Bump and raised scale in localized area

Vdubbchic

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level (tank): 0

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0

* Nitrate level (Tank) 10 ppm

* Ammonia Level (Tap): 0

* Nitrite Level (Tap) 0

* Nitrate level (Tap) 0

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.0

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Ehiem 2217

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel plus and amquel water conditioner

* Water temperature? 71

* How often do you change the water and how much? 2 x a week 25- 30%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 25%

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon 1 year

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 2 at 2inches 2 at 3 inches

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro gold 1x a day and veggies

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Prazi

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) dropsy ( successfully treated) in qt

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes bump on one side of fish. Scales sticking out in that area only.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi treated 2 months ago. Dropsy treated in qt tank with epson salt and metro meds

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

This fish is acting normal. Noticed bump on his side and scales are sticking out in that area. I moved him to the qt tank. Not sure what to do now. Parasite? Beginning of anchor worm? I see nothing protruding from the area yet, just scales of fish. Here is a pic. He naturally has that orange tinge to him in the area of the raised scales.

d9fb7ad742497035d3bc8a6cb666189c_zps28fa6e94.jpg

1efa733b23e2962c6b91c0f0bc32ff06_zps973a9b7d.jpg

• Supporter

thank you for taking the time to answer the questions and provide pictures.

at the moment, i am trying to find if there is a bacterial cycst or a tumor forming. because of the gluggy matter coming from between the scales, it is in my experience that what may be forming is a tumor.

would you be able to put the fish in a tub and take an overhead shot of it? i would like to see both sides at the same time as well as if there are any scales lifting and how much they have lifted.

is there any chance that this may have resulted from an injury? ie, a healing wound?

Thank you for answering me! I don't believe it is from an injury, he was fine all day and when I came home I noticed this. It's hard to tell from the pics, but his scales are standing out, only in that area though.

db1786978aade89709210326140c9f70_zps8a304527.jpg

5b79f5d7afe36103bc752a71a85e5c58_zps12215f4b.jpg

I currently have metro meds, medi gold, and prazi, epson salt, aquarium salt on hand if needed for emergencies.

• Supporter

here is what i propose.

since i do not see any swelling to be concerned about, i am going to advise, that you go ahead and treat with MetroMeds. it looks like it can be a bacterial problem, however, i am not ruling out a forming tumor.

thing is, we cannot treat external tumors, we can only cut them off. however, we can treat bacteria related issues. as it could be either, we may as well treat. so, begin as soon as possible, for the next 14 days, this fish will be eating 1% of it's bodyweight daily of MetroMeds.

we now have an overhead shot to compare to in case of swelling. if that bodyshape at anytime does not resemble the bodyshape in the pic you just posted, i would like you to consider Epsom salts, but not before you check with us here first by providing new photos.

good luck :)

Okay thank you! So no aquarium salt needs to be added at this time either? Just metro meds. :) I will update with any changes better or worse.

Oh and what about his tank mates. Do they need to be treated also? Doesn't that effect the whole tank? All the others seem healthy right now.

Edited by Vdubbchic

I treated with prazi pro. Treatment ended about two months ago.

Should I do it again? Or wait till this clears up and he is back in the main tank and treat them all at once.

I can't treat the infected fish in the qt because I I have to daily water changes in there.

Hi guys thought you would like an update. He is doing much better! Feeding him his meds! I'm going to put him back in the tank at end of treatment and dose with prazi again. Not exactly sure what it was, but a lot of the redness is gone and now is isolated to one scale. A part of the scale looks like its pointed out, not sure if it will fall off. Ill keep on eye on it and see if I can get a better pic of his side tommorow. :)

The only newer thing I noticed was that white spot on the top of his fin. Not sure what that is?

9e1973d74cedb0af1b62ceb1aaefb0dc_zpsd771c25b.jpg

Edited by Vdubbchic

• Supporter

that's awesome! i am not sure what that white spot could be, but please do keep an eye on it. could be a side effect of all the treatment and a little bit of stress. however, prazi and metro meds can cure most things, adding salt to the water normally treats fins and slimecoat. so all the things we would normally advise, you are currently doing..

having said that, i am a little confused if you do or don't have salt in the tank. if not, please go ahead and add aquarium salt (pre dissolved) to 0.1% carry that through to the end of meds treatment.

the dose is 1 level teaspoon for every gallon :)

Oh yes I have been dosing salt at that amount! I heat the water to dissolve it, but its very hard to make it all dissolve. Any advice on how to do make it all dissolve?

The white spot has disappeared after my water change. I was later in the day than usual with it. I'm hoping he heals nicely.

Ill keep you guys updated. I can still see something there, but it has decreased greatly, I'm glad you made me take pics from that view, because I have something to compare it to now. :)

Thank you!

Oh yes I have been dosing salt at that amount! I heat the water to dissolve it, but its very hard to make it all dissolve. Any advice on how to do make it all dissolve?

The white spot has disappeared after my water change. I was later in the day than usual with it. I'm hoping he heals nicely.

Ill keep you guys updated. I can still see something there, but it has decreased greatly, I'm glad you made me take pics from that view, because I have something to compare it to now. :)

Thank you!

If you don't use enough water the salt can be difficult to dissolve so make sure you are using a decent amount of water. You can also place it in a pot over the stove to help it dissolve - just make sure to cool it to tank temp before adding it to the tank.

The other thing you can try if you like is just placing the salt in a pantyhose and place that in the tank which will allow it to dissolve over time - I have never tried this method myself but Alex has recommended this before and it has worked for others :)

Glad to see your fish is doing better!