Sign in to follow this  
lCormack

Goldfish has a white growth on side what is it?

I have three goldfish. Two of them started getting breeding pimples and one of them (bolt) kept chasing sparky (who is smaller and not showing mating signs) so I put sparky in his/her own 17l tank. Last water. Change was 2 days ago.

He started floating at the top of the tank, the right way around but pointing down and slightly to the side. We believe he was constipated so we gave him/her peas. A day later we noticed he had a white growth on his side. He/she had this before in the exact same location and it went away but has come back again, what is it? It is not red, it just looks like a big pimple. I added a small amount of aquarium salt and some anti fungus medicine. What is the growth? Find a picture below, blurry I know.28997_144502472381761_1662842227_n.jpg

Please answer these questions :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

It is my hospital tank so no filter.

20% water change two days ago

Aquilibrium added to the water (aquarium salt I use in both tanks)

Protozin white spot and fungus added

Internet bioactive tap safe.

Api aquarium test strips

Ph - 7

Nitrate - between 0 + 20

Nitrite - between 0 + 0.5

Tank been running for a week

He had the growth before, went away and has come back.

Has had fungus on his fins before. Finally edges were turning black and disappearing. Not amonia burns as water was tested and not find rot as I took him to a vet. All fish get fed mostly flakes. Peas or cucumber if I have and they love pineapple. Also occasionally dried blood worms. They get fed once a day as if fed more sparky floats.

He is the only one in the hospital tank.

Nothing else unusual on him/her apart from the growth.

Has lost scales on same side 6months ago when he got trapped in an ornament. Grown back with no problems.

In original tank the specs are the same but it is a bigger tank with a filter. Sparky is still a bit sulky but he is eating normally and is still tilting to the side when rested.

Had jaws (male) for 3 or 4 years.

Bolt for 6 months (male)

Sparky for 1 + 1/2 years unsure of sex

Sorry to hear about your current problem.

Being a relative newbie on Koko’s, I would not wish to give you any incorrect advice on the subject, and escalate what is already a worrying time for you.

It could be an ulcer, caused by external bacterial infection.....and related to your water quality (but that's just my initial opinion).

Try and complete the questionnaire that "ahardeay" provided in her earlier post.

This will enable the moderators to provide a more accurate diagnosis, following their study of the information you supply. ;)

Oh BTW!!!

May I offer a warm welcome to the site...... :welcome .....nearly forgot, sorry!!!

Edited by Phillyn17

I did supply the information in the post directly after

I don't know ammonia level but I do know it is fine as I had it checked at my fish shop.

Thank you :)

It is my hospital tank so no filter.

20% water change two days ago

Do you have an airstone running in the hospital tank?

Aquilibrium added to the water (aquarium salt I use in both tanks)

How much of this, please?

Protozin white spot and fungus added

This is not necessary at the moment. What we really need first and foremost are some clear pics or a video of this. As you said, this is too blurry, and I don't think any sort of diagnosis should be made at this time. I can tell you already that it's not white spot though.

Internet bioactive tap safe.

Api aquarium test strips

Ph - 7

Nitrate - between 0 + 20

Nitrite - between 0 + 0.5

Unfortunately, the value that we need most is ammonia. Is there anyway you can get a test to measure this, or have your LFS do it? Don't get strips. Get the drop test kits.

Tank been running for a week

He had the growth before, went away and has come back.

Has had fungus on his fins before. Finally edges were turning black and disappearing. Not amonia burns as water was tested and not find rot as I took him to a vet. All fish get fed mostly flakes. Peas or cucumber if I have and they love pineapple. Also occasionally dried blood worms. They get fed once a day as if fed more sparky floats.

I don't think that it's fungal, simply because it's actually not common for fish to develop fungal infections. There are bacterial and parasitic infections that can also give you the appearance of a fungal infection, OR there could be opportunistic fungal infections secondary to a bacterial or parasitic infection.

He is the only one in the hospital tank.

Hang in there. We'll sort this out.