Sign in to follow this  
michaels133

new 87galllon tank

I am buying a 330 litre tank (87US gal)

I want to have goldfish, rosy barbs and a rubbernose pleco, would this be possibe?

I know that goldfish and rosy barbs can go together and goldfish and rubbernose pleco can go together but would the 3 species be okay in one tank? I will be having a planted aquarium....

I will also be having 3 guppies in my 20 litre tank and will feed the fry to the goldfish occasionally, would the barbs be able to feed on the fry too? If i cannot have a pleco with the two other species or cannot find a rubbernose pleco i will just have the barbs and goldfish...

What numbers of each fish do you suggest?

Aren't rosy barbs tropical? I know that sometimes people keep minnows in their goldfish tank.

They are small and the goldfish may eat them.

That's really interesting. I just read a couple of different sites on rosy barbs. Clearly, they tolerate a wide range of water temps. The wiki range has to be a wikifact though, I would think??? Surely the natural water temp in their native India rises above 22C? That is the freshwater temp in lakes here in Norway during the summer.

Goldfish should be kept only with other goldfish, large snails, or rubbernose/bristlenose Plecos. Barbs are known fin-nippers and yes, if the goldfish's mouth is bigger than the barbs are the goldfish will eat the barbs.

I do see too many errors in that to consider it a credible source.

1. Dojo Loaches are aggressive and take a liking to slimecoat, so aren't compatible with goldfish.
  2. Danios are fin nippers and will likely be eaten when the goldfish outgrows them.
  3. I have already said my bit about the barbs

Again, I am going to reiterate that the accepted advice here is that goldfish should only ever be kept with large snails, other goldfish, or bristlenose/rubbernose Plecos.

(I do also wonder about barbs eating fry of any fish ;) )

Edited by ChelseaM

Okay thanks for that, how about goldfish a pond snail/ ramshorn snail and a Rnp/Bnp...would the 3 work? And how many of each?

I have a bnp and some bumblebee nerite snails with my fancies and haven't had any problems. There are plenty of hiding spots for Boris (my pleco) and wood as well as algae. As long as plecos have plenty of everything they need they are compatible enough with goldies.

I see that being perfectly fine. If you want your rn/bnps to get big only go for one of those (75l/20g per pleco). That leaves you with around 67g for your goldfish. At 15-20g (56-75l) for each fancy or 20+g for every common/comet, three fancies or 2 c/c's would be just fine and leave you with a couple of leftover gallons for three to five nerites. I'd try not to go with pond or ramshorn snails unless you are planning on really cleaning your filters very often. They breed like rabbits and you'll find them all over, and won't be able to remove them all if you have to medicate, resulting in dead snails and poor water quality due to that.

So:

75l for 1rnp or 1bnp

227l for 3 Fancy Goldies or 2 Common/comets

28l for 3-5 Nerite Snails

If I have made any mistakes I welcome correction from a mod. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

I have worked it out as 330-(56.7 x 4)-75 = 28.2L

(56.7L being 15Us Gal) so 28,2 liters for the snails...yes?