Fungus Or Breeding Spots?

Guest OrandaSparkles

Guest OrandaSparkles

I recently bought a chocolate oranda that the pet store just got in i looked in the tank and all the fancy goldfish had this white fluffy stuff on there fins and wens i bought him anyway i fell in love :wub: so i bought him and have been treating him with rid ich for the past two days its says treats ich and also other external protozoan,dinoflagellate and fungal disease in fish so i have been doing research and it does sound like a fungus but im not sure if those are breeding spots they are on his wen and his fins but mostly on the wen i am treating him in a 10 gallon tank and cycling my new 20 gallon for him when he gets better no other fish are in with him and my water amonia.25~nitrites0~ph7.2high ph7.4 so anyway when i bought him i tested pet smarts water hee hee that was in his bag they were amonia1.0~high range ph7.8~nitrite0~ph6.0 so you think this is a good treatment for him?

When young orandas are growing the wen will have sheds, like

a snake does with old skin. Some parts may get caught in the

folds of the wen. Most of the time, these disapear after a few

days. If your impatient, you could take a Qtip and gently rub

the spot to see if that helps.

Breeding stars/tuburcules are located on the gill plate and front

edge of the pectoral fins.

On the meds, if the white stuff turns out to be wen growth and

breeding stars, I'd stop using the meds.

Here's a pic of breeding stars.

post-10-1079740922.jpg

Guest OrandaSparkles

Thank you for the quick reply i was hoping to get your e-mail addy mabe to e-mail you the pic of him i dont know how old he is but he is big with a big wen i have to treat him again at 9:30 but i dont want to med anymore then i have to thanks again well i just tried the q tip thing and a little peice came of but i think its ichy he kinda rubs on things and he liked the q tip rubbing on his wen :(

Here's my email to send a pic to: paul_myers94@charter.net I'm

going to be away from my main puter for most of the weekend

though. Make sure to include your username so I know it's

your pic. ;)

I noticed your ammonia was a tad high. Have you been doing

water changes to deal with that? It possible the Qtip felt good

or actually tickled! Hard telling.

Here is OrandaSparkles oranda.(see pic, cropped down)

Most of the white looks like skin shed from wen growth. The

spots on the side *may* be a fungus, but I'm open for

argument.

At any rate HE is a nice looking oranda. :)

post-10-1079751491.jpg

No worries, keep us posted on what happens with the

white spots though. B)

Guest OrandaSparkles

well he has got more of those white things on his wen and thats the only place they are appearing and tonight would be the 4th night of meds they dont seem to help but mabe its becuase the carbon is still in the filter :blink::rofl i am wondering if i should just use aquarium salt.

Removing the carbon would be good, since it absorbs meds.

If your tank is fully cycled, you can do without the carbon

anyways. I don't have any in mine, except for the new filter

pads. Those will loose their carbon in a couple weeks though.

I have some pads going on 6 months of use.

I'm leery of adding anything to the tank unless I know what

the problem is. How about holding off on treatment for a

day or two and see if anything clears up or develops more?

Guest OrandaSparkles

well i recently moved him into his new tank with undergravel filter and a whisper 20 filterwhich is new i put some cycle in the tank with aqua safe and let it run for two days with no fish added him and amonia is still zero i have to keep adding his cycle every two weeks but there are more spots on his wen almost covering every groove in it and this morning there was like this egg white thing hovering over the wen it was attached and them came off quick which i think might be slime coating??i took some recent pics of him with the developing white stuff i just dont know :wall lol

Guest OrandaSparkles

ok i think it was a fungus after all i took out the carbon filters and added 2 tablets as required for tank size of fungus clear by jungle"tank buddies" and its been in for an hour and a half and that crud is slowly deteriorating from his wen thank you so much for your advice and time i will keep an update on thor ;)

Guest OrandaSparkles

ok as i said in a previous post about how the spots are slowly comming off, it seems as it looks like stringy mucus like its working its way out from the creases of his wen what somtimes comes out of his gills "slime coating" but when not treated it stays impacted so this is another reason i think it may be a fungus.could it be impacted slime coating? but when i dont treat it spreads all over his wen like wild fire hmmm thought i would bring this up for discussion as well :)

am i confusing in my posts? i feel like i babble :rofl hrmm i dont know im tired and have a sick fish

Guest tooterfish

hi hi

well i got a little confused, **but that easy for me**

did you say that it was coming out of his gills?

or is it more like... coming and hanging off his wen, and is being blown about by his gills?

thanks -Toot

Guest OrandaSparkles

sorry for the confusion but the other day there was this slime stuff like egg white came out of his gills and on the wen its disolving and swaying like the stuff that came of his gills i dont know if this is stress spots i got him 4 days ago the pet store just got him said he was travling two days to get there she said thats why the spots were on the wen but i medicated him last night with fungus clear but there still appearing on the other side of his face :(

It sounds like the meds are doing something. Has it spread

anywhere else other than the head area? I would continue

with the treatment for as long as it says to. Then see what

happens. If it comes back, you may want to try salt in the

tank.

Guest OrandaSparkles

its spreading allover his head "i cant tell if its new growth tissue but no its only on his wen im wondering if the wen is growing, i just tried cleaning his wen when he was in the net and one of the spots in the back of his wen is like the other spots but has a red dot almost like blood in it? poor little guy what it is this now? :blink: this spot developed last night.i would send a pic but it comes out so blury and my water is green from the meds. :thud

p.s i would like to thank you for replying to my posts and guiding me through this :)

If you get a good pic feel free to send. I'm more than happy

to look at it. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a bigger

problem with the wen now. Has any part of the wen bubbly

stuff popped? possibly looking like floppy rubber glove fingers?

ps: your welcome. :) I've had people help me in the past, and

now am helping other people. Maybe you can get to that

point too!

Guest OrandaSparkles

yeah kind of the first time when i used the q tip it was a bubble then it was like it popped and now its a clear round disc with a hole in the center is this hole in the head disease? :o:(

I'm leaning towards the hole in head/bacterial wen infection.

For that, you'll need to order some medicated food from

www.goldfishconnection.com It's a product called Metro-med.

I believe they ship to Canada, but you may want to check

first. Any chance for another pic before you get something

different to treat with? Just wanna make sure it's what

you'll need.

Guest tooterfish

the "coming out of his gills" is bothering me.

consider looking at the symptoms of Columnaris or "body fungus"

or the symptoms of True Fungus

I'm reading from the "Freshwater Fish Disease Chart" that came with my mardel product.

Fish appears flashing, darting, rapid swimming, spots on body, white stringy material on fish. --> greyish-white stringy material covering most or all of the body; white or grey patches. --> Fish has Columnaris "Body Fungus" --> This is not a true fungus but a bacterial infection known as Columnaris or "Body Fungus." Treat with Maracyn

-OR-

Fish appears flashing, darting, rapid swimming, spots on body, white stringy material on fish. --> Whitish tuffs of cotton-like material found on the fin, tail and body at sites of injury. --> Fish has true body, mouth and eye fungus. --> Fungus infection - Treat with MarOxy. Use Maracyn II... to prevent secondary infections from bacteria.

i dont have a fish with a wen, but have read that these can shed. Its the other symptoms (i.e. stringy,... coming from the gills,... red underneath etc) that are causing me concern.

there are other products that treat these illnesses, i just happen to have used Mardel products recently and had their chart.

I hope you can figure what is wrong, he really is a cute fish. -Tooter

Guest OrandaSparkles

to pm omygosh i sent you two pictures last night :o well someone got them :blink::rofl if you want i will send them again tooterfish i have read the charts on madel and maroxy also but i dont think this is what it is its very strange i have every flippin medicine in the world LOL mardel, maroxy, fungus clear ,parasite clear ,aquarium salts now can i get this medication through pet stores becuase my husband will freak if i spend anymore money on fish stuff i have already spent well over 200.00 dollars on my first sick oranda :(

Funny, no new emails have come through. Try resending them

again: paul_myers94@charter.net B)

Archived