Sign in to follow this  
dakotak

Hanging lights and LEDS.

So I want to put some hanging lights on my tank and instead of buying one im gonna DIY the hanger. The how to is online but I cant link it since the website has its own forum. But the hangers will be mounted to the stand behind the tank.

Now can any light be hung? Or do I need a light fixture made for hanging?

Also how well do LEDS work for plants? I want some hornwort, ,more anubias and other low to medium light plants. Or should I just stick to lights like t5s?

So I want to put some hanging lights on my tank and instead of buying one im gonna DIY the hanger. The how to is online but I cant link it since the website has its own forum. But the hangers will be mounted to the stand behind the tank.

Now can any light be hung? Or do I need a light fixture made for hanging?

Also how well do LEDS work for plants? I want some hornwort, ,more anubias and other low to medium light plants. Or should I just stick to lights like t5s?

PM me that link would ya? I'm thinking about hanging the lights I get, if I ever get my ducks in a row. I would love to see what ya got. I'm wondering myself about LED and plants.

Marineland makes a great aquatic plant LED, but it just came out so it's VERY expensive. I think that if I had to do it over, I'd probably go broke on that plant light, rather than doing the t5-ho's. Truth is though, I'm really appreciating that the t5-ho's don't need a tank cover. Most other LED's aren't rated for plant life, and you have to watch the spectrum. Many are made for reef tanks, and don't have the right ligting to make freshwater plants flourish.

My t5ho's came w/ a hanging kit, but I haven't done anything w/ it yet.

A pipe bender!!! Get outta town! I would probly end up with something that looked like it belonged in Dr Seuss's Whoville.

Edited by Smegy Psiren

Marineland makes a great aquatic plant LED, but it just came out so it's VERY expensive. I think that if I had to do it over, I'd probably go broke on that plant light, rather than doing the t5-ho's. Truth is though, I'm really appreciating that the t5-ho's don't need a tank cover. Most other LED's aren't rated for plant life, and you have to watch the spectrum. Many are made for reef tanks, and don't have the right ligting to make freshwater plants flourish.

My t5ho's came w/ a hanging kit, but I haven't done anything w/ it yet.

I found a T5 light that can be ordered with a hanging system and is 48 inches long. But its 130 ish. D: Ah well, it will be worth it. XD

Which t5 did you get?

Which t5 did you get?

I haven't got it yet, its this one unless I can find a cheaper one with a hanging attachment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...atchlink:top:en

Thats what I have! Its a good light. :)

It looks awesome, I cant wait to buy it. :clapping:

I'd go with the T5 fixture if you intend on growing plants, LEDs lack throwing power which is really unideal if you intend on hanging the fixture. I answered a similar question in another thread earlier this week, if you're after information on PAR vs. Distance it can be found here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107728-ridiculously-confused-about-lights/page__view__findpost__p__1409680

Most other LED's aren't rated for plant life, and you have to watch the spectrum. Many are made for reef tanks, and don't have the right ligting to make freshwater plants flourish.

I disagree with this based on my research and experience having two tanks with reef spectrum lights. Plants only care about the level of PAR (Photosyntetically Active Radiation) they get, not the spectrum. The spectrum has to do with how the plants and fish look to us. Freshwater plant keepers generally don't like reef spectrums because the whites (10,000K-12,000K) look bluer than than freshwater spectrums (5000-6500K). Personally, I like the crisp white light that reef whites offer. The biggest thing to watch is PAR values and it seems that higher kelvin ratings require more power to produce the same par as a lower rating. But, reef lights are also generally stronger due to the higher PAR needs of coral. So in the end reef lighting tends to be too strong for plants, unless the fixture is suspended higher above the tank.

I have a Marineland Reef Capable LED over my 40 Breeder and haven't found a plant that wouldn't grow with it. When I had stems they would need trimming at least once a week or they'd get seriously out of hand, my light is also suspended 10" above the tank. I have since moved to an all crypt tank and had to use window screen to diffuse the light to a lower level.

Above my 5g CHI, I have an Ecoxxotic EcoPico LED and it's the same thing, everything grows great and I have to constantly remove plants from the tank from all the growth.

Most other LED's aren't rated for plant life, and you have to watch the spectrum. Many are made for reef tanks, and don't have the right ligting to make freshwater plants flourish.

I disagree with this based on my research and experience having two tanks with reef spectrum lights. Plants only care about the level of PAR (Photosyntetically Active Radiation) they get, not the spectrum. The spectrum has to do with how the plants and fish look to us. Freshwater plant keepers generally don't like reef spectrums because the whites (10,000K-12,000K) look bluer than than freshwater spectrums (5000-6500K). Personally, I like the crisp white light that reef whites offer. The biggest thing to watch is PAR values and it seems that higher kelvin ratings require more power to produce the same par as a lower rating. But, reef lights are also generally stronger due to the higher PAR needs of coral. So in the end reef lighting tends to be too strong for plants, unless the fixture is suspended higher above the tank.

Well put, although I am inclined to say plants don't just care about PAR. Colour spectrum has some impact: terrestrial, aquatic and marsh plants all tend to prefer red and green spectrums of white light over blue, however, they do make use of the broad array. If you have a few minutes to kill, I thought this was a rather interesting article; it's all about colour spectrum and its impact on photosynthesis.

http://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/4/684.full.pdf

Well put, although I am inclined to say plants don't just care about PAR. Colour spectrum has some impact: terrestrial, aquatic and marsh plants all tend to prefer red and green spectrums of white light over blue, however, they do make use of the broad array. If you have a few minutes to kill, I thought this was a rather interesting article; it's all about colour spectrum and its impact on photosynthesis.

http://pcp.oxfordjou.../4/684.full.pdf

Its also said that too much blue, common in reef lights, encourages algae growth.

Its also said that too much blue, common in reef lights, encourages algae growth.

I've never heard that, however, higher blues can cause plants to grow tall rather than full due to the colour's deep penetrative properties. Plants have evolved to realise areas high in blue spectrum lighting tend to mean shade, subsequently they'll grow taller to compensate for their distance from the light source. That said, you're only going to be able to recreate these results in an aquarium if you're using actinic bulbs, not 10,000K bulbs.

http://pcp.oxfordjou.../4/684.full.pdf

You're right, I was a little black and white about it. I have read a lot about this as well but came to the understanding that while important, it's not as important as par since most lights include some intensity in the proper spectrums even though it's not dominant. I'll definitely check out that document. Thanks!

Any high intensity light will produce algae if you don't control the photo-period, nutrients and co2 levels properly. I've certainly never had an algae problem that didn't result from my own mistake, like not replacing a broken timer and forgetting to turn the lights off at the right time for a week. Soon as that's fixed, the problem goes away. I have more algae problems with the high intensity 5000K CFL over my 20 gallon than either of my reef lights.

It's a personal preference more than anything, if you find lights that give you a look you like and are strong enough for the plants you want to grow, they can work.

Wow, thanks for all the info guys. Another quick question(ok well a few). I am going to go with these and I am gonna hang them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300842402518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

How high should I hang them? How many WPG would I have? What rage of lighting would that be(low,medium or high lighting)?

My tank is 110 gallons and is 22 inches deep. Its bare bottom.

Sorry for all the questions. I has no smarts in lights. :peeka