Sign in to follow this  
markwhelan92

Goldfish fungal infection

Hi there,

I have a problem and looking for some help.

I had two goldfish, both nearly a year old. One of them unfortunately died today of a fungal infection.

I was wondering whether this could affect my other goldfish? He hasn't been showing any signs of illness at all throughout the other fish' illness. However, I have noticed some slight twitching from him since I removed his friend.

Should I be worried about him? Is it possible that he is simply stressed by the fact he is suddenly alone? Or will he be suffering due to my tank being sort of infected?

Thanks in advance for any help, would appreciate any help asap so I can go and get treatment for him.

- Mark

Hi Mark, I'm sorry your fish died. If you could post a picture of your set up, we could give you some advice to help you reduce the chances of another fungal infection.

The quick and unpleasant answer is that it could effect your other fish. At the very least, I would remove the fish, clean the tank and refill with fresh dechlorinated water.

If you think that your remaining fish is showing symptoms, you should fill out the answers to the questions above and upload a video showing his behavior. :)

Edited by motherredcap

Also, could you answer the questions below? I would also like your description as to why you think that it's a fungal infection. Thanks.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hi Mark, I'm sorry your fish died. If you could post a picture of your set up, we could give you some advice to help you reduce the chances of another fungal infection.

The quick and unpleasant answer is that it could effect your other fish. At the very least, I would remove the fish, clean the tank and refill with fresh dechlorinated water.

If you think that your remaining fish is showing symptoms, you should fill out the answers to the questions above and upload a video showing his behavior. :)

Hi there, thankyou very much for your reply! and thanks, they are my first fish and I really don't want to let my other one die without doing as much as possible for him. Or her.

Okay so you think I should proceed and clean the tank? The symptoms he's showing do seem extremely minor but I don't really want to take chances; all he's really doing is twitching a bit. When I first got my fish and they were not used to the water, I was told to change the water 33% every day to 'cycle' them. I apologise if this seems naive, but is this correct?

s1010001p.jpg

s1010004.jpg

Here is my set up - not much going on, I have the filter in the middle and a few plants in the corner which is where he likes to hang out. I tried a few videos but he doesn't feel like coming out at the moment, so I will post one when he does.

As for the test results, I'm going getting my water tested on Friday (atleast I was going to if I have not completely changed the water) as I want to pick up medicine just incase. Is there anything that you would recommend me getting?

Test Results for the Following:

Other Required Info:

• * Ammonia Level (tank): ?
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): ?
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): ?
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): ?
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): ?
  • * Nitrate level (Tap): ?
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): ?
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): ?
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: ?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I'm not sure, it's about 6 inches high and an inch wide.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? -I use interpret bio active tapsafe.
  • * Water temperature? Unsure, it's not unusually cold or warm from what I can tell.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Generally about 40% once a week. In the last few days I have been doing 40% changes daily to try and save my fish.

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, and I changed 10%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 24 litres and it's been running for 3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 now, two until today, he is 2 and a half inches long. I think he is very young.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I feed them Aquarian gold fish flakes twice a day. Generally I give them about 10 flakes between them at each feeding time.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fungus I believe on the now deceased fish, see below.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - only by the deceased fish. The other fish seems to be twitching occasionally but no change to his appearance.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Basically, my fish started turning black, which after researching I believe to be ammonia burns. They were like little black spots and patches appearing over him. He began spending alot of his time just lying at the bottom of the tank. Then he developed a sort of white fur on him. My 'diagnosis' of a fungal infection was purely based on internet research so obviously it isn't that solid, if you believe it could have been something else.

Again, massive thanks for both of your replies I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any more help you can offer.

Cheers, Mark

I can suggest that you purchase the API Freshwater Master Test Kit either online or at a pet store so you can know your tank's parameters. Being a drop test kit it is both more accurate and economical than the strips. The reason I suggest this is that without knowing the water parameters the moderators will not be able to provide proper treatment as the parameters can effect the type and duration as well as effectiveness.

You're also, unfortunately, going to need a larger aquarium to house your goldfish. Fancy goldfish can reach 15 - 20cm in length and singled tailed goldfish can reach between 20 and 30.5cm in length, neither measurement including their tails. Goldfish are also massive waste producers. With a smaller tank you will not be able to maintain good water quality or provide adequate space for your fish, which leads to disease if left unaddressed. In general for one goldfish we recommend 57 - 75 liters per fish so that they have optimal swimming space and water quality. This also means that your filtration should be turning over the water in the entire tank 10x per hour to deal with the waste efficiently... so we're at 570 - 750 lph to filter this aquarium.

The moderation probably will recommend that you upgrade your water changing schedule, but without knowing the water parameters that could be dangerous so those are top priority.

I'm sorry of this becomes a little overwhelming. Goldfish are a bit more work than the general public likes to believe. Many of us here have been in similar situations, whether because a pet store owner wants to make a buck or we just went off of past experiences. I know you want to help your fish because you landed here, and the Moderation team as well as we members all are here for help and support!

Hi Mark,

As Chelsea indicated the problems probably stem from deteriorating water quality in the small tank. We've all been there. I managed to kill a fish in a 28 liter tank. After that, I found a 60 at a jumble sale and that worked rather well for one fish.

For right now, we want to stabilize the current fish and make sure he doesn't get sick. The pet store advice to change 33% is actually decent during the cycling phase in an appropriate sized tank. We really need a water chemistry test kit to find out if the tank is cycled. Because the tank is small, you will need to increase the frequency of water changes until we have kit and can find out if your filter is processing the ammonia and nitrite.

My best advice is to clean the tank (but don't touch the filter). Remove all but a thin layer of gravel (the gravel hosts bacteria and takes up space in a small tank). Refill with dechlorinated clean water and add the fish back.

Observe the fish and see if he is acting strangely and report back to us. The first line treatment for fungus would be ordinary salt (without additives). Having that on hand might be a good idea. Don't add any yet because adding salt to a tank with ammonia would be a bad thing. Hold off on treatment until you have cleaned the tank and changed the water and observed.

Keep in touch! We will help you work through this.

Great advice from above! :)

As for why I asked you thought it was a fungus, there are actually other infections that could look like a fungal infection, when it's not.

As is the case in humans, fungal infections do happen, but it is not with high incidence. The fungi have adapted well to co-existence with other things. :)