New Tank! A few Qs; Almost done - pics to follow tomorrow! :D

Hey everyone!

The day is finally here for Nemo's big move to a bigger tank! Yay! It took me some time finding the stand for my new 20 gal upgrade (he was sitting sad in a 10 gal). I sanded and painted it and everything to give it a facelift. It's a granite top! I finally was able to buy everything I needed for the upgrade (filter floss & biomax rings, 15lb bag of crushed coral, new Hikari food, etc - ) all I need is a better bubbler wand.

On the advice of dnalex I got the crushed coral to raise my pH and hardness of my tap water... because MAN is it soft!

My last readings from the tap for this, a while ago, were:

40ppm KH

6.8 pH

But the pH of the tank regularly bottoms out at 6.0, and I've been using baking soda as a buffer in the mean time. So! My question is this - for this 20 gal tank and those readings, how much crushed coral should I add? Should I continue to add a small bit of baking soda as a buffer until the coral reaches the optimal pH? How long would it take for it to do this? And about how long would the coral last - after how long should I add more/replace it? Thanks!

**I had a thought, and you can see this in the pic - I have a small shallow glass dish, can I put the coral in this? for ease of removal and cleaning. There is no room in the filter at all, and I hated the idea of putting it in a stocking (ugly!) or mixing it in the substrate (also ugly - and hard to replace!) I figured I could sit a fake plant in there too, for aesthetics.

IMG_1351.jpg

I plan on also getting an anubias or two to provide some better water conditions as well. Those will come a little later (*cough*paycheck*cough*) but I plan on doing the setup/transfer tomorrow! SO EXCITED!! Pics to follow!

I agree, you could put it in a dish and use it as a cover for any plant substrate if you choose to use l ive plants and fertilizer products like flourish :)

You could get a breeder box and put it in there as well. It's not as ugly as a stock and you could cover that area with a tall plant.

My method with crushed coral is 1/2 cup per 20 gallons.

I too tried to do it in a dish and that didn't last long lol

Good luck! And I am sure he will love his new home ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535

It's looking great! Nemo is so pretty and I am sure he's loving his new home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2