Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Why are there snails inside my canister filter?

:krazy:

So I cleaned out my canister last night and found A LOT of small snails inside the canister filter. At first I thought it was rocks or pieces of carbon. But then I realized that I have no carbon in the filter. Has this happened to any of you before? What's the cause? Is this bad or harmful for the fishies?

Pond snails? have you added any plants in the last few months?

Edited by FlipsHere

I have had it happen before, with bladder snails that I kept 20-25 years ago. The filter was not a canister, just a HOB. My guess is that the snail eggs, or teeny hatchling snails got sucked into the filter, and somehow didn't get crushed by the impeller. From there, they then hatched or grew. This could easily happen with a canister, as well.

Be careful, though- snail infestations can get out of control quickly, and the bladder snails in my tank did end up breaking the filter by a crapload of them getting in there, jamming the impeller, and burning out the motor while I was out for the day. They seem to grow SUPER fast in the filters, with easy access to food, and no comeptition or predation from fish.

Edited by JamieMonster

Make sure to go in there and take things apart to get as many out as possible so they don't ruin your canister. ;)

Can we see some pictures? I want to see :yikes

Can we see some pictures? I want to see :yikes

Pond snails? have you added any plants in the last few months?

I'm not sure what kind of snails. Just really really tiny. I added plants all the way back in september but I'm pretty sure they were snail free. I've also cleaned this filter before and never saw them. I'm going to open it up in a few weeks and see if the problem persists.

I have snails living in the 55 right now, and nothing I have done has gotten rid of them.

I am trying to look at it from positive angle. I actually never see them out and about, except may be 1 or 2 on occasion. They actually eat up the debris in the filters, and as a consequence my filters require much less rinsing much less often. I am actually thinking of transplanting them over to the 100g as well :rofl

The only thing is that they do consume some of the media as well, so I do have to change the media more often, like once every 6 months instead of yearly...

Hi all,

I have had a problem with small black snails in one of my aquariums for over a year. I remove every snail I see but they still keep coming.

When I cleaned the canister filter I found a lot, mainly at the bottom. I removed every snail I could find, but the snails in the aquarium still kept on coming. I have now found out how this happens. They return back into the tank via the return pipe from the canister. I had removed what I thought was every snail when I cleaned the canister, but there was no way that I could find and remove every set of eggs.

I have purchased several plastic tea strainers and I fit one under the return pipe. I manage to catch several every week. I remove them and slowly the tank is improving.

Best regards Keith