7 dead goldfish in 4 days ...

Goldfish Girls

Will you upload a video for me of this if you are able? I am thinking that that particular fish will need some salt dips, but I would like to see him/her first.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this whole thread I strongly suspect that a lot of your issues had to do with anerobic conditions existing in your undergravel filter causing major chemical problems and allowing the infections the opportunity to take hold. Now you have removed the undergravel and instigated a better water change regime conditions should continue to improve. One you have a FX5 (as long as you install proper biomedia such as Seachem Matrix in the baskets) and continue your more frequent water changes a recurrence is unlikely.

Reading this whole thread I strongly suspect that a lot of your issues had to do with anerobic conditions existing in your undergravel filter causing major chemical problems and allowing the infections the opportunity to take hold. Now you have removed the undergravel and instigated a better water change regime conditions should continue to improve. One you have a FX5 (as long as you install proper biomedia such as Seachem Matrix in the baskets) and continue your more frequent water changes a recurrence is unlikely.

Thanks for your input...we've been going through all that.

May I ask why is it the Seachem Matrix is proper biomedia? Is there no other? I fear than my tank is is all wrong, as are several other tanks who have FX5s, if that's the case.

Goldfish Girls, I don't think it's all that bad. :)

Could you please do a reading of all your water parameters, please?

FINALY! (hours later!)

So here it is. 4 mins long, didn't realize that! But he just sits there. His name is Miss Kitty - he got that name before we knew he was a he ....)

LOL enjoy the kids in the background! LOL

Other than the fact that he isn't swimming with the crowd, and he occasionally darts, I don't really see anything particularly alarming. However, I would like for you to do this anyway:

SALT DIP

1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.

2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.

3. make sure you have some sort of timer

4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.

5. start timer.

6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.

7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.

8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.

9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

Let me know how goes. We may need to do this a couple more times. :)

Parents moved up here this last weekend. I haven't had a spare moment!

Miss Kitty is looking much better. We have also done the latest 50% water change NOT added salt this time and reg sized dose of PP (this was the 3rd treatment) Water is good, fish look happy. :)

They have started eating from my hand now too :) (squished peas)

So I think all is well :)

May I ask why is it the Seachem Matrix is proper biomedia? Is there no other? I fear than my tank is is all wrong, as are several other tanks who have FX5s, if that's the case.

It doesn't have to be Matrix it can be Eheim Substrat Pro, Substrat, BioMech or JBL Micro Mech etc but it needs to be at least 400m3 in surface area like all those are in order to provide enough space for bacteria in a FX5 which has a very small bio capacity to flowrate ratio. I only suggest Matrix because its the cheapest and its excellent.

It doesn't have to be Matrix it can be Eheim Substrat Pro, Substrat, BioMech or JBL Micro Mech etc but it needs to be at least 400m3 in surface area like all those are in order to provide enough space for bacteria in a FX5 which has a very small bio capacity to flowrate ratio. I only suggest Matrix because its the cheapest and its excellent.

Thank you. This makes sense. I was quite confused earlier. :)

YES!!!!! super happy! I added back in 2 tacky tank toys and my goldies are playing with them, they missed having things in the tank w them. So nice to have a healthy tank. It will probably be a bit longer before I can see a fish swimming near the surface with out a minor heart attack! lol .....

Now I can get started planning a healthy decore for them. (slightly tacky!)

deffinatly thinking roman ruins ...... lol my happy fishies!

ALSO finally had time to order the Fluva FX5 .. should be here this next weekend. will be finished with treatments and can look forward to some happy times with my fishies!