Sign in to follow this  
VicMao

2 Week Celebration! :)

Two Saturdays ago, I randomly decided to go to the LPS with my boyfriend. It was a really nice shop, and they had a great selection of fish and fish supplies. We were going to adopt a goldfish, despite knowing very little about it. We knew we'd figure it out. ;) When I found the goldfish I wanted, I asked one of the ladies to come collect him for me. As she got her tools together to catch Baxter, she looked at the meager amount of supplies we were holding, and told us that we needed more stuff to really care for a goldfish. I thanked her, and told her I would do some research online before buying anything else for him. She gave me a nasty look, and when it came time to pay for everything we were buying, she refused to guarantee Baxter's life. The LPS has a policy that if you buy a new fish, they will guarantee its life for two weeks. If he/she dies within those two weeks, you can bring in a sample of your tank water and the dead fish, and they will replace him if you buy the recommended products to better care for your tank. But this lady didn't seem to believe that I cared enough about Baxter, because she didn't think he would even last the two weeks, and refused to guarantee him. I have to admit, after this encounter, I walked with Baxter's bag in my hands to my car, and began to cry. I was really upset and afraid that I wasn't going to be a good enough keeper for Baxter. My boyfriend hugged me and said, "She's just grumpy. She doesn't know how good a mom you can be to Baxter. I know you'll give him the best life he could have." From that moment on, I decided that no matter what happened, I was going to make Baxter's life wonderful, and I was going to give him a life of way more than two weeks.

Today, it is two weeks after Baxter's adoption, and he is happily swimming around, just as he was the day I got him. He lives in his cute little tank with snazzy upgrades, such as the oxygen tubing and a thermometer (heehee!), and he seems just fine to me. :) Just thought I'd share my happiness with the Koko's community, and some pictures of Baxter in his tank after two weeks. Thank you to everybody on here who has helped make this possible. You all have been so kind to me thus far, and I know you'll continue to help me. :wub:

2weekslater.jpg

2weekslatertank.jpg

Congratulations Baxter! He's a cute little fish. If there isn't any reason not to, you could fill the tank up a bit more. He'll appreciate the space and water. He looks really happy in your care :)

Awwww how cute!! :)

Until you can upgrade him to the proper size tank, just fill his tank up as far as possible (even if the filter outlet is slightly below the water surface then), and remove a good half of your gravel to provide more water volume. :)

According to your photo, you probably have reduced the possible water volume of your tank 20-25%.

Providing as much water volume as possible will definitely help keeping him alive until you can get him more snazzy upgrades :D

he's very cute :)

What a little cutie :heart

oh! i love him. and Baxter is such a cute name for a spunky Ryukin fish :)

congratulations :)

He's so cute! I love his face!

Congratulations Baxter! He's a cute little fish. If there isn't any reason not to, you could fill the tank up a bit more. He'll appreciate the space and water. He looks really happy in your care :)

Awwww how cute!! :)

Until you can upgrade him to the proper size tank, just fill his tank up as far as possible (even if the filter outlet is slightly below the water surface then), and remove a good half of your gravel to provide more water volume. :)

According to your photo, you probably have reduced the possible water volume of your tank 20-25%.

Providing as much water volume as possible will definitely help keeping him alive until you can get him more snazzy upgrades :D

Thank you both for the advice, especially about the gravel! :) I'll take some out asap and fill up his tank a little more. :) And thank you to everyone else for supporting me/commenting on Baxter!!! :)

Awwwww your bf is so sweet!!! Congratulations! I'll bet you'll be the best fishy momma ever.

Instead of being so grumpy and degrading she really should have been nice and given you advice instead. I'm so happy you proved her wrong :)

I'm so glad he's doing so well. :) Be sure to bring pictures there soon, to show how well he's doing. When it's time for your upgrade, be sure to rub it in to her, how he's growing so large, he needs a new tank. ;)

he is really cute :)

Thanks for sharing your pics with us :) looking forward to seeing him grow big and strong :)

Very nice! :Congrats:

What a classy little fishy! He's adorable and I do believe that you are being the bestest fishy mommy!! Keep up the hard work!