Hot tub as a pond?

The first thing you need to do is determine the size of this thing. How many gallons of water does it hold? You should be able to get this information from the manufacturer if the previous owner doesn't know. You need to know that to determine the size of filter and pump you need.

Next, you need some measurements. How tall is it? That's easy.

If you are going to line it, you need to determine the maximum length and width of the liner. To do this, you take some cord. You find the width line that goes through the deepest spot. Tape one edge of the cord to one edge of the tub, and run the cord down along the surface of the tub to the other side. Since this thing is bumpy, you will need to tape the cord in place at several spots to get an actual measurement. Mark the cord at the opposite edge of the tub, pull the cord off, stretch it out and measure it from the start to the mark. Write this down, add 2 feet, and label that liner width. Then follow the same procedure to get the liner length.

If you don't want to line the tub, find out how the owners handled all of the plumbing outlets. There are basically two ways to handle this. One is to plug all of the outlets. If this was the approach, you need to make sure it doesn't leak. The other way would be to make all or some of them functional. I don't know if or how this might work, since I know nothing about the plumbing of a hot tub.

The first thing I would do upon bringing this home would be to refinish the surround. If it doesn't have rotten wood, the easiest way to do this is to clean it well, remove all flaking finish, prime all surfaces, then paint it with a high-quality semigloss exterior paint. If there is rotten wood, you need to have someone who knows about working with wood look at it and determine if it can be repaired or should be replaced.

Meanwhile, you need to read up on filters. You will need a container that has ~ 1/10 the volume of your pond (larger is fine). I can recommend containers after I know the pond volume.

Here are some threads to read:

http://www.kokosgold...ner-bog-filter/

http://www.kokosgold...e-instant-pond/

http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1

http://www.kokosgold...container-pond/

It will sound confusing at first but it is actually pretty easy to do.

Nice info shakaho :) now I just need to get me a hot tub :)

That shouldn't be hard. I went to CL here and checked for hot tubs under "Free Stuff" and found six.

Having had a hot tub for years I would recommend plugging up the original plumbing from the inside as stagnant water will collect inside and sit if you are not using it. I don't think you would want to use the original plumbing because there would be no way to clean it like a regular pond pump and algae would collect in places you could never reach. As a hot tub, chlorine or similar runs through them so thats not an issue.

Hope it works out for you, and its a neat idea.

Nice info shakaho :) now I just need to get me a hot tub :)

That shouldn't be hard. I went to CL here and checked for hot tubs under "Free Stuff" and found six.

Yep, but most of them require you to haul it by yourself, which is a problem.

I will try to find the info and get back to you, Shakaho

Rent a truck. That's what people do when they buy a big aquarium.

Having had a hot tub for years I would recommend plugging up the original plumbing from the inside as stagnant water will collect inside and sit if you are not using it.

Thanks. That seems to be the usual way of using it without a liner, but there are some very clever people who transform things into ponds, and I considered it possible that they found a use for something in the tub plumbing.

Edited by shakaho

It looks like a really great idea, and sounds like it would be a fun project! You say it was used as a pond before?

If it wasn't, just made sure to clean it really well. Well, clean it anyways, but at least if it was used as a pond before you wouldn't have to worry about chemical residue.

How many fish would you be able to fit into a tub like that?

EDIT: Also, I would recommend, if it is not already done, blocking or filling up the original plumbing. All sorts of bacteria would collect there, and it would be incredibly hard to clean.

Edited by Shiny

My husband's grandparents have a hot tub and I always think of how awesome it would be to put goldfish in it. I see the great minds of Koko's think alike! :rofl

I'll be very interested in following this project. Post pics if and when you set this up!

Edited by Goldenhero

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get the hot tub?

Sadly, no. I couldn't find a way to bring the hot tub home, so the project has been put on hold. I will definitely update and revisit this thread when I'm finally able to start the project again. :(

Do you mean as a container to hold water?

I think if you had a pond liner and used it basically as a reinforced tub that that would be no different than any other container. Using the plumbing and jets that are involved in the hot tub I wouldn't be so inclined to use.

My boyfriend has a broken hot tub and I gave him 5 yrs to fix it before I turn it into a fry grow out pond :rofl

LOL he would have had five weeks with me.

Do you mean as a container to hold water?

I think if you had a pond liner and used it basically as a reinforced tub that that would be no different than any other container. Using the plumbing and jets that are involved in the hot tub I wouldn't be so inclined to use.

My boyfriend has a broken hot tub and I gave him 5 yrs to fix it before I turn it into a fry grow out pond :rofl

LOL he would have had five weeks with me.

:rofl 5 days, if even. :D

• 1 month later...