My pond thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you suppose to WCS on a pond? Was the filter hard to setup??(looks confusing)

I don't mean to sound rude but maybe could set up your own thread for questions? My whole thread (all seven pages) explains most of what your asking.

How are you suppose to WCS on a pond? Was the filter hard to setup??(looks confusing)

I don't mean to sound rude but maybe could set up your own thread for questions? My whole thread (all seven pages) explains most of what your asking.

Oh sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread

It's fine!! I answered he question about water changes on the previous page.

how big is the tub? do you do water changes?

The tub is 300 gallons and has a 30gal bog filter. I have yet to do a real waterchange but parameters have been perfect. It rains a lot so Ill remove water if it gets too high and these past few days its been very hot so I added some water for the first time since initial filling to replace evaporated water. I'm still a novice to ponds but my fish seem to be thriving and that's all that matters!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a little update! We are well into winter now and the pond is doing wonderful. I've tossed most of the plants in the bog filter except the creeping jenny which should die back and regrow in spring. I've added a Tru temp 1000 watt heating system to compensate for the fact that the pond is not being naturally insulated by the earth as it would if it was inground.

tumblr_mwbrojlPfm1rvj6gdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwbrojlPfm1rvj6gdo2_1280.jpg

The best thing about this heater is that it is very accurate and so far has survived very well outdoors.

I then went on to construct the exterior insulation for my pond.

tumblr_mxmnqyRlCz1rvj6gdo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxmnqyRlCz1rvj6gdo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxmnqyRlCz1rvj6gdo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxmnqyRlCz1rvj6gdo5_1280.jpg

I need to finish enclosing the top along the border and stuff it with more insulation but I haven’t had time with finals. There were a lot of issues with this build because several things were cut to the wrong dimensions that I had given them (thanks a lot home depot), but I made the best with what I had. The most expensive component of this was the insulation, which costs around 35-40 dollars a sheet (and I used two sheets). I forget the R value, which dictates more or less how effective it will be in retaining heat, but it is one of the highest on the market for polyiso insulation. I then cut it to fit the frame and sealed it in several layers of heavy plastic to keep it dry. I may have to replace it at some point if it gets wet, which is fine. I’m also building a green house style roof to keep snow off the pond and increase the amount of heat, which will get built over the next week or two. We actually had nearly 8 inches of snow dumped on us out of the blue on Sunday, when we were only supposed to get a dusting, and I was completely unprepared. But the pond stayed at a toasty 50 degrees and the fish are fine. The netting held up most of the snow from coming in contact with the pond and I went out every few hours and brushed it off and onto the ground. To be completely honest however the 1000 watt heater is pulling most of the weight and has done a fantastic job, all these extra measures are to ensure that it is easier to retain that heat and reduce temperature swings. I’m eventually going to cover up that ugly cinder blocks supporting the filter but that is not a top priority atm.

Also all my fancies are handling the cold spectacularly.
tumblr_mwwk577NPN1rvj6gdo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwjwz8Lsf61rvj6gdo1_1280.jpg

These are the only pictures I have uploaded but everyone is quite active and wen is growing like crazy. Since there are no leaves on the trees the pond gets much more sun and the algae has taken off. It's grown thick on interior of the pond and the fish spend most of the day eating it. When temps are good I throw some repashy super green in as well. At this point they are getting few once or twice a week and seem to have good appetites.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I suggest you make your roof out of this and the clear version of this. Even heavy sleet will roll off.

I know you aren't done yet, but you are wasting a tremendous amount of heat by running the water through the "radiator" that is your filter. You have two options to fix this -- insulate the filter, or probably better, drain the filter and use some of the media in a submersed filter.

This is really simple to make. Take a tote with a lid that is more than big enough to hold your pump. Drill holes in the lid to let water in and make a hole for a pipe/hose from your pump to exit. Surround the pump with media (even on the bottom), and put filter pads between the media and the lid. Since you are not feeding much, you don't need as good filtration as you do in warm weather, and this will work fine through the cold weather.

^thanks for the tips! Honestly it would be easier for me to insulate the filter because I want to hide it anyway (even through my pond exterior isn't super pretty the filter still is an eye sore). The material you suggested was what I was already planning on using :) you had shown it to me once before!

• 2 months later...

Just a bit of an update, despite this being the snowiest winter in decades the fish and pond are doing fantastically. I can't wait until it warms up a bit more and I can get started on yet another smaller pond/s that will just be seasonal additions.

I was hoping you were going to show a current picture, but it's good to hear your pond and fish are doing well.

I would but not much has changed! there's snow on the ground atm because we got 6 more inches on sunday/monday and the pond is pretty warm (the pond was just below 50) Fish were active. I'll try and snap some pictures tomorrow! Not much has changed though, it became much to cold far too quickly :rofl