Golden orfe

Ratboy0121

Dont really know if i can post him here, but my girlfriend picked me out a fish for a surprise as recently one of my largest shubunkins had died. so she brought home this long slim fish once i ask what it was i realised his a pond fish, and can grow up to 24" i was reluctant to take him back as he was a gift and i have fell in love with him, but if he gets to big and i cant manage he will be given to my neighbor who has 3 of them already and 2 koi :) hes all gold and yellow with a skull like pattern on his forehead

DSC_0556_zpsce3a25c7.jpg

DSC_0554_zps936cf16a.jpg

Oh I never heard about them until just now! Googled them and they seem quite interesting! Now I need to find out what they actually need. At 2feet length they gotta need a huge tank, especially since they are schoalers and need to have at least 4-6 fish.

Very very cute though :)

Oh I never heard about them until just now! Googled them and they seem quite interesting! Now I need to find out what they actually need. At 2feet length they gotta need a huge tank, especially since they are schoalers and need to have at least 4-6 fish.

Very very cute though :)

yes i got a book about them, they should be kept in schoals if they are in a pond, but a tank is fine for them, the man who sold him to my girlfriend asked about my tank she said the size and he said it would be fine untill he reaches a greater size. he as recently joined my shubunkins and is following them round asif it is his own :3 its kinda cute

Edited by Ratboy0121

I've read a lot about them while trying to decide what pond fish to have. They get pretty big, as you said, but can handle dirtier water than koi, which makes them easier to care for. I have yet to see any in stores around us, though. They look so pretty.

I've read a lot about them while trying to decide what pond fish to have. They get pretty big, as you said, but can handle dirtier water than koi, which makes them easier to care for. I have yet to see any in stores around us, though. They look so pretty.

my girlfriend got him from pets at home, for 3 pound, i was shocked at how big they grow, she said he was so pretty and was just on his own felt so sorry for him knowing he would be better of with you, won me over, so i kept him. but if he gets to big he shall be going with my neighbor as i sadly, dont have a pond

Still, being able to be kept in dirtier conditions is no reason to do so. Every fish - hardier or not - deserves to be kept in clean water.

Not saying you are planning to keep him in dirty water - this is just a general statement. :)

I am definitely quite intrigued by these guys!

Still, being able to be kept in dirtier conditions is no reason to do so. Every fish - hardier or not - deserves to be kept in clean water.

Not saying you are planning to keep him in dirty water - this is just a general statement. :)

I am definitely quite intrigued by these guys!

Oh wow, did he already grow this much??! That's insane! :P:

He looks very good though! :)

i know right haha, he looks great, thank you for your kind words, im never getting rid of him, even if he means getting a huge plastic tub with a filter the lot.

You could always do that, get one of these rubbermaid stock tanks and set it up as an indoor pond http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/ponds/tubponds/stock2.jpg

With some creativity you could probably make it look really pretty. :)http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/67488stocktankphoto2.jpg

I personally would love something like that. :D

You could always do that, get one of these rubbermaid stock tanks and set it up as an indoor pond http://www.fishpondi...onds/stock2.jpg

With some creativity you could probably make it look really pretty. :)http://gallery.petho...ktankphoto2.jpg

I personally would love something like that. :D

oh yes i would love to do this!! but my dad most likely wouldn't like this idea, id probs just get a bigger tank if we move house.

Well that works too! :D Or if you have a garden / patio / or similar, you could set one up outside too - if that's ok with your Dad of course. :)

iv seen the house we are getting if possible, hahaha not much of a garden but ill keep my fingers crossed because my girlfriend will castrate me if i get rid of this fish haha!! hmm i have also done an update on the black moor if youd like to have a look at that

Well that works too! :D Or if you have a garden / patio / or similar, you could set one up outside too - if that's ok with your Dad of course. :)

iv seen the house we are getting if possible, hahaha not much of a garden but ill keep my fingers crossed because my girlfriend will castrate me if i get rid of this fish haha!! hmm i have also done an update on the black moor if youd like to have a look at that

absolutely, let me go see! :)