• * Nitrate level (Tank):5 (before wc)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap):0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap):0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):7.8
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):6.5
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC50
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and Seachem Alkaline Buffer
  • * Water temperature? 72
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 90% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? just now, 50%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal, more than a year
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, about 5"
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pellets, rep ashy, peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.): flukes
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Some red blotches on its scales
  • photo3-1_zps9e052b26.jpg
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? he is bottom sitting (sometimes upside down, sometimes nose down).
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Just finished prazi and salt treatment at the end of January for flukes, it was for 6 rounds.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

photo2_zps5c19fbb1.jpg

photo1_zps0031a6c5.jpg

Sorry your fish is not feeling well.

How long has he been upside down like this and how often is he like this? All/most of the day? For a couple hours after eating? Also the mods may want you to feel his belly--is it firm or soft and squishy?

Is he eating and what does his poop look like?

Sorry for all the questions but I think the answers may help the mods. . . .

Has been on and off for the past few weeks. I thought he was constipated, so I tried peas only for a week, then fasting for a week, then repashy only for a week, last week I tried I feed pellets/repashy in the am and peas in the pm.

Today, he started doing this for most of the day, almost to the point that he's being sucked into the filter.

His belly feels normal, not squishy.

He eats fine.

for now, i would put some filter floss over the intake tube to avoid that happening. poor guy :( I hope he feels better soon. He's one of my favs here.

Edited by sarajo

No it didn't. I see green poop and food colored poop though.

Could be a she, the reason I said 'he' was because of his breeding stars last spring.

Well breeding stars would be reason enough for me to assume "he". I was just thinking many people refer to their fish as "he" if they don't know . . .

Hopefully a mod will come along soon. I've got a couple things rolling around in my head but not enough confidence to throw them out there.

When you do water changes, do you match pH? (I'm assuming you do but just thought I'd ask.)

Hang in there.

Flip overs are almost always related to swim bladder issues, and part of this may be food related, where somehow the food is impacting and interfering with the swim bladder.

I'd like for you to fast her for 3 days, and if you want to feed anything, just half a pea with some Epsom in it. What is the temp of your tank? I'd like for it to be raised to about 78, if you can.

Ok I will do that.

I am really at a loss trying to find what to feed him.

Have tried saki hikari, hikari lion head, repashy, aqueon. And they all make him floaty.

Was going to try bloodworm next...

Any idea what the red blotches on its scales are caused by?

Forgot to mention that he had long white poop a few hours ago. It is not a poo casing, it looks like a thread.

I think it's from the stress of being upside down. Would you agree?

I am actually leaning a bit toward an internal infection, actually, which is why we are also seeing the flipping. I think you have metronidazole powder, right? I think it might be worth making a batch of metro food, just to be prepared. I'd like to see how she does another day or two max before making the recommendation to start a medicated food course though.

Just in case you missed my previous post, this has been going on and off for several weeks now.

I have tried fasting him for a week, then peas only for a week, then repashy only, then pellet/repashy in the am then peas in the pm. Fyi, during these times his poops were normal.

While he'll get better with fasting and peas only, the second I introduce pellets/repashy, he'll be upside down again.

Just fyi :)

And yes I have metro powder.

Which Repashy are you feeding? Although I have so far seen only improvement with my floaters when eating Soilent Green, I read an email by Allen Repashy saying that Soilent Green may not be the optimal food for adult goldfish as it is high in animal protein, but he'd recommend Super Green instead, which is almost fully plant based. That may help in the future as well. :)

Thanks for the info fang! So you're saying it's the high protein content in foods that causes the floatiness?

Because come to think of it, the effect is kind of immediate, ie: he'll flip upside down not long after consuming pellets and repashy. But won't when being fed peas.

In some cases the higher amounts animal protein can cause digestive issues in adult goldfish. That's why some sensitive fish will even float on frozen blood worms etc, although these foods are quite natural.

That does not mean that Super Green would be THE solution to the fish's floating, but in the future it may make a little bit of a difference. :)