Sign in to follow this  
Fluffy

Should I put a divider In the tank?

When feeding whale and bijou, I put food on both sides of my 29 gallon tank. Whale sees the food drop first and goes after it I then show bijou the food for the other side and make sure she sees it drop and goes to that side to eat. As soon as bijou starts to eat whale charges over to Bijou's side of the tank and chases her until bijou drops her food. Whale does this over and over. She won' stop. Bijou runs for her life and in the process drops her food and whale grabs it. These are baby fish. They are covering a lot of territory at this point In time. Bijou tries going to the other side of the tank and whale just follows and continues the chase if bijou has food in her mouth. I am afraid bijou is not getting enough to eat. She is not growing as fast. She is always grazing on the marimo balls because it is the only thing whale does not care if bijou eats. Any advice?

You can teach them to hand feed to control what each of them gets (:

Whale will eat from my hand but bijou is a little more skittish also whale chases her away from my hand. Such a food hog!!!

My ryukin will chase my comet away from the food quite often. Whenever I notice she's in an aggressive mood for the day, I just scoop her out of the tank and set her aside and feed them separately to make sure both get their fair share.

Both great ideas. This morning I tried the hand feeding again but I made sure that whale was at the bottom with a mouthful then kept Bijou's attention at the top. As long as I can keep her close to the top (not at the top gulping air) eating small, dust size pieces and keep whale with mouthful size pieces at the bottom, things went much better. Thank you. :)