Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Take a picture. It'll last longer.

:rofl I spent about 2 hours yesterday ridding my tank of diatoms so I took couple of pics. I have some taller plants on order for the back of the tank and some floating plants that will *hopefully* help with the diatoms. I took a few pics cuz I'm sure the diatoms will be back . . .

This one is kinda blurry (still working on clear pics not using a flash . . .) but it's a full tank shot.

DSC_3947_zps731a2ce4.jpg

Fluffy :heart

DSC_3949_zps5b76e363.jpg

Bob giving me the "Where's the food" look

DSC_3971_zps4bd7c0ba.jpg

Part of the clean up crew

DSC_3987_zps406ae692.jpg

:D

Your tank looks beautiful!!! :heart can't wait to see it after you add more plants

Thank you both. :D

Yep, that nerite is my eater. He was in the betta tank for a couple weeks and my GF tank got crazy dirty! The other 3 nerites hardly eat anything I guess. :idont His name is Chubs. :rofl

Good clean pics , maybe you could get one of those magnetic cleaners they work good for me !

I love your nerite :heart

Does the nerite help with the diatoms? I know one snail can't handle a whole tank full, but does he make a dent?

Very nice. Good thing I got my new little guy or I would have to come after Fluffy.

I have to second the recommendation of a magnetic cleaner, one of the best things I have purchased for tank maintenance. Get the type that floats.

Want to come and do my tank :teehee

I need to hire you. How much? :P

Thank you for sharing, Mrs. Lisa. :D

I got dibs first :wa:teehee

Your Tank looks Fantastic :) Those snails are great!!!

I love the pic of Bob where's the food shot :)

I have the floating algae scraper thing and I always forget about it a good wipe down with my fish only sponge during w/c and I'm good to go ;)

I leave the back wall for the snails :)

Your nerite is beautiful! So is your tank and fish :) I love how simple and pretty it is.

What do you think caused your diatom issues?

It's not the walls that took me soooooo long but I actually scrubbed each and every leaf (seriously) of all the plants! :o I took every rock out that wasn't attached to a plant and boiled it. :rofl Take THAT diatoms! :rofl And I added the airstone . . . Oh and some filter maintenance. The walls, back and sides don't get too covered with diatoms as long as Chubs is in there. :teehee I occasionally wipe them with a soft cotton cloth to remove the snail tracks. :rofl I have 4 nerites total in there. :D

Becs, I won't tell the other fish. :teehee S/he's my fave too. She's mine, the other 2 are my kids. My son usually picks a red and white but he was too broken up after the death of his last fish to get another one that looked too similar. Alyssa always picks orange fantails . . . and her fish always live the longest. :o

Niki--I'm not sure what caused the diatom problem. I'm trying to figure it out. I have a thread going in the plants section and am working on some of those suggestion (added the airstone and ordered some fast growing floating plants). I'm going to look into my city water's silicates levels also. :idont

Thanks everyone! :D

It's so clean

For now - your dearest friend diatom :lol

:madrant:tantrum:madrant

:rofl I know! That's why I said "Take a picture. It'll last longer." :tomuch:

It's interesting because when I run my double bright, I don't see a single diatom, apart from the filter outputs. When I run my plant light, which is now, because I have plants, I see diatoms only along the tank floor, where substrate meets glass (and the filter output).

I noticed some green algae last week (green spot), on the glass just above the substrate. I wonder if I'm graduating!! :D

I was starting to get some green algae on my large river rocks. A couple of them still look green but I'm sure the boiling killed it and it will die off . . . :(

I was so excited about having a different color to look at, I almost felt bad scraping it off. Lol!

Beautiful! I love the look of the tank, and of course, your beautiful fish, Lisa!

I am also glad to see you posting pictorial updates! :D

:rofl The look on Bob's face was so funny! Boy is he giving you the hairy eyeball! :rofl Your tank looks great..... for now :D

I am so happy there is another leaf scrubber and rock boiler around ;)

I like it Lisa, it looks very bright and happy!