New friend!

tank.jpg

I haven't been on here in forever but I wanted to share my updates! My first and, until now, only goldie has a new home since I last visited this site and also has her first mate!

The first one I knew was female because of the eggs when she was by herself, and with the help of the fish guy at Petco I hope we've got a male. The new guy is on the left and has yet to be named. (Suggestions?) Bubbles is the female on the far right. She just moved into this 46 gal. home, out of her old 20 gal. tank about 3 weeks ago. The new fella moved in this afternoon. Both are Ryukins, but I think my female is a cross breed Ryukin/Fantail?

I'm afraid to overcrowd the tank but I'm thinking about getting a Black Moor one of these days. Are there any problems with Moors and Ryukins as far as compatibility? I'd like to put one more fish in there that has some sort of different color to make it a little unique. I've always heard that a Goldfish aquarium is exclusive to Goldfish, but Moors are a Goldfish breed aren't they? What about Plecos? I've tried 3 so far and each one has died - she ate one of them. Not sure if she killed it or ate it after it died.

Anyway, these are my babies and maybe I'll even end up with some fry down the road. I did save the old tank just in case...

You could definitely keep 3 goldfish in there, once the tank's cycle is up to speed for the 2 fish you already have. Definitely quarantine (QT) when you get it.

Yes, moors are another variety of goldfish. Telescope goldies can have a bit of trouble finding food, so you'll need to make sure he gets his fair share, either by feeding at different sides of the tank or by teaching the moor to hand-feed. I taught my late great red and white telescope to hand-feed, which was fun for me and also ensured he got enough. He shared a tank with several goldfish varieties with no problems.

My 3 ranchu live in a 46 gallon bow front. It's my favorite size tank! Congratulations on the upgrade. Looks great!

Beautiful! :) I really like your tank

I would personally stick with 2 fish in a 46 gallon (15-20 gallons per fish is the recommendation, 20 gallons per fish is best if this will be a 'forever' home. You can get away with 15 gallons per fish, but you may find yourself needing to upgrade as they grow larger). But, beyond my personal opinion :P you could technically add a 3rd fish. A moor would be just fine with those two (moors are a type of goldfish the same way ryukin, orandas, ranchu etc. are all goldfish). If you wanted to go with a pleco instead of a 3rd fish, rubbernose and bristlenose plecos are compatible with goldfish (common plecos are not). Plecos require a little extra work to make sure they get their fair share of food with greedy goldfish around.

EDIT: posted at the same time as Ranchudressing ;)

Cute little ones. I agree from a technical standpoint with Tithra that your current stocking is great, but I would personally not hesitate to add one more. It will mean a bit more maintenance and watching water quality. A nice contrasting color would be great in this tank. Just decide if the increase in maintenance is worth the aesthetics. I am known to overstock a tank though.

Thanks for the advice! RanchuDressing, mine is also a 46 bowfront. It's the "Marineland 46 Euro" and I love it. The LED blue "night" light is great, too. The bowed front sort of magnifies everything so the fish actually look a little bigger than they are, unless they're really close to the glass - that is one downside, I would have preferred acrylic. The stand that came with it is, err, well not what I would have chosen, but for the price as a kit I couldn't pass it up. If I get something bigger down the road I'll have to move stuff around to find a better spot for it.

I don't know about the 3rd fish. I think I'll give it a month or so and let the environment adapt to 2 fish before I start adding anything else. I will be adding more plants, though, and that right quick!

Just curious, though. You guys mentioned that common plecos are not a good idea with goldies, what happens? Do they just die from the water conditions Goldfish make or did my fish actually kill them all? I'm a bugger for monitoring my water and I never caught anything that would have killed them, or it would have killed my goldie as well. I keep my pH at 7.4, although I know the golds do like it a little bit higher. I cycled this new one using Danios before the permanent residents moved in. One of the dannies didn't make it near the end but the other one did and he is living in one of my friend's tank now who really wanted him.

Common plecos (along with other types larger aggressive plecos) are considered to be incompatible with goldfish because they have been known to suck the slime coat of goldfish when they are resting. This can cause injury and even death in some cases. Bristlenose and rubbernose tend to be smaller and less territorial/aggressive. There is still a chance that these types can also attack goldies, but this is not common and typically only happens when they are not getting enough food (which is why it is important to make sure they get their fair share).

I can't say why your plecos died :idont It's possible they were sick when you got them if water conditions were not a factor.

• Admin

Plecos are very sensitive to Ph change.. if the LFS ph is more or less than 1ppm to yours and you didnt acclimate it, eventually it will die :(

Great looking tank :thumbs:

i agree with koko, i dont know why but its become a habit of my to acclimate every fish i get even if it cold water, and if i do a complete clean i do it again because the water will surly be colder :3

Nice looking fish and tanks very smart :)