Advice about buying huge used tank and moving it 900 miles ?

I am a newbie .... I have a 120 gal tank with 16 goldies. I really love them all and don't want to re-home.

BUT I live in Idaho ... not much comes up on the CL up here.

My parents are about to move from LA, CA up here. My parents and my husband think that buying another large tank down there and moving it up here is a bad idea. Especially since it would be used. if it cracks in the move ... we are just out the cash (which is thin .....)

anyone moved large tanks? will it be worth the effort?

I am trying to look at all my options. I need to save up and do good for my goldies.

How much would a brand new 120 gal tank be ... where would you buy such a thing .....?

If the people doing it don't have experience moving it, it's a very bad idea.

During my 1000 mile move, our van was packed full. My 55 was put in the back, covered with blankets, and it had some boxes in it. Upon removing it, I found a HUGE crack going across one panel. My 11 fish were stuck in a 30 gallon bucket for a month. Not good at all /:

Basically, I'd recommend not doing it, unless the people know how to look for faults in the tank, and know how to get it packed and moved safely, it's just not worth the risk.

Have you considered using sterilite tubs to house the fish until you can get them another suitable tank? You might see some sales or more listings on CL In your area.

Oh, and where to find them, do you have any pet stores near you?

Edited by LovelyChaos

You might consider an acrylic tank which would be more durable and lighter. I've seen some used 112-125 gallon TruVu tanks for around $300 with hood and stand, but they had some scratches.

have you looked into a large stock tank to make a "pond" for them? You can buy them at farming supply stores, and they are a fraction of the cost of a large tank. I can get a 500 gallon one, in my area, for $239- a 300 gallon one for under $200. Pair that with one of Shakaho's bog filters, and you have a very large set up, for a very economical price. They can be made to look pretty nice in basements, if decorated nicely. They can be set up outdoors, in the warmer months, as well.

Stock tanks=

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/331355-agrimaster-poly-tuf-structural-foam-stock-tank.html#.UTf5_dazeSo

Shakho's bog filters=

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107385-container-bog-filter/

I would go for the pond idea. You could find cheap containers and build your own filter for cheap as well. You could buy a tub for the cost in gas alone. That way, you also have the opportunity to move it outside if you wanted.

OK - good ideas. I will have to look into them.

We have a petsmart and petco - but they are always so expensive.

while waiting for a reply here I looked at the LA CL ... found a 240 gal acrylic (with nothing - a few scratches but they say its sound) for $300 .... boy would that be a dream tank for my fishies........ but 900 mile move on a tank I haven't inspected ......

don't know if I can do that.