Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

I know she's a ryukin, but....

Hey guys! I posted in the welcome board the other day with a picture of my 3 fishies.

I was told by PetSmart (only got one there...other two came from a local pet store) that Speckle (pictured below) was a calico ryukin. She's definitely calico, but her tail is a lot longer than any of the ryukins I've seen so far....she is starting to get the "hump" but hers isn't nearly as pronounced as Pickle's.

So....what is she? Besides a mystery :rofl2

iQGV1fiD10V33.jpg

She looks like a ryukin to me. Very pretty! :Congrats:

So she's just a normal ryukin...with a super long tail?

Thanks!

Ryukin can have long tails (: both of mine do.

She's a very nice looking ryukin. Congratulations! :heart

My Murray, also a calico ryukin, has a pretty long tail Not all of them are short tailed. She's very pretty. :heart

She's beautiful!! Love the long tail. :D It'll be fun to watch her grow. :heart

Oh, ok, for some reason I just thought they all had short tails. Can't wait to watch her grow!

Thank you for the help everyone, I love it here :)

Short tail ryukins help give the fish a more pronounced diamond shape. Most short tails on goldfish are so that the tail doesn't overshadow the initial breed characteristic that they want to be the main exhibit of the fish.

There are broadtail ryukins that are entered into shows. Short tail seems to be most popular right now but popularity changes, that's why we have so many different breeds :D

gimme.. :D

Short tail ryukins help give the fish a more pronounced diamond shape. Most short tails on goldfish are so that the tail doesn't overshadow the initial breed characteristic that they want to be the main exhibit of the fish.

There are broadtail ryukins that are entered into shows. Short tail seems to be most popular right now but popularity changes, that's why we have so many different breeds :D

Wow! I learned something new today :) Makes sense, though. I guess I just never thought about all the possible varieties - and what the tail does to enhance the body shape.

she's beautiful!!

its a Veil-Tail Ryukin.... i started off with these long tail beauties too :pp

its a Veil-Tail Ryukin.... i started off with these long tail beauties too

I'm sorry. This is incorrect. Veiltails do not have forks in their fins, as this one does.

This is a type of fantail.

As long as its healthy..

It doesnt matter which exact breed it is...

Let it grow!

Speckles is definitely a long-tailed ryukin, and a lovely one at that!

Since she's primarily black & orange, with little to no blue and just a bit of white, she might fall into the "tiger" subcategory of calico (and calico, she most definitely is!)

Given the shape of her tail, the "ribbontail" designation might be appropriate, though I've heard some say that ribbontails should be as long or longer than the fish itself.

Calico ryukins, for whatever reason, tend not to develop as large of a hump as metallic ryuikin, but with a shape and finnage like specks', I do suspect that she'll develop at least some - along with long, sweeping ventrals and a tall elegant dorsal fin.

Gonna be fun to watch her grow!

~Bruce

She looks like a ryukin to me. Very pretty! :Congrats:

:bingo:

Thanks everyone! I have noticed that she isn't developing as much of a hump as her friend Pickle, the short-tailed ryukin, is. She's still doing great, though and I'll be sure to post growth updates of her for all of you to see :)