Needing imortant advice

wina22

Hello,

I just joined this forum and I am looking forward to getting good advice from everyone and sharing! Right now tho, I need some advice on something.

I have one shubunkin (not sure if that is spelled right) who is about 6 inches long from tip to tail. He is at least a year old.. he was an adult when I got him. His name is Mackrel (aka Mak)

He has been doing something very frustrating, and I don't know what to do.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank, by himself. He has a filter and bubbles. After a water change, he will do great for about a month, and then start acting strange - sitting on the bottom, not moving much...

Then, he starts to get gray. He is an orange/black calico color but he gets very ashy. It seems to me as if he is not getting enough oxygen. The last time, I got him a bubble thingy because the person at the petstore said that would increase the oxygen. I figured it was going to be ok, but today, he did it again.

The only way I can get him to come around is to take him out of the tank. Right now I have him in a one gallon rectangular bowl. The last time I was told that my water was fine. This time, I haven't had it checked yet because it just happened today.

He is stil not moving much - just kind of hanging out - but his color is improving.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be going on? I don't know what to do to help and I don't want my fish to die.

Ideas?

Edwina

I am not an expert at all ... a Mod will help you. However I can tell you that his tank is to small for him. Can you can jump on your local Craigs List and see about getting him a bigger tank? I think you need a min of 40 gals for a goldfish? (wait for someone more experienced before you buy to say yes 40gals is good)

I had my fish in too small a tank and lost some. :(

Hugs and good luck.

Here is a list of questions. If you could answer as many of them as you can, that's great. I'm also going to move this over to D&D

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

In addition to needing answers to all of the above, I can tell you right off the bat that you need to change Mak's water more often. You said he acts weird about a month after a water change. Change his water much more frequently, please. He's a great big fish in a small tank. :)

Hello! If you need to take your water to a fish store to be tested, please get them to give you specific numbers for each parameter. Things like 'good' and 'fine' are really subjective and tell us nothing about the water or what could be causing the problems. Don't leave without numbers! (; When you can, fill out the form DNAlex posted and it will be easier to help you (:

Hi and welcome to Kokos. As you can probably tell from the responses you've gotten, water chemistry is pretty important for fish health. Like Lovely says, take your water to be tested at a local store and get back to us. I think we are all thinking that the fish is acting poorly when the water becomes 'bad' after not being changed for awhile but we need some numbers to confirm this.

If you upload a picture - see the link with instructions in Dnalex's box - we can give you some advice about your tank set-up as well. :)

When a fish does poorly and improves when he gets fresh water, he is telling you very clearly that he needs his water changed more frequently. We recommend changing at least 50% of the water at least once a week.

Please take a sample of the old water in your tank and a sample of your tap water in for testing. I repeat, for emphasis, what Lovely Chaos said: get all the numbers we asked for in the list of questions. Don't accept "OK" or "fine" or anything else but numbers. We do want to know if your tap water and tank water are different to be sure that a large water change will not shock your fish.

When a fish does poorly and improves when he gets fresh water, he is telling you very clearly that he needs his water changed more frequently. We recommend changing at least 50% of the water at least once a week.

Please take a sample of the old water in your tank and a sample of your tap water in for testing. I repeat, for emphasis, what Lovely Chaos said: get all the numbers we asked for in the list of questions. Don't accept "OK" or "fine" or anything else but numbers. We do want to know if your tap water and tank water are different to be sure that a large water change will not shock your fish.

This last part is critical, and why I had not mentioned anything about water changes. It is clear that more frequent water changes are necessary here, but from the description of slime coat changes and the bottom sitting, it looks like there could be accompanying changes in the pH, so I wanted to make sure we have a comprehensive plan to offer before doing so. :)

Would bad water quality cause his color to change like that? I am not using tap water (ours is horrible). It is RO water from the petstore. Both times he has done this, I have totally changed all the water in the tank. I could do 50 percent changes once a week, but it is a bit difficult for me to get to the store to get it that often. Like I said, tap water is not an option. I have tried, and getting it right is terribly hard.

I will try and take a sample to get it tested in the next day or so.

I had no clue that it was going to be this complicated keeping him healthy. When I was a kid I always had goldfish, but kept them in a bowl with tap water, and I never had any issues. I had one fish that I had for many years that way.. but keeping Mak healthy is HARD.

I will answer the questions once I get the levels on everything.

He is OK for now, but obviously, he can't stay in there very long.

Thanks for the thoughts! I will check back in a few days.

Would bad water quality cause his color to change like that? I am not using tap water (ours is horrible). It is RO water from the petstore. Both times he has done this, I have totally changed all the water in the tank. I could do 50 percent changes once a week, but it is a bit difficult for me to get to the store to get it that often. Like I said, tap water is not an option. I have tried, and getting it right is terribly hard.

I will try and take a sample to get it tested in the next day or so.

I had no clue that it was going to be this complicated keeping him healthy. When I was a kid I always had goldfish, but kept them in a bowl with tap water, and I never had any issues. I had one fish that I had for many years that way.. but keeping Mak healthy is HARD.

I will answer the questions once I get the levels on everything.

He is OK for now, but obviously, he can't stay in there very long.

Thanks for the thoughts! I will check back in a few days.

Yes, what is wrong with tap? If you use a water conditioner like Amquel or Prime, the water should be fine for the fish. Get some of the tap water tested as well as the old tank water and let us know what the test says. Water that tastes bad to a human may be just fine for a fish :)

Generally speaking, RO water all by itself has a ph that is too low for goldfish. Have you been adding any minerals/buffer to the water? Also ph tends to drop over time in a tank that is not getting regular/weekly water changes. Getting those numbers will definitely help the mods figure out what you need.

It will actually help to have your tap water tested too. Sometimes what we think is bad tap water, just needs some slight adjustments to be good for goldfish and there are a number of experts here who can give you great advice on that also.

I know how you feel that it can get harder then we think it should to take care of one little fish. In the past I have had multiple water issues which are now solved. Once you get all the water issues figured out, it will get easier. :)