upgrading from 20gal to 56gal...filter?

I'm upgrading from a 10gal and a 20gal to a ~56gal (haven't purchased it just yet) and I'm not sure what kind of filter to get. I have 4 fancies (3 growing, good-sized ones and 1 little one that hasn't grown in the months that I've had it). I think I need a canister filter to handle the 560gph, right? Either way, suggestions on filters and brands?

It would be best to get two filters for the 56 gallon, which combined run at least 560 gallons per hour. This way you get filtration on both sides of the tank (to help pick up solid waste) and if one fails you have another still running.

I would highly recommend the aqua clear filters, they are very good quiet filters. Two aqua clear 70's would be perfect for the 56 gallon. You can find these filters much cheaper on amazon that in stores :)

Just noticed you said you need a canister. Are you looking for a canister over an HOB particularly?

If so, again I would go with two canisters over one. For canister filters you can get away with a little less gph. Aim for 6-8x at minimum. Eheim and Fluval are both good brands. Eheim tends to be a bit more expensive.

It would be best to get two filters for the 56 gallon, which combined run at least 560 gallons per hour. This way you get filtration on both sides of the tank (to help pick up solid waste) and if one fails you have another still running.

I would highly recommend the aqua clear filters, they are very good quiet filters. Two aqua clear 70's would be perfect for the 75 gallon. You can find these filters much cheaper on amazon that in stores :)

Ok! That's much more economical than the canisters. Could I set up those HOB with the white rings and filter floss instead of the carbon and everything like you're "supposed" to?

I would highly recommend the aqua clear filters, they are very good quiet filters. Two aqua clear 70's would be perfect for the 75 gallon. You can find these filters much cheaper on amazon that in stores :)

Ok! That's much more economical than the canisters. Could I set up those HOB with the white rings and filter floss instead of the carbon and everything like you're "supposed" to?

The AC's are awesome because they don't come with cartridges. They actually come with a sponge, ceramic rings, and a separate carbon pack. I just replace the carbon pack with extra ceramic media and some filter padding :)

Just noticed you said you need a canister. Are you looking for a canister over an HOB particularly?

If so, again I would go with two canisters over one. For canister filters you can get away with a little less gph. Aim for 6-8x at minimum. Eheim and Fluval are both good brands. Eheim tends to be a bit more expensive.

Well I would prefer to stick with HOBs if I could! I was under the impression that for some 50gal+ that I would need a canister (I didn't think I would need 2!). 2 Aqua Clear 70s on Amazon are only $80 total instead of the $300 I would need for cannisters soo....

The AC's are awesome because they don't come with cartridges. They actually come with a sponge, ceramic rings, and a separate carbon pack. I just replace the carbon pack with extra ceramic media and some filter padding :)

AHHHH our replies are all staggered lol. Ok, that's cool, so I would just use the stuff it came with except for the carbon? That seems pretty simple, actually.

Well I would prefer to stick with HOBs if I could! I was under the impression that for some 50gal+ that I would need a canister (I didn't think I would need 2!). 2 Aqua Clear 70s on Amazon are only $80 total instead of the $300 I would need for cannisters soo....

Gotcha. Yeah, I would definitely stick with the aqua clears then :)

AHHHH our replies are all staggered lol. Ok, that's cool, so I would just use the stuff it came with except for the carbon? That seems pretty simple, actually.

lol.... yes they are :P

Yep, just use the stuff it came with except the carbon, but hang onto the carbon in case you need it. I love these filters because they are so customizable and the media basket is huge so you can fit a lot of extra media in there beyond what it comes with. I like to use this stuff to fill some space http://tastyworms.com/aqua-pure-cut-to-fit-polyfiber-filter.html

These filters are also nice because the flow rate is adjustable. I actually use an AC70 on my QT tank, but just adjust the flow rate down a bit to reduce current (this obviously won't be an issue in the 56 gallon, but its a nice feature). You can also get intake tube extensions for these filter online for pretty cheap - not sure how deep your 56 gallon is, but it is an option if the intakes seem too short. I don't need an extension on my 40 breeder, but it is pretty shallow.

Canisters have two main things going for them:

They're powerful, clean a tank beautifully, and have tons of space to cram in media so your biological filtration is top-notch;

and

They're quiet. Like, you have to put your hand on them to know if they're running. I looooooooove that.

Slightly off-topic: do I need a heater?

Generally a heater is not a necessity but a preference. There are many here that do use a heater to stabilize temp in the high 60's to low 70's. I personally use a heater in the winter because my house temp fluctuates a lot and my tank gets down to the low 60's/high 50's without a heater, at this temp their was a noticeable difference in the activity of my fish, so I now use a heater to keep the tank at an even 72. If temp in your tank begins to drop below 60 you want to cut back feedings, because digestion begins to slow and feeding too much at lower temps can lead to constipation and other issues.

• Admin

My 50 gallon tank has a 110 and a 70 on it.. i am going to get a 50 so I can have the third filter as a plant filter.... :)

I think you should look for a larger tank for four goldfish, particularly since they are still growing. 56 gallons is only 14 gallons per fish. Ideally you should go for an 80 gallon tank. I wouldn't fuss if you had the tank and had the fish in it, but why get something that your fish will outgrow?

I think you should look for a larger tank for four goldfish, particularly since they are still growing. 56 gallons is only 14 gallons per fish. Ideally you should go for an 80 gallon tank. I wouldn't fuss if you had the tank and had the fish in it, but why get something that your fish will outgrow?

This is a very good point :) Your 4 fish will likely eventually outgrow the 56 gallons relatively quickly. If you can get a 75-80 gallon instead that would definitely be more ideal.

If I have to, I can get rid of my littlest fish...I only keep him cuz I feel sorry for him :bye2:

56gal is doable for 3 fish, right? 20gal for the first one and 18 gal for each of the other 2. It's really not possible for me to get anything bigger than that...