Sign in to follow this  
Mernany

? about feeding new little fish.

I've got two new goldfish! Now they are in a 20 gallon tank at the moment but they don't go after the progold food I place in right off the bat like my bigger fish do in the other tank. So I can't tell how much I should really feed them. I know they do eat it all as it disappears off the floor of the tank when I come home in the afternoon! Little piggies....

Tonight I had Cupid with a big thick long strand of poo trailing so I know that she is eating too much but I haven't had that with Cilantro (Cil for short). Any idea on how much progold I should feed these two? Should I not feed them for a 3 days like the poop list says?? I'm also a little worried Cil isn't getting enough food and Cupid is eating it all... haha

Thanks for the help!

You should be feeding between .5-1% the fish's bodyweight in pellet food. Tithra put together a really great thread dictating pellet weights a few months back.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

You should be feeding between .5-1% the fish's bodyweight in pellet food. Tithra put together a really great thread dictating pellet weights a few months back.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

Awesome! How cool I guess I'll need to find a scale to weigh all my fishies! That could be fun!

Now, for dealing with Cupid being a hog... Would it be beneficial to divide the tank for now so I know that Cil is getting enough food?

Awesome! How cool I guess I'll need to find a scale to weigh all my fishies! That could be fun!

Now, for dealing with Cupid being a hog... Would it be beneficial to divide the tank for now so I know that Cil is getting enough food?

You could divide the tank if you wanted, however, I feel it could be easier to just separate the two during feeding time with something as simple as a breeder box. ;)

Perhaps for now you could just supervise feeding time and remove any uneaten food after a few minutes? It could be that Cil is eating, but you aren't noticing it as you are leaving not long afterwards? I'd want to make sure he isn't getting his fair share before you segregate feeding.

Edited by dan in aus

Alright I've been watching him for a couple days and he has been eating just he takes longer to get the courage to go eat. Makes me feel better :)

Now I'd like to start weighing them and the amount of food i feed them. What is a good kind of scale to get? Any good brands?

It's good to hear he's eating his fair share of food. :)

For weighing your fish, any commercial digital kitchen scale should suffice (Amazon sells hundreds of them), you just have to ensure it measures in grams. If you want to measure foods, ideally your scale should be capable of reading 0.1 grams.

Edited by dan in aus

Me too.. :)

Thanks for the advice on the scale! I'll look into it!