My pond thread

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering this fornanwhile and thought I would ask you :) What are you going to do with your fish in the winter? Do you have a plan?

The pond and filter are going to be heavily insulated and enclosed almost with clear plastic to create a greenhouse effect. I'm going to move the most delicate fish indoors but my goal is to winter my ryukin, ranchu, and misc fancies outdoors. That is if I can get the temps stable and warm.

We get some snow but we've had very mild winters the past four years. Most winters I don't even have to break out a winter jacket. We have the potential to get quite cold but it never seems to get there :rofl. I've been reading up on creating gabled roofing to keep then pond warmer which is something shakaho originally suggested. I saw in my pond magazine too where a man used something similar to cover his koi pond in Canada because they were getting so much snow and ice.

Yes that's on the outer provinces. They get a lot of ice storms, sleet, and snow regularly melts. I think it's one of the hardest areas to winter a pond in.

My province keeps around 2-4ft of groundsnow and it stays for at least 6-8 months. With o-rings and bubblers it is conceivable to keep your pond running in the winter but it is cheaper to keep them indoors. (keeping an 0-ring running in -40C weather)

Haha I cannot imagine keeping my pond running here in the winter Una! It would get crazy expensive haha.... I want to build myself a lake at some point though.... or put fish in our dugout. They would survive in there all winter :D

Yeah I think as long as you are over 10,000 gallons and have the right depth you would be fine for the winter. I just don't have a farm to commit that space to :ignore

how big is the tub? do you do water changes?

The tub is 300 gallons and has a 30gal bog filter. I have yet to do a real waterchange but parameters have been perfect. It rains a lot so Ill remove water if it gets too high and these past few days its been very hot so I added some water for the first time since initial filling to replace evaporated water. I'm still a novice to ponds but my fish seem to be thriving and that's all that matters!