Jump to content

Dropsy, belly up and soft


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Hi guys, sadly I havent been around since my last issues and now here I am again!

I went home for the weekend and came back to my oranda floating belly up and pineconed. His stomach is also soft. I put him in a 10g plastic bin with an airstone and added epsom salt. I am hand feeding him MM as much as I can. I got him to eat one last night when I got home and he ate 2 more today. Since he isnt eating, I did at metro powder to his water too.

I kind of forgot some of the basics so I just have a couple quick questions.

-How long can he be in epsom?

-Should I try spinach for the floating or is that more or less part of a dying stage?

-Should I attempt to force feed him mushed up MM? They are definitely pretty old I might add

Poor guy doesnt look good so I am not sure if I should order more MM. Hes not eating much, is it worth going out and buying a heater to speed his metabolism up?

Anything else I am missing? I know, I know... I dont have test results but I have been very good with cleaning the water to the point where the water hasnt concerned me at all up until this point. I can buy a test kit tomorrow if necessary but I have been changing his water a lot since moving him into his hospital tank, as much as I have in the past with my other sick fish and tested their water.

As always, thanks for any help

    Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): Dont have my kit down here but I have him in his bin and changing water constantly.
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none in his hospital tank, 2 AQ 70's in main
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * Water temperature? 72
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 40% weekly- 80% twice daily since yesterday in hosp tank

  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 40% 4 days ago in main, 80% a few hours ago in hosp
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50g main, few years.... 10g hosp since last night
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 other medium size orandas
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pellets, every other day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? metro powder and espsom salt in hosp
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not eating much and floating belly up on top
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi when I first got him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

He is pretty much not with it. I am just letting nature do its thing. He hasnt eaten at all, been belly up, if I touch him he will just purse his lips for about 5-10 seconds.

I have learned with the last fish I have lost, that no matter how hard I attempt to save them, it isnt natural for them and there is no sense in trying to put them through misery any longer than necessary. And he is definitely more sick than the past ones.

Poor buddy, he is my beautiful dark oranda with big chubby cheeks. I am slowly losing all my fish and it is always my favorite ones that go first. Just have 2 left now. Sigh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I have syringed med food into my fish before. I did it without question because I did not feel confident the fish would eat on it's own. I did this for 3 days. The fish is now eating on it's own again.

Mind you I had a thrashing bath of protest every time I did it but once the food was in the fish did not struggle. I hope you find some options you can use to help this fish. :hug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...