Sign in to follow this  
KingKong

Any good goldfish shops in the Bay Area.

For those poeple who live in Northern CA, do you have any suggestions on where to get quality goldfish?

My current favorite place is a LFS called Aquarium Concepts in Dublin and they once in a while sell very good quality goldfish.

They once even sold some Tosakins - I was still a begginer fish keeper and I didn't even know the difference of goldfish... :thud

Dang it I know one its on the tip of my tongue I think it was aquariums central or something like that its on broadway its supposed to be amazing

Found it its called pet central on 1411 Powell street they have large tanks for thier koi and a big variety of goldfish

Edited by Gustave

Never mind this is the new location and its supposed to be not as good as it once was :(

^

Yep, its not as good as it used to be. I likes Aqua Workz in Sacramento but you need to prazi and salt in quarantine because the fish I got had gill flukes, that could be from the supplier but now all those fish in the tank are infected. Otherwise their fish are gorgeous. I personally am starting to really want fish from online. If you could potentially have this fish for more than 10 years why not go big and get something awesome. Check out Dandy Orandas fish auctions on friday night, or you can look at past fish sold.

Has anybody tried buygoldfishonline.com? They are based in Fremont and say they can overnight fish using UPS Ground service to the "greater Bay Area". However they don't allow walk-ins or local pickup.

I haven't tried them I was looking at their ebay page today though.

Never mind this is the new location and its supposed to be not as good as it once was :(

I've gone there a few times a few months back for Hikari and yes, the new shop they moved on Powell street is very small...

When I went there in 2011 they had large goldfish tanks with crown pearlscales and ranchu's as large as your palm - with perfect curve...

The next year they started having large blue tubs of koi...

Everytime I go there there's always this worker who always stares at me as if I was going to steal something...and while your taking time browsing their fish it's very annoying. :peeka

I'm so bummed! I used to practically live at that store when I was an SF resident. The variety of goldfish they had was just phenomenal. What a loss to the hobby...

I've gone there a few times a few months back for Hikari and yes, the new shop they moved on Powell street is very small...

When I went there in 2011 they had large goldfish tanks with crown pearlscales and ranchu's as large as your palm - with perfect curve...

The next year they started having large blue tubs of koi...

Everytime I go there there's always this worker who always stares at me as if I was going to steal something...and while your taking time browsing their fish it's very annoying. :peeka

I had the same experience. My bf and I went here for our anniversary last year. He just scowls at you and follows you isle to isle. I couldn't even enjoy looking around.

Has anybody tried buygoldfishonline.com? They are based in Fremont and say they can overnight fish using UPS Ground service to the "greater Bay Area". However they don't allow walk-ins or local pickup.

I have a couple of ryukins from their ebay store. One thing to note is that their ebay store shows more views of the specific fish compared to their website but on both you have the option to pick a specific fish. Overall, I was pleased with my two fish as they were very healthy and would buy from them again -- granted, I live in San Jose so although they ship UPS ground the fish arrived the very next morning. They put methylene blue in the water so it took about 24 hrs for that to clear out of my goldies nostrils. One thing to be aware of is that if you are super picky about your goldfish they do not list small flaws like "single anal fin" so if the picture does not clearly show two anal fins you might want to ask because it might only have one, which is the case with one of my fish.

Thanks for the information on buygoldfishonline, Fishlet! I might try them. I've also heard some good reviews of Ultimate Aquarium, in San Mateo, but I haven't checked them out yet.

I've heard of Ultimate Aquarium and intend to check them out someday but haven't made it there yet. If you go, let me know how it is!