Sign in to follow this  
BryCola

I'm still having food problems...

My Ryukin is apparently very sensitive to different foods, and he can get pretty floaty. I've stopped giving him Pro Gold, because that had the worst float affect. I read that Repashy Soilent Green can help with the floaty thing, so I bought some and started feeding it to my fish last week. But about 30 minutes after eating the Repashy, he gets very floaty again. The only thing I've found that doesn't have much affect on him is Omega One (as long as I don't feed him much), and green peas. Could it be the protein in the Soilent Green that makes him floaty? I could try the Super Green if it's the protein doing it. It's just this one fish I'm having trouble with...my Oranda and Black Moor don't show any floating symptoms at all, so I guess I just have a senstive Ryukin.

My ryukin is also very sensitive to foods and floats as well. Lately I have been feeding him Jump Start as that seems to be the only thing that he likes. He still gets floaty, but not as much as on Soilent Green. He won't eat veggies unless he is starving.

Our redcap stays at the top of the tank if we feed him too much Soilent Green. We alternate with veggies and pro gold. It can be pretty dramatic - big feed with SG and then total lethargy. Would love to try Super Green sometime.

Do you have a D&D thread for this? It might be a good idea to make one if you don't. ;)

All I can suggest is the very treatment I use with my floating ryu, Hoover: Kale once a week, and only kale for that entire day. I've found it to work better than peas (which are prone to causing gas!), spinach, and even green beans. Kale's a really good laxative for him, and you can tell when the boy has had it!

Have any of you tried the spirulina flakes at goldfishconnection? I just ordered some to try on one of my bouancy issue fish.

One of my three fish is also very floaty. He did well when I first started soilent green but now that too makes him floaty. :( I have some super green that I need to make. I sure hope that helps . . .

How old is your floaty fish? Chris, our sponsor from tastyworms, has suggested that super green is a better choice for older fish (2ish and up I believe).

I think the take home messages in all of these food and floatiness threads is that there isn't one perfect solution for everyone. Sometimes the Repashy foods seem to be the answer, and sometimes most definitely not. As you can see from the experience of all who have shared up above, the key is to try different things, and see what works for you. :)

'How old is your floaty fish? Chris, our sponsor from tastyworms, has suggested that super green is a better choice for older fish (2ish and up I believe).'

He's pretty young...less than 1 year old I believe. I've only had him for about 4 months, and I think he was fairly young when I got him. I might try the kale thing and see if that works. I'm disappointed the SG has the same floaty affect as the Pro Gold.

I was disappointed in the Pro-Gold too because it caused floatiness in my fish. I've switched them back to Omega One, and they are better.

I guess I wonder -- if you have a food that works, why is that a problem? Omega One is considered a good food.

I was disappointed in the Pro-Gold too because it caused floatiness in my fish. I've switched them back to Omega One, and they are better.

I guess I wonder -- if you have a food that works, why is that a problem? Omega One is considered a good food.

Well, I've read so many threads on here that say you should feed your fish a variety of foods. And Omega One is the only dry food I've found that doesn't do the floaty thing. I guess I could just stick with that and peas, but wanted to give them a varied diet.

Well, I've read so many threads on here that say you should feed your fish a variety of foods. And Omega One is the only dry food I've found that doesn't do the floaty thing. I guess I could just stick with that and peas, but wanted to give them a varied diet.

I don't know why people insist on saying that. A complete diet is a complete diet, and if you are able to have happy healthy goldfish with one staple and the occasional treat, then just keep it at that. Variety isn't the key here. Delivering the right nutrition is.

I'm sorry you had to run around because of this.

Do blood worms cause bouyancy issues?

I've never had this problem before personally, but I have heard from other people that they do. I don't understand how that can happen, but apparently it has happened. In this case, you might want to reduce the amount and frequency, and not necessarily avoid it altogether.

For now, my basic premise is that anything can cause floatiness. If you find something does so, just reduce or avoid it.

They do in one of my fish but not the other two. He is the one out of the three who tends to get floaty on pellet food too.

I think Alex said it right, anything can cause floatiness in a fish, its just finding whats right for your different fish.

My spirulina flakes from goldfishconnection arrived today :) My goldfish LOVE it, I can't really report on if it helps with floatiness yet.