Sign in to follow this  
BryCola

Has Pro Gold ever made your fish floaty?

I have 3 goldfish, and my Ryukin is the largest, and the fastest eater. When I feed them Pro Gold, he almost always is floaty for a day or so. Sometimes so bad that he occasionally tips on his side. I think he might be eating too much, but my Black Moor takes a while to find the food, so if I only put a little in the tank, the Ryukin and Oranda eat it all...if I put a lot, the Black Moor gets some, but the Ryukin gets floaty. I've noticed that if I feed them peas, the floaty problem seems to go away...but comes back almost immediately when I feel them dry food again. (the Omega One does it some, but the Pro Gold almost always does is.) And yes, I always soak the food first. My Ryukin is a big fish, and very cool looking...so I hate that he so easily gets the float problem, and spends a lot of days gulping air at the top. I've evern seen air in his poop. Any suggestions?

Never. But fish vary. My takes poorly to an all repashy diet.

My largest fish totally floats on progold I'm sorry to say. He is also a ryukin/fantail fish. He floats on any pellet food where the others get floaty on progold but not saki hikari or omega one. Have you tried other foods? Today when I was doing a large water change he was having a hard time staying off his side and I felt bad and thought, gotta quit giving him those pellets. I try feeding repashy along with it which is good for the other two but he is floaty like that with any amount of pellets. You might want to think about switching to gel food or trying a combination of foods like that.

Edit: I did find that when I only fed him repashy gel food and veggies he wasn't floaty at all.

Edited by CindiL

One of my orandas gets floaty with pro gold too unfortunately. I stopped feeding it all together. I suggest feeding more green veggies such as spinach and kale in between feedings. You can also try a different pellet. I switched to saki hikari purple bag, which IMO is comparable to pro gold and he doesn't float quite as bad, but he is not fed pellets as a staple. Some fish just can't handle it :(

Never tried it myself, but have seen a few members on here that have had issues with PG. So I'm not even going to try but am sticking with Repashy, which works amazing for literally all of my fish - even the ones that are ultra food sensitive :)

I feed my little ones pro gold as well and out of three, only one of them gets floaty afterwards. It's a bit better when I also feed them repashy soilent green. They've been growing like crazy and I'm definitely seeing some wen growth on my biggest one. My bf actually asked me if I've been feeding them goldfishy steroids :P I'm probably going to stop feeding them pro gold and stick to repashy, I don't really like the smell of pro gold either - it smells like fish sauce. The only thing I don't like about repashy though is that it seems to gives your fish a yellow hue if it's white. My floaty one happens to be white and the yellow showed up in less than a week.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm gonna have to stop using the Pro Gold...which stinks because I have 2 bags of it. Wonder if my tropical fish will eat it? :) I see Repashy on Amazon...it says it's a "gel premix". I don't really know what that means. Is Amazon a good place to buy this?

I used to buy it off amazon but we have a sponsor here Tastyworms.com who also sells it. Its a powder, just mix it, 1 part mix to 3 parts hot/boiling water, let it setup for 15 minutes, cut it and its good to go. Its good for a week in the fridge and months in the freezer. I just make mine up weekly. I actually buy and mix up soilent green and super green together which is all veggie which I find a nice mix as my fish get older. You can buy as small as a 2oz size to try it out if you like.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm gonna have to stop using the Pro Gold...which stinks because I have 2 bags of it. Wonder if my tropical fish will eat it? :) I see Repashy on Amazon...it says it's a "gel premix". I don't really know what that means. Is Amazon a good place to buy this?

If you look it up on youtube, there are lots of people who show you how to make it. You get a bag full of powder and you add a certain amount with water in a bowl then microwave it, let it set and you end up with block of jelly like substance that is fish food. yay. I bought it on Amazon cause I have prime and I wanted it fast. I trust it, but I'm not too sure if it's the greatest price wise. It's a little on the pricey side so you save more by buying the larger sizes.

I searched high and low for the best price on repashy, and I'm happy to say that tasty worms has it the cheapest. :) I really enjoy feeding a pro gold/repashy diet.

Do you soak your pellets beforehand? My fish also used to float, till I figured out soaking it fixed the problem. If you haven't tried soaking, give it a go. ;)

Good luck!

One of my ranchus floats on any kind of pellet, not just PG. With other fish in years past, PG was the only pellet that worked well for them, and other brands made them float. I think it varies quite a bit from fish to fish. You have to experiment to see what works for each one.

I also had problems with certain fish getting floaty after eating Pro Gold. In addition, I didn't like how crumbly it was. So, I switched to New Life Spectrum 2mm pellets(medium fish formula) and the floatiness disappeared.

I do pre-soak the NLS in a little cup of tank water just long enough for it all to sink(about a minute). I like the fact that like Pro Gold, NLS is Krill and Fish based with Spirulina and other great ingredients, too. While there are other pellet sizes, I've had the greatest success with the 2mm size. You can get it at most pet stores or order it on Amazon.

The other thing that I've begun to do is clip lettuce in the tank at lunch time to give them something to graze on and clear out the morning protein. Romaine, Red Leaf lettuce or Spinach are all good choices. But my guys like the Red Leaf Lettuce the best. It really seems to keep their systems clear of constipation. It also gives them an activity during the day as they have to work to eat it. In addition, they leave the live plants alone.

Here is my basic weekly diet:

AM = NLS sinking 2mm pellets

Mid = Lettuce or Peas(on alternating days)

PM = Repashy Solient Greens or Bloodworms(on alternating days)

This may not work for everyone. But after trying many different diets, this has produced the best growth rates for me without floatiness.

Hope this helps:)

The other thing I forgot to mention...is that I too, have a Black Moor who takes a while to find the food. I've trained him to eat from a dish that is always in the same place. I feed the fast guys first on the other side of the tank. Then, I have a terracotta dish that I place food in for him through a long gravel siphon tube. He has learned that the siphon tube means dinner and races to the plate as soon as he know the tube is in.

All great suggestions...thanks. I've ordered some Repashy from Amazon, so we'll see how that does. My Black Moor and Oranda don't have any problem with the Pro Gold, but I can't separate them at feeding time, so I guess I'll just stop the Pro Gold. So for now, it's going to be Repashy, small amounts of Omega One, and peas. I might add some kind of lettuce too.

Great information from this site...as always. :)

None of my current fish get floaty on ANY food at the moment, including Pro-Gold.

However, in the past, I have had issues. Pro-Gold wasn't so bad, and others are worse. Saki purple bag was the worst offender. :o

It really depends on the fish. I fed progold and 2 out of 8 got floaty. On the saki purple bag 0 get floaty. But that is just my fish I have heard the opposite from others.

No floaty issues with PG here :) I think it just depends on the fish :idont