Hot tub as a pond?

I've posted a listing on Craigslist the other day for a stock tank to use as a pond, and today, somebody texted me saying that they have a hot tub to use as a pond for free. They said they used it as a pond before and it's fine. Has anybody seen or had experience with a hot tub as a pond before and how well does it work?

Stop reading my mind. I've been dying to try this for a year! Just don't have a truck anymore to go get one.

Yay, another person who doesn't think this idea is insane. You can try to post listings on craigslist, since the person who offered me this say that they can have me move it too.

Do you think it's a good idea to use a hot tub as a pond? It is about 500 gallons

Sugar if you using me to prove your not insane, your barking up the wrong tree :rofl I never said it was a good idea :D Idk why it wouldn't work though. I see them for free regularly, but they go so fast and no one will deliver even if I pay them. By the time I could rent a truck they're always long gone. Bummer!

Edited by Smegy Psiren

Sugar if you using me to prove your not insane, your barking up the wrong tree :rofl I never said it was a good idea :D Idk why it wouldn't work though. If I see them for free regularly, but they go so fast and no one will deliver even if I pay them. By the time I could rent a truck they're always long gone. Bummer!

Maybe post a wanted ad, people will come to you. That's that I did

Do you mean as a container to hold water?

I think if you had a pond liner and used it basically as a reinforced tub that that would be no different than any other container. Using the plumbing and jets that are involved in the hot tub I wouldn't be so inclined to use.

My boyfriend has a broken hot tub and I gave him 5 yrs to fix it before I turn it into a fry grow out pond :rofl

Do you mean as a container to hold water?

I think if you had a pond liner and used it basically as a reinforced tub that that would be no different than any other container. Using the plumbing and jets that are involved in the hot tub I wouldn't be so inclined to use.

My boyfriend has a broken hot tub and I gave him 5 yrs to fix it before I turn it into a fry grow out pond :rofl

Yup, as a container.

I've been toying with that idea myself, actually. :rofl

Great minds think alike!

Actually, I didn't think of using it as a pond until the person messaged me with the offer. I kind of thought she was crazy, but it's apparently not so foreign of an idea anymore.

So you think I should do it?

Also, will the insulation be enough or do I need more insulation for the winter?

Edited by alvintran1998

GO FOR IT!!! :rockon

You wanna sponsor me for transportation, pond liner, filter, fish, plants, and a birthday present? I will go for it.~ lol just kidding.

I can't wait, just I don't have a truck to drive the darn thing home, and they're asking for a fee if they deliver it.

...and let us know how it goes? Take tons of pictures? Pretty please?!

Of course I will, first challenge is bringing the thing home.

I've just asked the person and she said that she didn't use a pond liner for the tub when she used it as a pond at all. Would you recommend this?

Also, for you pond people, how do you change the water, if you change the water at all?

Edited by alvintran1998

I doubt you would need a thick liner. A cheap thin one would do the job, since all you need is a layer of protection from the chemicals, not from sticks or rocks. I'd get it!! It would be fun!

. The one you show looks like the surround is in refinishable shape, which is not too usual. The price is right, so you might start by asking them how they used it as a pond. What did they do with all the plumbing in it?

Here's the problem. If you don't know how a pond works, I'm not sure you can figure out how to modify the hot tub into a pond. The simplest thing is to put a liner in it so it's just like any other container except for all the lumps and bumps. I don't know how all the plumbing in a hot tub works, so I can't tell you how to make use of it. I know I could figure it out if I had one.

I think it's a worthy project, but not an easy one.

I would do it (but I am a newbie and have an overstocked tank) so don't do it on my account.

HOWEVER ... I used to live in LA and the CL there was always advertising guys with trucks to pick up things you cant fit in your own car. So if yours doesn't have that listing .. maybe you can post a listing asking for someone with a truck to get you from A to B for so much cash ... times are hard, some family with a truck (and maybe some extra muscle to move it) would appreciate the extra cash?

UNBOO! YEAH!!! I've everything crossed for you! This way I can learn from your mistakes and not look like an idiot :tomuch: JK :donthit:

Edited by Smegy Psiren