degrees k just describes what color spectrum the light peaks at- in this case, it looks slightly pink/purple, ans makes everything in the tank really stand out- GREAT for plants, too). Those are the bulbs I use on my tanks, and they definitely make all colors really pop, and look very intense. LOVE them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8066+12850&pcatid=12850 <----- those are the bulbs.

OOOOOOO you are wonderful! SWEET! Then I can buy a cheap-E around here. simple. :)

Now I need to put those lights on my list .............. :) hubby is getting excited about the 20 gal tropical tank .... (lets hope we can move that excitement to 55gal .....)

I rinsed with hot water, and then a cap full of prime. I think I will do the same tomorrow and the next day. LOL .... just to be on the safe side. I cant stand more dead fish right now.

When I feel comfortable that all the bleach is out ... how long should I have my tank up and running with the seeded stuff from my 20 gal before I should buy and put the otos in?

I am so excited to have a plan for my tropical s. :)

You don't need to let the tank sit, with a seeded filter, at all before adding your otos. Just put some established filter media in, and add the fish. Check the parameters daily, for a few days just to make sure you don't have a little cycle bump (change water as needed, if you do), and you're good to go!

You need to add the fish in, so they produce the needed ammonia to keep the cycle going on the seeded filter. You don't need to wait before adding them, though.

saa-WEET! So excited. And you said add 3 fish at a time correct? would it hurt to slip in all 5 time give my tank 6 ottos? I would love Bruce Wayne to start feeling better sooner, since they will be in QT for a month. I have not seen him in 3 weeks. Poor little dude.

I still smell some bleach so I am doing a HUGE rinsing again today.

You could certainly try adding all 5 at once. Just watch your cycle for a cycle bump, if you do, and do water changes as needed. I'd buy all 5 at once, and QT them together- then add 2 to he main tank, so Bruce has some buddies, wait 3-4 days and add the remaining 3. It will give the bacteria time to catch up.

Please do rinse again... no bleach smell is a good bleach smell (as in there is no such thing as a good bleach smell). If you get really nervous about it, they do make a chlorine testing kit that you can pick up- it will show for bleach, since bleach is made from chlorine. ;)

Can't wait to see the tank with all of your pretty fishies!

Edited by JamieMonster

Me too - I am much more excited about this tank now that I know a little bit more. Thank you so much!

Ok I will buy all 5 at once, I was thinking that would be good because they are likely to get alone well that way. And just add 3 the first week and maybe even wait a week to add the other 2 ..... sound good?

Did you see my post in tanks about "vintage tanks" I found the PERFECT vintage tank for my tropical's ... LOL 100gal bamboo tank. If I tried to bring that into this house #1 hubby would faint dead away and #2 I would have to sell off a whole wall full of stuff to fit it! LOL .... but I will keep the dream alive!

Your plan to add the new otos sounds great! So much fun!

That bamboo tank sounds amazing! I would totally want it, too. Hehe. I think my hubs would also put the foot down- with the 150 gallon and 50 gallon goldie tanks, and the 75 gallon tropical community going. It does get totally addictive, though! You just see pretty fish at the LFS, or a pic online and think "OOH! I need a tank for some of those!" .LOL. :D

So one of my goldies is acting weird again, had to post in GF D&D, sigh I sure hope I am imagining things. I am getting real stressed out. Parents are moving a truck load of there stuff up (arriving tomorrow). First time they will have seen my big goldie tank up and running (last time they were up in ID I had the goldies in 1 55gal, and 2 10 gals. (I know I know ...) Mostly stressing about the living with parents thing again. I hate having to do that.

Got my QT ready and waiting for the next trip into the "big" town. LOL .... I have to drive 45 mins to get to a petstore. some days I miss the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles.

So I was thinking ....... since my trips into town are not so reg .... would it be OK to put the 5 otos and 1 glow in the QT tank together. And then add them to the 20 gal 3 at a time? Or would that be too much on my QT tank? And it would be better to start the whole QT again with the glo fish alone or maybe with the DrwafG?

Yeah, you could do the otos and the 1 glowfish together, and then add them 3 at a time. You could probably even do your dwarf G in there, with extra water changes. Just keep an eye on your water parameters, and change as needed. I'd change out 25%-50% daily, and you should be OK. It will be on the heavier side with the stocking, but do-able for a couple of weeks, if you put the extra changes in there, since it would be short term housing. I completely understand how getting to the LFS would be a hassle.

Fingers crossed that your goldfish are all ok! Hang in there.

I think I will wait on the DrawfG (I have a feeling his name might end up being Worf cause that is what i keep saying ...) until after these guys are settled. One more thing to look forward too ....

If you check out my post in GF D&D you can see my goldie tank. Pretty boring right now. I am still taking rocks out each water change, then going to figure something out so its not bare bottomed BUT doesn't hold as much EW. and my goldies liked there tanky toys to swim around in .... I need to find something that they like and wont hurt them. But my fish who is acting a bit off is eating, so I sure hope that is a good sign.

OK - been offline for almost a week! (parents moving in upstairs, well first truck load anyways)

I got 4 otos at the store. the others didnt want to come home with us, but I figure that i can get the rest later.

I looked at the dwarf G's. One was super pretty .... but in the corner at the top of the tank and putting my finger next to his eyes he didnt move away from teh side of the tank. Poor little guy was on his way out.

SO now I have the 4 little guys in QT ... they are so darn CUTE! Cant wait for there arrival in community tank! :)